Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner June 2012

Giving notice - 2 months wait for an appointment

Bride2012, 26 of June of 2011 at 20:05 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi,

We finally managed to speak to our local register office this week about making an appointment to give notice and the first appointment they could give us was 02 September so effectively a 2 month wait. I was shocked by this. How long have you had to wait for an appointment to give notice of marriage?

We have booked our registrar (getting married in a different area to where we live) but this is only provisional until we get married. I just hope they don't cancel our booking - I've sent them an email to let them know and am awaiting their reply.

Michelle

6 replies

Latest activity by hannioli, 27 of June of 2011 at 12:17
  • Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

I know for our district (Bassetlaw) its a one month wait, but I'm going to phone up about 3 months before I need the appointment, just to be certain!

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I had a provisional booking, but when I went to book to officially give notice they could have fitted me in within 2 weeks. I had to ask them to wait until after my holidays. The only downside of me giving notice so near to a year to the actual wedding date is that if we had to postpone we would have to have our wedding within a week of the original date or have to reapply and lose our money so a delay isn't so bad as it gives you room to maneouvre should you need to. (fingers crossed we won't)

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

We had to wait about 6 weeks!

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

As long as you've paid the money to reserve the registrar in the district you're getting married in, they should hold that slot for you as they understand there may be a delay in you giving notice.

When is the date you're getting married? I'm guessing you have plenty of time still?

We got our notice just before Christmas 2010 for our September 2011 wedding as it was something we wanted to get done and out of the way as one less thing to be worrying about as time trundled on.

• B
    Beginner June 2012
    Bride2012 ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married June 2012 and have booked the registrar in the area we are getting married but we can't pay the fees until we have given notice. I have offered to pay the fees in my email. I'm just a bit concerned that as they said in the phone call that they will cancel the booking after a couple of months if they haven't heard back from us.

Fingers crossed it goes ok. Reassuring to know other are also waiting a long time to see the registrar.

Michelle

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

We managed to get an appointment in about 2 weeks. I guess it depends on the district!

• hannioli
    Beginner April 2012
    hannioli ·
    • Hide content

We booked our venue mid April, called up to make an appointment a week later and was told that the earliest appointment was 24th June, so we had about a 2 month wait as well.

When we were giving the notice, the registrar was rushing us along as much as possible, she was late for our appointment (worked out well for us) by about 40 minutes, it was literally a who are you, where are you getting married kind of thing, no real questioning about whether we really knew each other. Then, once done, right out of the door, took 10mins max.

She did say that they were very cash strapped and asked to see my letter from the district that we're getting married in so she could steal ideas for her letter...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics