Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

sophamie
Beginner May 2013

Ginger bridesmaids

sophamie, 10 of July of 2009 at 03:33 Posted on Planning 0 22

Hi

Im trying to figure out what colour to have my bridesmaids' dresses. I'm useless with knowing what colours suit other people, and I have the problem of my bridesmaids being ginger...one *really* ginger, and the other in strawberry blonde sort of ginger. Could people please suggest what colours would suit them and not clash with their hair!?

Thanks

Sophamie

22 replies

Latest activity by WilliamLewis, 11 of April of 2023 at 20:56
  • teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

A) call them red heads, Ginger is so insulting. (My OH is a red head)

b) ask them! simple way of doing it 'what colours would you like to wear?'

• 22tango
    Beginner April 2010
    22tango ·
    • Hide content

Teal or green maybe? If you don't feel comfortable asking have a look at what colours wear themselves maybe. or google some fashion shots, blue would work well -

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the greens, teals and blues - they always look stunning on all range of red head shades....

(I know that these aren't red heads, so you'll have to use your imagination!)

Or here are some auburn belles working the pinks...

x

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Oooo lovely pics.......

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

My original colouring is Ginger (I don't mind being called Ginger and don't find it insulting at all! A lot of my family and friends still call me Ginger as a pet name!) and the colours that suited me were pretty much the same as those which suit me now I'm blonde as my skin is still fair with freckles. So warm colours such as creams, golds, browns, teal, greens, hyacinth blues, pastel pinks etc. If they are adult bridesmaids, they will probably already know what colours suit them best.

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content

Why don't you look in the trashy mags at what celebs like Marcia Cross and Isla Fisher wear to events....

• Cosmopolitan
    Beginner August 2010
    Cosmopolitan ·
    • Hide content

Ooooh I adore Isla Fisher and would love her hair. Its just gorgeous.

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me too! So much nicer than my "dishwater blonde" hair (as my hairdresser referred to it!)

x

• Cosmopolitan
    Beginner August 2010
    Cosmopolitan ·
    • Hide content

I think our hair is a similar colour OLL, I've tried to dye it red but it just wasnt me!

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would LOVE to try brown or auburn, but I don't have the guts to!

I once phoned OH on the way home from the hairdressers and told him I'd had my hair dyed brown and chopped into a bob and he went mental! He was really upset. Luckily he laughed when I eventually told him I was fibbing! x

• PennyFarthing
    Beginner
    PennyFarthing ·
    • Hide content

What about these:-

I have a red headed son and I find that very pastel and white colours make him look quite pasty and so I put him in all kinds of vibrant colours - red, orange, green - HTH

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

I think greens and blues look lovely on red heads

• chocoholic_claire
    Beginner August 2010
    chocoholic_claire ·
    • Hide content

My bridesmaid is a red head- I asked her what she would like and she suggested blue, so we're going to go with a nice bright blue (probably turquiose). I agree, just ask her what she likes!

Claire

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nothing to add to the OP other than ask them what colours are a big no no!

I did this with my OH and told him i had it cut into a bob as i was sick of getting my neck all hot! He went mental too! I even took a pic of the back of someone elses head to show him! haha!!!! My hair wouldn't go in a bob, it would look like a short afro! Too thick and wavy! x

• *Little_Jen*
    Beginner July 2009
    *Little_Jen* ·
    • Hide content

My mum is a red head but what ever you do dont but them in pinks! Red heads usually have very fiar skin and make them look washed out (so my mum tells me) Green, midnigh bluem, burnt orange, and purles look nice on my mum!

Here's a pic of my mum in a orange dress in which she wore for my brothers wedding last year.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3615249&l=b2df596fb5&id=533770304

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3615294&l=1475962689&id=533770304

HTH

jen xx

• BonnieLass
    BonnieLass ·
    • Hide content

IMO it's more to do with what skin tones they have rather than the colour of their hair. Red hair can go with any colour, just as blonde & brunette does.

Maybe you should go out with them & try a variety of colours in different shades & see what suits that way.

All of the pics already posted are great ?

• Munchkin28
    Munchkin28 ·
    • Hide content

Hi there!!

I have been a ginger bride and am about to be a ginger bridesmaid too so hopefully I can help.

I can understand that its a bit difficult to match up colours, i previously was going to be a ginger bridesmaid in fuschia pink, which really looked shocking on me with my pale skin (even with all the fake tan in the world!!). Now I have a gorgeous pinky purple colour called Mulberry.

For my wedding bridesmaids were in aqua.

Colours I would suggest for ginger pale bridesmaids would be, blues, greens, purples, lilacs, champagne kinds of colours, navy, black, browns.

I would defo avoid reds, pinks, peach, yellow and orange, But it really depends on skin tones as to which colours they can carry off. At least with them being the same colouring there shouldn't be too many arguments over colours if you give them an input!!!!

Hope that helps

Gem x

• bladette
    Beginner July 2010
    bladette ·
    • Hide content

Don't say green because they're red heads! Green is supposed to suit redheads. I was a redhead till my colour started to fade, my mother dressed me what felt like constantly in green, because that's what redheads wear! Now I HATE green! Give me any colour but. I love wearing red - anything to be a rebel!!

• sophamie
    Beginner May 2013
    sophamie ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your comments! Im very fussy with colours, i dont like greens, pinks or oranges....but im liking the idea of blues or purples.

its difficult to get them to go shopping as we all live opposite ends of the country and work shifts so can rarely find a time when we're all off and not already busy!!

they also shout at me if i call them strawberry blondes or red heads..."im ginger! dont insult me by calling me anything else!" gotta love em!

cant wait to start organising now! Smiley laugh

XxX

• Stupidgirl45
    Beginner July 2009
    Stupidgirl45 ·
    • Hide content

My BM is redheaded and she is wearing a black dress and it sets off her beautiful skin and hair wonderfully

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I saw a real life wedding in a mag once where the bridesmaid was a red head (like really orangey colour hair) and they had put her in a bright pink/fuchsia dress that clashed horrendously. I ffelt so sorry for the poor girl.

• firsttimemum
    firsttimemum ·
    • Hide content

I think the purples look gorgeous, my mum is a red head and she used to wear a fabulous plummy purple leather jacket

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics