Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

itgirlno1
Beginner June 2010

Gifts from evening guests

itgirlno1, 20 of May of 2010 at 17:13 Posted on Planning 0 10

Did anyone put gift list thingamies in with their evening invites?

Cos we didn't with any of our invites and now we've had a change of ceremony venue, we're including gift list details in with the amendment cards we're sending out this week. We're unsure of whether to put them in the evening guests' ones....

Help please! Am writing out the amendment cards now ready for printing tomorrow...

Thanks! x x x

10 replies

Latest activity by LooseLadie, 21 of May of 2010 at 16:36
  • Saracroft251
    Beginner August 2010
    Saracroft251 ·
    • Hide content

Personally I wouldn't - but I have recieved one before as an evening guest

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Nor i.... dont think its etiquette to ask evening guests for a gift......

• lamby
    Beginner August 2010
    lamby ·
    • Hide content

I wondered this but then a similar thread appeared a while ago and in the majority people seemed to think it was fine. From that I was planning to - but with a note in saying we didn't expect anything. I just think this I guess because personally, as a guest, eve or day I much, much prefer a gift choice and in evening invites i've received at least half have included a gift list/request for vouchers etc.

But now I've read this I'm not sure we should (literally sending our eve invites out this weekend!) Hmmm. We've sort of even considered items that eve guests may like to buy, e.g. put items on our list for around £10-£15. Not because we expect a gift but because we thought it would make it easier for those that want to. Not sure what to do now!

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Of course you will recieve gifts from evening guests but its not the norm. The way i see it, if you are invited during the day a gift to the bride n groom is also a means of thanking them for sharing the entire day at great expense.....plus you are there during the day as you are nearest and dearest. Evening guests arent costing as much (in a way) and arent necc 'as close'.

From my evening guests we recieved a few vouchers, a dinner set and a humerous key fob. I had many cousins who didnt give us anything but twas lovely for them to be there...

• emmy1979
    Rockstar June 2023 West Yorkshire
    emmy1979 ·
    • Hide content

Hmm, I'm not putting anything in either day or evening but I suppose it would be useful. Will people not just ask you what you want anyway and then you can just direct them to the gift list?

Sorry thread hijack - lamby can't believe it's time to send out the invites!!!!!! Mine haven't arrived yet from printers. Better get a wriggle on. ?

• itgirlno1
    Beginner June 2010
    itgirlno1 ·
    • Hide content

I didn't put anything in either of them but have been feeling uncomfortable when people come and ask me! So now I'm giving the directive out on our amendments (venue change) to make it easier.

I felt really rude about it...we've decided we're not going to ask evening guests but will put it on the day guests

Thanks for your help peeps, greatly appreciated x

• Amethyst
    Beginner October 2010
    Amethyst ·
    • Hide content

Our evening guests will receive similar guest info to the day guests & I'll include info re: gifts. Of course we don't expect anything but if people do intend to buy gifts then they have a steer that they can follow or not - completely up to them!

I don't see gifts as a 'thank you' for the day more as a gift given to be used in married life or in celebration of their wedding. I've declined evening invites in the past & still sent a card and token gift.

• bethanw
    Beginner May 2010
    bethanw ·
    • Hide content

Our day and evening invites were exactly the same. I couldn't be doing with faffing around with different invites. So the gift info went with both.

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

not sure if i would include them in the evening ones myself. I might not be putting them in my invites at all. Our parents, (OH's esp!!) are quite oldfashioned and think its a bit cheeky to "ask for a gift!!" I dont but i dont wantr to upset the in laws too much!! They will just fond ppl ringing them steady to find out where the list is!!

• Debbie Graham Jewellery
    Debbie Graham Jewellery ·
    • Hide content

We did not put a gift list in with our evening invites but just about everybody who came gave us a gift of some kind

Debbie

x

• L
    Beginner
    LooseLadie ·
    • Hide content

I havent put them in my invites. I felt a bit cheaky... as if they can only come if they buy a gift!

Im sure people who want to buy gifts will just ask what we want :o/

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics