Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Dedicated October 2022 East London

Gifts

Ebony, 30 of August of 2022 at 22:35 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 6
My fiancé and I got engaged last year but postponed the wedding due to ivf treatments but we've now bought it forward due to family illness. Initially we were going to ask for money as gifts but my mother thinks that's crass, we thought of suggesting people donate to a few chosen charities but I know some people want to buy us a nice gift but my mother also thinks since we're in our late thirties we shouldn't ask for gifts so I'm kinda at a loss.
What should we do? What's gift list etiquette? I have champagne taste (on a cider budget) and like nice things but don't expect others to pay for it. Help!

6 replies

Latest activity by Ebony, 2 of September of 2022 at 08:37
  • Lucy
    Savvy September 2022 Hampshire
    Lucy ·
    • Hide content
    Please don’t worry what your mother thinks. Most of your friends who are a different generation I’m sure will be more than happy to buy a gift or give money.
    We like together and have everything we need so requested gifts as money towards our honeymoon. Loads of people have donated so they must be happy with it 😊
  • H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content

I suggest you ignore your mother's comments and go with asking for money if you have particular things you would want to do with it. Most guests will be happy to give money if they know it's going to something special, rather than just going to pay the bills. I personally don't like the money poems that people put on invites and think they are a bit cringe. I wouldn't ask for money as such but if guests raise the topic and ask if you have a gift list or are happy with cash then you can say cash is fine.

• Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    We asked for money for our honeymoon/familymoon and wrote on our invite insert something like this (no poem as agree they are a bit cringe) - as we live together we have everything we need but if you would like to contribute to our honeymoon here is a PayPal link and it is much appreciated.
    We actually received a lot of money this way and also through cash in cards. In fact we got over £2000! We are older than you (45 and 50) and no one had a problem with this. We are using the money for a familymoon with my two daughters to Disney in Florida next April so a very special holiday. I would ignore your mother and do your own thing.
  • E
    Ebony ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh wow, that's brilliant, you'll have a lovely time. Yes, I think if you make it clear that you want the money for a honeymoon and no cringe poem, people will be more inclined to gift you. Plus I saves them trawling through a wedding list or looking for something.
  • E
    Ebony ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's the thing, noone has raised the topic, perhaps because it's a short notice wedding. We'll pop it on the invite.
  • E
    Ebony ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah, after the last two shit show years we've had we deserve a nice honeymoon and I think people will be happy to donate.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics