Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

panda2011
Beginner September 2011

Gift List - how much should I allow per guest?

panda2011, 13 June, 2011 at 15:38 Posted on Planning 0 10

I know gift lists are a contraversial subject but we decided to have one for our wedding. What I can't decide though is how much I should be putting on it! I've only got 1 item that is expensive (my KitchenAid mixer which I think my MIL will buy for me), the rest of the items start from about £6 with most being well under £20 in value. I expect most people will get us 2-3 small bits & think there will be an average spend of about £30 per guest (taking into account couples/single people & kids). Obviously you need to put more on a gift list than you actually expect to get so that people don't feel pressured into buying more than they can comfortably afford if they find that only the more expensive items are left, but at the same time I don't want to seem greedy by sticking too much on the gift list. How much extra do most people ask for on their gift lists? TIA

10 replies

Latest activity by raincloud, 13 June, 2011 at 18:02
  • sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

If you're mostly going for small items then I think 5 per person is fine. We are planning on doing that for ours. Remember that you can always add more stuff on later if people buy you more than expected.

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

We just put things on our list that we wanted - we didnt go with a number of things if that makes sense.

As it is our one of our lists have been bought up completely & they've rang me twice to go in & put more on it but there is nothing else we want in that shop so Ive told them no & that we dont want gift vouchers either - we dont want to be tied to anywhere particular. We want a dyson hoover but way too expensive to put on a list so hopefully people will give us £ now there is nothing left on list and we can use it for the hoover. lol.

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

We've decided not to have a gift list but so say to people if they want to get us anything, then IKEA vouchers would be appreciated!

xx

• kittykat9/9
    Beginner October 2011
    kittykat9/9 ·
    • Hide content

Just done ours in House of Fraser this weekend and they said to average £30 per invite (assuming you have invited a couple on one invite and not an invite per person) but as others have said they will call you if you need to add more. For the bigger items, they suggested we put a note on saying we would like the item but know it is out of peoples budgets so any gift vouchers given will all be going towards that particular item.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Would love a KitchenAid!

I think it's a good idea to add a gift voucher option as well on the list. Then it doesn't matter if you haven't chosen enough and also if people are left with items out of their budget.

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content

Can people club together and buy a big gift ?

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

We put gift vouchers on as well so people could just give us something towards a bigger gift.

We took loads off our list as originally I put too much on, we kept the things on there that we really wanted as I had images of all the "fillers" going first and the things we wanted being left!

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

We just added everything we wanted/needed. Anything that is left (there are a few bits) we'll buy with the voucher we got for opening the list!

• raincloud
    Beginner August 2011
    raincloud ·
    • Hide content

We are just adding on things we need/want and not worrying about a certain amount. Ours go from approx £5 upwards. To be honest I don't expect many presents outside family as I have said to friends I just want them there and I know that will cost them money as it is. I know some people like my cousins will club together to get us one of the larger items.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics