Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner February 2006

Girlie calendars in the workplace AIBU

Carrot, 20 October, 2008 at 21:00 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 21

I spotted 2 topless calendars in the workshop today- one from 2007 so obviously just kept for the pretty pictures. Now I personally couldn't care less about seeing page 3 models or whatever, plus the workshop is a male-only environment as we don't have any female carpenters/electricians/engineers. No clients ever see the workshop and they are tucked away in a not-too-obvious place. But my instinct as a manager is to ban them. When I said that to another female manager she shrugged and said they didn't bother her. But that's not the point is it? I feel slightly intimidated by them being there, and who's to say we won't get a young female apprentice in who does get bothered by them. Any comments are welcome (if only to tell me to stop being a prude).

21 replies

Latest activity by Nisha, yesterday at 19:00
  • SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    As a point of principle I agree with you entirely; from a management point of view I would probably turn a blind eye.

    • Reply
  • Lillythepink
    Beginner
    Lillythepink ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    Not very helpful but here are my first thoughts.

    1) They objectify women, and make you feel intimidated. You have a right not to feel intimidated in your place of work. You can ask them to get rid

    2) How often do you have to see them? If they don't really impact on you, wait until you get a female apprentice and act then.

    3) No, do it now, so that if you DO get a female apprentice it isn't even an issue.

    4) Meh. You might never get a female apprentice.

    5) But they make YOU, a manager, feel intimidated. Ask them to get rid.

    I'm not helping, am I?

    • Reply
  • C
    Beginner February 2006
    Carrot ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    Thanks Sophie and Lilly. Lilly you HAVE helped because that's exactly the confusion that's going through my head. I have a 22 year old graduate trainee, what if she walks in there. They're an intimidating bunch when they want to be without her having to feel even more uncomfortable. But why should I change what they've been doing for the last 36 years without interference. Hmmm, maybe I'll pretend I haven't noticed them yet.

    • Reply
  • SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Report
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

    I think if they were going to intimidate her by making offensive comments etc, they'd do so regardless of the calendar (and that would be an offence, regardless). TBH I think it's likely that they've forgotten it's even there. You could slip the cleaner a fiver to remove it, and see what happens?

    • Reply
  • Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    I think this is a battle-picking moment. If it doesn't *really* bother you, and you your trainee hasn't mentioned it, I would probably turn a blind eye. If it does seem to bother her, or you get a female apprentice that might be the time to make an issue of it.

    • Reply
  • C
    Beginner February 2006
    Carrot ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    Thanks Sophie, think if I'm going to remove them I'll do it myself as I love our cleaner and would hate her to be involved. Thanks for your help :-)

    • Reply
  • Doughnut
    Beginner June 2008
    Doughnut ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    Do you manage the workshop? If so, I'd have a tidy up over Christmas and bung them in the recycling - its the end of the year so they're out of date. I think if you let on you're offended then they might kick off. Not that this is right or acceptable, but it would give people something to moan about.

    • Reply
  • C
    Beginner February 2006
    Carrot ·
    • Report
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

    No, I'm the manager's manager's manager if that makes sense. I rarely even go into the workshop. Yup, you're right it would give them something to moan about.

    Thanks FTG too for your comments. I suppose I'm probably too anxious to keep everyone happy- probably no one else cares about the silly old me with their girlie pictures ?

    • Reply
  • DaisyDaisy
    DaisyDaisy ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    Could you make a point with naked male calendars? I know it's not professional, and not at all the point you were making, but if there are any objections then that could open up reasoned discussion.

    It's what I would do, but then I am a SAHM and when I was a manager I only had women under me who out up half naked pictures of Asher, which I objected to on the grounds of he's an idiot..

    • Reply
  • D
    Savvy August 2024 Lampang
    Daniel ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    I agree that workplace standards should consider everyone, even if no one currently objects. A professional environment should feel comfortable for future employees too. A calendar like mon calendrier grossesse may be harmless elsewhere, but workplace boundaries are worth considering.

    • Reply
  • Brock
    Pennsylvania
    Brock ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    When dealing with Child Custody Towson , having clear information about your rights and responsibilities can make the process easier. Parents may need to create a parenting plan or resolve disagreements about visitation and decision-making. Experienced family law professionals in Towson can help parents understand their options and work toward a suitable custody arrangement.

    • Reply
  • Char
    Curious August 2024 Monmouthshire
    Char ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    Best online stock trading can help people buy and sell stocks using an internet connection. Beginners can use online trading platforms to learn about stocks, market prices, charts, and basic trading methods. It is important to choose a platform that is easy to use and has clear fees and useful learning tools. Before starting, beginners should learn the basics of the stock market and understand that trading can also lead to losses.

    • Reply
  • Nisha
    Cornwall
    Nisha ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    Quran Academy provides a convenient and structured way for children and adults to learn the Holy Quran with proper pronunciation, Tajweed, and recitation skills. Students can receive personalized guidance according to their learning level, whether they are beginners or looking to improve their Quran reading. With lessons in Noorani Qaida, Quran memorization, Tajweed rules, and basic Islamic studies, the academy helps learners build confidence, strengthen their Quranic knowledge, and develop a consistent learning routine from the comfort of home.

    • Reply
  • Nisha
    Cornwall
    Nisha ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    AcFixBuraydah provides professional air conditioning services for homes, offices, and commercial properties, including split AC installation, repair, cleaning, and regular maintenance. Experienced technicians can inspect AC units, identify cooling problems, check refrigerant levels, clean essential components, and ensure that the system operates efficiently. Split AC installation also includes properly mounting the indoor and outdoor units, connecting copper pipes, applying insulation, checking electrical connections, and testing the cooling performance. Reliable AC services can help improve cooling efficiency, reduce common operating problems, and keep air conditioning systems working smoothly throughout the hot season.

    • Reply
  • Nisha
    Cornwall
    Nisha ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    CapCut Old Version is a popular search for users who prefer an earlier version of the video editing app with a familiar interface and features. Older releases may be useful for creators who want simple tools for trimming clips, adding music and text, applying filters, transitions, and creating social media videos. Some users may also look for previous versions because they work better on older devices or offer a layout they are already comfortable with. However, older versions may not include the latest features, performance improvements, or security updates, so users should choose trusted sources when installing any previous release.

    • Reply
  • Nisha
    Cornwall
    Nisha ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    Universal Credit sign in account provides claimants with a convenient way to access their online benefits information and manage their claim securely. Once signed in, users can check payment details, review their journal, read important messages and updates, complete outstanding tasks, and report changes in their circumstances. The online account makes it easier to stay informed about claim requirements and manage essential information from a computer, tablet, or smartphone. Keeping login credentials private and using a secure connection can help protect personal information and maintain reliable access to the account.

    • Reply
  • Nisha
    Cornwall
    Nisha ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    waffle house breakfast hours are available around the clock, as Waffle House restaurants serve breakfast favorites all day, every day. Most locations are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, allowing customers to enjoy waffles, eggs, hashbrowns, omelets, breakfast sandwiches, and other breakfast dishes at any time. The official Waffle House website confirms that its breakfast favorites are served all day and that its restaurants operate 24/7.

    • Reply
  • UncommonGuy
    Savvy July 2001 Staffordshire
    UncommonGuy ·
    • Report
    • Hide content
    Navigating workplace standards and deciding how to handle items like old calendars in a male-only workshop can be a really tricky management judgment call, especially when balancing team culture and inclusivity for future hires.
    Those who are looking for a quick mental break and a fun moment to unwind after sorting through professional dilemmas and workplace policies can take a quick look at casino king , a great option for some downtime.
    Trusting your managerial instinct on this is usually the right path, as setting a professional standard now definitely helps ensure the workspace feels welcoming for any future apprentices or visitors. Do you think a gentle, informal chat with the team would be enough to clear them out, or would you prefer a more formal policy update?
    • Reply
  • Char
    Curious August 2024 Monmouthshire
    Char ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    RecipeFab is a helpful place for people who enjoy cooking and trying new food ideas. It offers simple recipes that are easy to understand and follow. You can find different types of meals, snacks, desserts, drinks, and other food ideas. RecipeFab can help both beginners and regular home cooks find new dishes to make. The recipes use clear steps, making cooking easier and more enjoyable. If you are looking for simple food ideas for your daily meals, RecipeFab can be a useful source.

    • Reply
  • Nisha
    Cornwall
    Nisha ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    Morse Code is a communication system that uses combinations of short signals called dots and longer signals called dashes to represent letters, numbers, and punctuation marks. Each character has its own unique pattern, which allows ordinary words and messages to be converted into coded signals. For example, the letter A is represented by .-, while S is ... and O is ---. Morse Code can be transmitted using sound, flashing lights, radio signals, or written dots and dashes. It was widely used for long-distance communication before modern digital communication became common. Today, Morse Code is still learned by radio enthusiasts, students, and people interested in communication history. Learning Morse Code begins with memorizing simple letters and gradually practicing complete words, numbers, and sentences. With regular practice, it becomes easier to recognize patterns quickly and understand messages without having to look at a chart every time.

    • Reply
  • Paint
    Beginner August 1998 Pakistan
    Paint ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    A discussion about whether having “girlie” calendars in the workplace is inappropriate or acceptable. 3d paint online free

    • Reply
  • Nisha
    Cornwall
    Nisha ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    Hypic APK is a creative photo editing app that gives users a simple way to enhance and personalize their pictures. It features AI-powered editing tools, stylish filters, artistic effects, portrait retouching, and creative templates that can help transform ordinary photos into attractive visuals. Users can adjust colors, improve image details, experiment with different effects, and create engaging content for social media. Its easy-to-use interface makes Hypic APK suitable for both beginners and users who enjoy advanced creative photo editing.

    • Reply

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

×

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics