Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2015

Gift List wording help please

machollie85, 13 of January of 2014 at 14:51 Posted on Planning 0 15

Can anyone help please:

I have looked over poems but none really say what we want it to say. We don't want a gift list as don't anything we would rather have the cash to use towards things.

NOT VERY GOOD WITH WORDING THINGS Smiley sad need to word for the following:

I want to put across their presence is required not their presants, but if they want to give a gift we would prefer money for our honeymoon, savings or to put towards finishing off our Denby set.

We don't want to do a gift list for Denby as we have bits and bobs already and don't want it duplicated so easier to have the money if people do want to gift us so we can buy what we need and that way their gift is more appreciated and used.

15 replies

Latest activity by AuntieBJ, 19 of February of 2014 at 08:46
  • jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

When my cousin got married a few years ago they had something along the lines of

"We are asking all our guests to not buy us gifts as your attendance at our wedding is special enough, but if you prefer to give us a gift we would prefer money to go towards our honeymoon"

Our you could put thomas cook vouchers, my sister done that. Not too sure if you can get denby vouchers.

Hope that helps ?

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

Prezola do specific Denby items on their website and you can get little cards from there to pop in with your invites, we're looking at Prezola as you can ask for money and include items too for those wanting to purchase a "physical" gift.

If that helps?

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    machollie85 ·
    • Hide content

Not sure on using a website we really dont want to register fro any type of gift list... If people want to get us a gift thats fine but we are looking for wording to pop on guest info - its such a tricky thing to do.

I think being honest and upfront is the best thing to do as people will appreciate giving something that you want and need and will get put to good use so then not wasting there money too, but deffo worth looking at that site as well.

• T
    Beginner September 2014
    Teresa14 ·
    • Hide content

we really hope that you can join us
    on our special day
    you'll make our memories complete
    in every single way
    we do not have a gift list
    and we know you'll understand
    our house and contents are complete
    with pots and plates and pans!
    but should you really want to give
    and celebrate this way
    a gift of money would be lovely
    for a rainy day

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

We didn't mention gifts at all on the invitation but we have a wedding website where we put something long the line of:

'The best gift you could give us is just to be at our special day. If however you still wish to give another gift we would appreciate money towards our honeymoon & our new life as Mr and Mrs X'

I genuinely am not fussed whether give us a gift or not but I definitely didn't want to hide asking for money as opposed to a gift list behind a poem.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're not mentioning gifts at all but i'd use wording like this and steer clear of the poems personally, I think straight to the point is always best!

• MrsG_to_be
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsG_to_be ·
    • Hide content

I'm struggling on this subject too. Attending a wedding is expensive as it is and our guests have to travel about 3 hours to get to ours which means also booking overnight accommodation so I don't want to ask for gifts too! I just want them to come! I was going to say on the info card that we don't expect a gift but now I'm being told some guests prefer to have the option. But if I say we don't want presents but then register just in case I feel it looks a bit insincere.

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

Maybe don't include anything & provide it on request.

• ShropshireLass
    Beginner April 2014
    ShropshireLass ·
    • Hide content

We didn't have any mention of gifts with our invitations & to the couple of guests who've emailed us asking for ideas we've just said we really don't want/need anything however are extremely grateful & appreciative of any gift they give should they wish to bring one.

I think the general consensus for wedding gifts these days is mostly money anyways, (and maybe the odd photo frame/champagne flutes). If you want to put something though, why not just what you've put in your op? Short, simple and to the point and not hiding behind a silly rhyme or cringey poem!

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

We haven't mentioned gifts at all. If people have asked we have politely said we don't need anything but if they insist then a contribution or currency would be a lovely gesture for our honeymoon.

i think silence is the best policy x

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

Just to warn everyone if the £50 toaster woman pops up on here I'm leaving!!!

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

Slou- Actually my toaster has decided it only wants to toast one side lately, I quite fancy a nice 4 slicer chrome jobby as a replacement. Whattya think it's worth?

OP - We told our Mums we weren't doing a gift list and people really wanted to give us something we would prefer money. Relatives then kept insisting on a gift list from our Mums and a few friends asked us directly too. So we made a honeyfund gift list so people can buy us honeymoon experiences and gave the details to people who wanted it. My Mum reckons older relatives (especially my Gran) preferred the idea of buying us something rather than just giving money even though really they are still giving us money.

• leecindy
    Beginner November 2014
    leecindy ·
    • Hide content

Choose the most romantic thing you want to share.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

We didn't ask for anything, we got mostly money. No requests necessary (although I suspect my Mum put the word out if asked....)

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Don't ask.

If people ask you, give them some ideas from your Denby at reasonable prices you think they might be able to afford.

if the don't ask, be grateful for what, if anything, they choose to give.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics