Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner July 2010

Gift List details - Should this be left off evening invitation?

WendyQ, 10 October, 2009 at 09:42 Posted on Planning 0 20

Hi everyone,

I've done guest info cards to go with my invitations, just containing directions, accomodation details, gift list etc. The gift list section just states that we don't have one as have lived together for a long time so please don't feel that you need to bring a gift as your company on the day is the most important thing for us. If you do want to bring a gift, a small contribution towards our honeymoon would be brilliant, or a small gift of your choice if you prefer.

What I was wondering is whether this can be included on the guest info cards that I put with the evening invitations or should it only be included with the daytime ones? I've read somewhere that you shouldn't put gift list info with evening invitations. Is this correct?

Thanks!

20 replies

Latest activity by KirstHall33, 13 October, 2009 at 16:39
  • GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Can't really help you as i'm not a fan of gift lists but I think the general un-written rule is that they don't go in evening invitations.

However, it's entirely up to you. There is no right or wrong way really. I've received evening invitations with and without gift lists included.

I'd say if you're asking some guests why not ask them all...

• 22tango
    Beginner April 2010
    22tango ·
    • Hide content

I don't really know about evening guests - I would assume that as they are not invited for the whole day (ie you are not providing them with a meal etc - as harsh as that sounds) that they would not be required to bring a gift. We are having the same guests for the whole day so not something I looked into.

GeordieBarbie - are you not mentioning gifts at ll in your invite?

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

BUT... (playing devils advocate here) - you often provide evening guests with a buffett so why shouldn't you not send them a list...?

We can't decide what to do about the gift list thing. See my post about the big gift question... ?

• 22tango
    Beginner April 2010
    22tango ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

very true I forgot about buffet - as I mentioned we don't have evening guests so didn't think of that. humm now I really don't know! got any OMs you can ask?

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

I think honestly - it's entirely up to you/ Do what you feel is right...

Like I said, i've received both in the past so it's really up to you. I think, if I was stipulating something about gifts, I would put it on all invitations.

• W
    Beginner July 2010
    WendyQ ·
    • Hide content

Hi, what's an OM?! I'm leaning towards not including it but I know people will still bring gifts and I really can't fit anything into our tiny house! Also, we are really struggling to be able to afford our honeymoon (never mind spends!) so would rather if someone did want to give us a gift they helped us towards that rather than buying us vouchers for something else

• 22tango
    Beginner April 2010
    22tango ·
    • Hide content

Wendy sounds like a good idea - money towards honeymoon. Sorry, OM: Old Married

• W
    Beginner July 2010
    WendyQ ·
    • Hide content

Oh, ha ha, old married! gawd, I'm going to be one of them next year!

• 22tango
    Beginner April 2010
    22tango ·
    • Hide content

Himm me thinks I'm half way there - got the old! heehee

this time next year I'm hoping to be on baby talk forum...

• W
    Beginner July 2010
    WendyQ ·
    • Hide content

Me too! I'll see you there ?

• 22tango
    Beginner April 2010
    22tango ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

you've got a deal! hee hee...

• MarieMarie1980
    Beginner August 2010
    MarieMarie1980 ·
    • Hide content

Hi wendy,

I really like the way you have worded your text about a gift list... Nice and polite and to the point!

• W
    Beginner July 2010
    WendyQ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aw thanks! Figured it's better to be in less debt following the honeymoon than have nice household items!

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure but I would think that some evening guests would also like to buy you a pressie.

We were thinking about asking guests for love2travel vouchers which would go towards our honeymoon - just a suggestion

• N
    Beginner
    niccles ·
    • Hide content

Hi - i was recently invited as an evening guest with guest list included. I wasn't offended by this. It makes my life easy as I would have got them a present anyway.

Regarding asking guests for contributions towards a honeymoon, I would recommend registering with an online gift list website and ask for donations to your honeymoon.

www.Whatidlove.co.uk is one I can recommend. You can spend the money on any part of the honeymoon - flights, meals, hotels... your choice.

Enjoy

• bladette
    Beginner July 2010
    bladette ·
    • Hide content

I think it is extremely rude to include a gift list with an invitation. I feel you should wait until someone asks about a gift before presenting them with a list, whether you have invited them to your wedding or not.

Would you invite someone to your birthday party and include a gift list with the invite?

• woo-woo
    Beginner
    woo-woo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't think we will be doing a gift list but I really must disagree that they are extremely rude, everyone is entitled to an opinion but the OP didn't ask for our opinions about gift lifts she just asked if they should be included in the evening invite.

It may not be for everyone, but it is definately the done and expected thing for a wedding. Only reason we're not doing it is we have lived together for 8 years, have 2 kids and couldn't possibly fit anything else into our home!

Anyway I thought I would put in our invite that "we want guests presence not their presents" but is this cheesey lol???

• Bridget Gump
    Bridget Gump ·
    • Hide content

I found if you don't tell people they'll normally just give cash/vouchers anyway. I did put details of our tiny giftlist on both day and evening invitations as most people, whether day or evening, will want to buy a gift.

• M
    Beginner September 2007
    MrsKitty ·
    • Hide content

I am never offended if I receive an invitation (day or evening) that includes a gift list, like others have said, it makes it easier!

When we got married we decided not to include a gift list or money/voucher request in with our invitations. In fact we actually said we did not want anything from our guests except their company on our wedding day (and we meant it!) but you tend to find that most people actually want to give you a gift of some kind and apart from some gorgeous crystal glasses (and one rather bazaar just-add-boiling-water pasta cooker) all our guests gave us money, which we then used to pay off our honeymoon.

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

If i got invited to a wedding, even for the evening only, i would provide a present. You wouldn't go to a birthday without one, so why a wedding!? A gift list is nice and easy, it tells me what the want! If no gift list was provided i would ask what they want or send cash. For our wedding we're not having a gift list as my OH and I currently live in seperate houses, each with a load of stuff! And we are planning to sort out a 'real grown up house' in the year after the wedding so would spend the cash or vouchers we receive then. We simply don't have room to put 5 toasters, a collection of towels and a crystal vase!

Sorry.. i blabbled there!.. In answer to OP, maybe, it's up to you. I'm slightly inclinded to say just dayinvites only, and let people know what you want if they ask for evening invites. I'm not very helpful am i!?

• K
    Beginner September 2010
    KirstHall33 ·
    • Hide content

We are asking for a contribution towards our honeymoon as am living with my H2B already and have everything need in the house. we have made a nice lil poem up so it doesnt sound too formal that you are asking for money. I think its your own preference on what you include in the invites but I am including the poem in the evening invites also. As a previous evening guest, I was just as honoured to be invited to the reception as i would have been the wedding and would not have gone without a present. Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics