Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N
Beginner June 2013

gift lists?

natsastar, 22 February, 2012 at 11:20 Posted on Planning 0 9

We have no idea whether to go with a company or what to do. we live together but dont actually have anything for a house together of our own...(live with my dad so we can save to buy our own house - cheaper that way! ? )

what are you all asking for? do you have companies involved with your gift lists or your honeymoon vouchers, etc?

9 replies

Latest activity by becomingmrsevans, 22 February, 2012 at 15:40
  • venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

We're going with John Lewis. I know lots of people sometimes do 2 giftlists so guests can have more choice, or have one for honeymoon contributions or charity donations, or the like. I like the traditional gift lists, and I like John Lewis, so I'm going with that.

I have a gift registry for a bridal shower (yay north american wedding traditions) with Not on the High Street, which is a really interesting source for gifts. Very quirky stuff, though I'm considering cancelling it after recently finding out that you can buy those items directly from the stores selling them on NOTHS for less than they charge through HOTHS.

• L
    Beginner April 2012
    LEMBS8 ·
    • Hide content

We're also doing John Lewis and have registered for things like serving dishes, a knife set, cookware... we live in a furnished apartment so only have a few bits of our own. We also made an account with Our Wishing Well for cash gifts.

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

We are in the same situation as we have been living together for 5 years and dont really need anything. We have opted for vouchers towards our honeymoon - unfortunatley we booked with First Choice who dont offer this facility as we have to pay for the whole honeymoon about now, sister company Thompson allows it and other travel agents do. So we have raided our savings even more and asked for cash donations instead.

• freckles87
    Beginner May 2013
    freckles87 ·
    • Hide content

We live together and will have been for 4 years by the time the wedding comes around, so we will most likely be asking for honeymoon vouchers.

My sister has looked into both Debenhams and John Lewis gift listing and says John Lewis is better as they give you some decent free stuff when you sign up (I'm not sure what this stuff is!)

• SWEETPEA23
    SWEETPEA23 ·
    • Hide content

John Lewis were tasked with managing our list. It all seemed fine until after the list closed and some items were out of stock and 'on order' and then weeks later when we collect our goods the item 'on order' turned to out of stock! all these items had been bought months before by guest when 'in stock' in good faith, but John Lewis didn't put them to one side as you would expect, or inform the wedding guest. these items had loving messages explaining why guests had selected these presents. John Lewis wait until the list is closed to work out if they have stock of the items. As you can imagine vouchers in replacement don't really cut it, and so we pushed for money as we didn't have the hearts to explain to guests that we bought something else instead! (When I say pushed in mean pushed - lots of emails & phone calls later!) so that we could buy these items that guests had selected from other retailers, sometimes at a higher price. We also had boxes containing broken and damaged goods and when we tried to replace them we were told they had sold out. You would think that everything put into a gift list box would be perfect and checked as they know it was a wedding present! I would recommend shopping around, even if you have opened a gifty list with John Lewis you don't have to use it.

Lots of shops and online retailers now have gift lists (see below) , or you could leave a list with a loved one to manage and have them tick off once items have been bought.

http://www.weddingshop.com/

http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/weddings

• C
    Beginner August 2012
    Crowdpleaser ·
    • Hide content

We are going with Debenhams mainly because their dinner sets they stock match what we already have some of at home!

The Milton Keynes store has a wedding weekend this weekend, lots of suplliers amd some free stuff if you sign up for list etc HTH x

• V
    Beginner June 2012
    Vicloveschocolate ·
    • Hide content

I am afraid we ended up asking for money towards our honeymoon. We bought our own house last year and so have not been on holiday for 3 years as our money went into the deposit. For us therefore a nice honeymoon means a lot more than things for our house at the moment.

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

We're asking for john lewis or bnq vouchers coz we're doing up the house

• becomingmrsevans
    Beginner August 2012
    becomingmrsevans ·
    • Hide content

Ours is with the Marriage Gift List - it's free and allows you to link to things on any online shop. We wanted to have a range of items - so works really well for us. We have the best man as a contact on there for if people have any issues, so as we don't know what's going on once we've added the items.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics