Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

HayleyMay
Beginner September 2012

Gift list wording help please...!!

HayleyMay, 24 of April of 2012 at 20:40 Posted on Planning 0 16

Hi,

Firstly I just want to say this is not intended as a post debating whether or not gift lists are cheeky ?

I'd just like some help trying to word what we may include in our day invitations.

OH and I have been renovating a house since August and are due to move in this weekend (YAY!!) so we have EVERYTHING we need house-wise as we've been buying bits and bobs for two year. When I say everything, I mean everything! A chaise lounge, fridge magnets, 5 vases etc!

The only thing we need/want is sometime together! With my final year in uni, OH working 70/80hour weeks then spending everynight wiring or plumbing or fitting our kitchen we've barely had time to relax together, so what we'd really like is a honeymoon.

(Sorry for the long-winded story!)

With house costs we shan't be booking a honeymoon then asking guests to 'reimburse' it. We'd like to see how much we have then book a holiday within that budget.

Any ideas on how to word this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks hitchers!!

?

16 replies

Latest activity by Country Flower, 3 of May of 2012 at 15:28
  • G
    Beginner June 2012
    GerrieS ·
    • Hide content

This is what we've sent out (bearing in mind we've lived together for 7 years and you are only just moving in together):-

WEDDING GIFT

We've lived together quite a while, with all our pots and pans. And as we don't need any homely gifts, we've got another plan!

We know it's not traditional, but an awful lot more fun, to have items on our wedding list, to help us catch some sun!

So if you'd like to give a gift, and send us on our way, a donation to our honeymoon, would really make our day!

I've also received a wedding invitation with the following inclusion:-

We hope that you can make it on our very special day, by accepting this invitation and posting it when you may.

If you're thinking of what to get us as a wedding gift, a contribution to our honeymoon would be great.....but only if you insist!

Hope these help.

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

Thanks a lot! Great ideas. I was a fan of honeymoon poems but now I'm not so sure. Any other examples from anyone to give me a few ideas of wording?

?

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

When H and I got married, we simply said that our guests presence, not presents were all we'd need, but if they wanted to give us something to start us off in married life then we would greatly appreciate IKEA gift vouchers to help with furnishing our new home.

We recieved a lot of IKEA vouchers, a few John Lewis vouchers and cash from guests.

I guess if you want money instead of gifts, then simply stating that if your guests wish to give you a gift then a cash gift would be preferable.

When I'm invited to a wedding, I know that I don't have to get the couple anything, but I always feel I should. So giving people an idea of what you would like is helpful. so long as they know it's optional, not necessary!

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

Thank you RKB. I like the way you've worded it. I wanted to make it known that it was optional. Some of the quotes I've found on google almost appear as though its a demand.

I like the idea of saying something like 'While your presence, not presents is all we need, for those who would like to give us a gift to start us off into married life what we'd really appreciate if sometime together after spending a year renovating our home, therefore we would really appreciate money towards a honeymoon.'

Something like that perhaps? Or is it a bit long-winded? I do want to put in why we would prefer honeymoon money and not gifts.

• M
    Beginner
    MAG2FMC ·
    • Hide content

I think delicately but to the point is the best options. How about:

We hope you can join us in celebrating our marriage! Please know that your presence is the best gift you could provide. Please do not feel obligated to give anything else. But should you feel inclined, we are very much looking forward to a honeymoon and any contribution towards that will always be sincerely appreciated.

• Kalie85
    Beginner
    Kalie85 ·
    • Hide content

We asked for money to help us with our honeymoon as we were in exactly the same position as you. We set up an account with buyourhoneymoon.com and they sent out beautiful little cards with the web address on so we made up little cards and envelopes to put in the invitations along with this poem

When thinking of a gift for us, we ask if you'd please consider, contributing to our honeymoon, to make it all the sweeter. Our house is full of all the things, a couple could require, and so a holiday away, is what we most desire. Then while we're relaxing on the beach, or by the pool so blue, we'll sit back and know, that it is truly thanks to you!

Some people may find it cheesy, but it worked for us.

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think this would be fine. I'm sure most of your guests will know how long you've been spending on your home and that you've probably mentioned to a lot of them that you are looking forward to having some down time away from it all after the wedding.

If I read that in an invite i would be happy to give a cash gift.

• schiocco
    Beginner July 2012
    schiocco ·
    • Hide content

We've not even said the 'all we want is your presence bit' because I think that's a given seeing as we're inviting them. We've simply put 'should you wish to get us a gift, john lewis vouchers would be greatly appreciated'.

I don't mind what wording arrives to me on invites though, whether it's a poem or whatever. But I would always rather be told instead of no mention at all as I'd prefer to get a something the couple actually want rather than a stab-in-the-dark gift.

• cford09
    Beginner March 2013
    cford09 ·
    • Hide content

We said this:

Please do not feel obliged to give us a gift - all we really want is to have a lovely wedding which we can share with our friends and family and the fact that you are making the effort to attend really means to world to us.

If you do wish to give a gift for the wedding but are unsure as to what get, we have set up a gift list to help towards our dream honeymoon and offer our heartfelt thanks if you decide to contribute this way.

I'm not a fan of poems but am not offended by them if I receive an invitation with one.

I was offended when we got one that simply says:

Gifts: We would like contributions towards our honeymoon.

I found it a little too much to the point and was even more offended when I asked where they were going (Turkey) so I could go and get them some currency, thinking this was a nice way of contributing, and they told me they don't want currency, they want English money. This made me feel like they were going to spend it on something else. So I went out today and bought them 100 Turkish Lira :-)

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Most invitations I've seen or gotten simply said at the bottom, "The bride and groom are registered at______"

I was never offended, as it's expected that there will be a gift registry. If you want to do a honeymoon gift list instead, I'd suggest you register with a service that does it, so you can still basically phrase it the same. If I got a wedding invitation that said a couple had everything they need for their home, but wanted a bit of time together after the wedding, I'd wonder why they didn't just say "The bride and groom are registered with _____ for contributions to their honeymoon." Or some such.

I don't think wedding guests ever think twice about the wording on the invitations; Brides, on the other hand, over-think it most of the time!

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

I worried terribly over this issue as we wanted to ask for money towards our honeymoon and i had mixed comments from everywhere but i wrote something similar indeed to Hayleymay and it was a little insert card added in the pocket fold with the directions card and accommodation. We have had lots of people who have received the invites tell us how they think it is a good idea as lots of couples already live together and have everything you would usually buy a married couple. I have also when in conversation with people said in a round about way that we felt cheeky putting it but lots of people have said they think it is a good idea and also helps people out when they wouldn't have known what to buy you. They can just put the money in their card.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

We put a small note in the "extra information" details along with the cab numbers, maps etc right at the bottom.

Gifts:

J and B are not having a traditional gift lift and your company on their big day is all they could ask for. However, if you do wish to give them a present then a contribution to their honeymoon fund would be greatly appreciated!

• Zoomo13
    Beginner August 2015
    Zoomo13 ·
    • Hide content

Ours will say

your presence at our wedding is gift enough but if you do wish to buy us something a contribution towards our dream honeymoon would be appreciated

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone! Theres some great ideas for wording there; lots to think about.

We did consider the honeymoon-website-donation-thing but I think we'll probably be getting a last minute one with whatever amount of money our guests are kind enough to contribute. Its kind of exciting doing it that way!!

Cford09 - Just had to say that if I offered someone currency for their honeymoon country and they said they wanted english money instead I'd be inclined not to get them anything! Or maybe just a really big and ugly fruit bowl or aomething! Thats a bit cheeky I think.

• Miss_EmiB
    Beginner October 2013
    Miss_EmiB ·
    • Hide content

On our invites at the bottom we'll just be putting:

Your presence is all we ask but should you wish to give us a gift then 'Cash' towards our honeymoon/1st family holiday would be very much appreciated.

x

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    mrs jenkins 2 b ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hijack the thread

I am getting married in devon, and then having a reception in solihull. So would it be cheeky of me to ask for money on my invites because i know people are going to want to get us something.

• C
    Beginner June 2012
    Country Flower ·
    • Hide content

We are in a similar situation and put something along the lines of

We do not have a traditional gift list, all we want is for you to share our special day. For those who wish to buy a small gift then travel vouchers towards out Honeymoon would be appreciated.

Like the original post - We are also not booking the honey moon until after the wedding - it will be a last minute surprise. That way I think that that people know the money is for a Honeymoon. I wouldn't feel right booking a fancy honeymoon and hoping to make that back.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics