Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

WelshTotty
Beginner December 2014

Giving feedback on house viewings without feeling guilty

WelshTotty, 22 June, 2009 at 12:30 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 3

I feel is a difficult thing to do....

We viewed 3 houses on Saturday, all 3 ticked the boxes. First one was the style we want, was on a street we love, had a decent sized garden, a lovely big garage and parking for 3 cars. It needed a ground floor extension, just like next door had done which would be fine and not too much work. I liked it a lot, Mr WT said he didn't have the 'warm and fuzzy' feeling about it. I had to explain to the EA selling it today that although it had everything we wanted, my husband didn't feel warm and fuzzy about it.

Second one again the style we want, had all the rooms we wanted, nice size garden, a sun room, big kitchen basically everything we were looking for. However although it rates in our top 3 the asking price was £20k more than a house that also ticked all the boxes in a better area. I told the EA that we loved the house (no lie) but as we are waiting for the bottom of our chain to complete we weren't in a position to progress. I felt guilty about that for some reason as I don't want to get their hopes up.

Third house wasn't a house it was a lovely dormer bungalow, it had been modernised by a young couple who had part exed it for a new build, so Barratt Homes were selling it. and they were prepared to take a £55k drop from its original asking price. It ticked all the boxes again and needed minimal spending on it to make it perfect. EA is aware of our situation and won't ask for feedback as we basically told her what we thought as we viewed.

The house at the very top of our list has been on the market for 6 months, no drop in price and with maybe £20k spend would be totally perfect, it's on 3 levels with a huge garden and on a quiet road in a so called 'posh' area.

I dunno, I'm just rambling but I hate giving negative feedback and always try and make it as positive as possible as I don't want to upset people.

The woman who viewed our house on Saturday was quite negative (her perogative) and almost instantly dismissed the house as it was 'too dark' and 'had steps' (her son is wheelchair bound) the first piece of description for our house advert states, 'large opening from living room with steps down to dining room' . What part of that description didn't she understand?! She then waffled on about 'Valley houses having too many steps'...... the clue is in the title 'Valley house' usually built on the side of a mountain, love.

Anyway, is there a sure fire way of giving feedback even when you dont' like a place that's positive and doesn't make you feel guilty?

3 replies

Latest activity by Champagne, 22 June, 2009 at 13:26
  • Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

I don't see why you'd feel guilty. Either you're explaining why the house isn't right for you (which is noone's fault) or you're pointing out a genuine problem, in which case you're doing them a favour.

I think skewing your feedback to make it more positive than it ought to be is actually quite unhelpful. If you've got bad things to say, leave it to the agent to sweeten it for the seller, if he wants to.

• flissy666
    flissy666 ·
    • Hide content

Bad viewer (the woman, not you!). I always smile sweetly when with the vendors, and try to be honest, negative if needed, with the EAs. My logic is that any negative feedback could be useful for the vendor, and that it's the EA's job to soften the blow! I always took issue with the EAs if the description is in any way misleading or exaggerated, especially as we were relocating, so had to travel a distance to do any viewings.

The steps thing is VERY annoying - I feel your pain! My house has a flight or wrought iron stairs to the front door, so screamingly obvious from the main photos. Yet we also lost out a couple of potential sales as people didn't realise that there were steps. Stupid idiots!

Good luck with it all!

• WelshTotty
    Beginner December 2014
    WelshTotty ·
    • Hide content

Knownowt, I dont skew my feedback I tend to put a positive spin on small things that might make the place not quite right for us. If the place is simply too small, i say its too small, or too close to a main road etc, its just when a house inside and out is just right but theres one niggly thing that to other people wouldnt make a difference but to us would I try and see the problem as a positive like, saying that although we would prefer if the house an ext like next door, the kitchen diner that was already there was very nice.

Flissy, I dont understand the steps thing either, especially with your place if theres photos showing what it looks like!

• Champagne
    Beginner June 2007
    Champagne ·
    • Hide content

I'd agree here, just give it to the EA straight but if you're still considering the property, say you'll call them in a few days/after you've had other viewings to think about it/as a comparison.

We viewed a house that needed every room decorating as they had 2 toddlers, 2 avocado bathroom suits, very cheap kitchen etc and I did tell the EA exactly what we thought. He was taken aback as they'd had positive feedback before BUT no offers and I think was going to pass it on to the vendors.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics