Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

BrideCummins14
Beginner April 2014

Giving Notice

BrideCummins14, 19 of August of 2013 at 16:12 Posted on Planning 0 16

I am giving notice 13 September EEK! How exciting!!!

What do you actually do when you go there?

16 replies

Latest activity by RomanticYellowCars2, 20 of August of 2013 at 10:14
  • flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

I know it's slightly different for everyone.

We were brought into the registrar's room together (I know in some places you go in separate rooms). Asked basic details of the wedding - where, when etc then she started the interview part. Basically OH had to answer questions about me - my date of birth, profession, middle name etc. I can't remember the other questions! Then I was asked the same questions about him.

Then she informed us our notice of marriage would be up in the register office for 2 weeks, after which time we could collect our notice of marriage certificate. As we are getting married in a different district we then sent our notice of marriage certificate to the register office in the district we are marrying, making a copy first though.

It feels so real and exciting after giving notice ?

• BrideCummins14
    Beginner April 2014
    BrideCummins14 ·
    • Hide content

I'm so annoyed - I live in Essex but getting married in Suffolk and the Suffolk registrar office have not told me that I need to give notice in my own county, they have told me I need to be living in Suffolk for 8 days (I can just stay at my wedding venue).

I am now confused and stressed because this is the legal part - will have to wait until their office re-open tomorrow Grrrr

• Sambride
    Beginner April 2014
    Sambride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly this, but we were taken off separately to be asked questions, bit daunting but everything went ok ?

• BrideCummins14
    Beginner April 2014
    BrideCummins14 ·
    • Hide content

H2B can never remember the year I was born - I am going to keep testing him!!!!

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I always thought you just gave notice where you lived (so Essex in your case) but booked the registrar where you're getting married (Suffolk)... hence you'll have lived in Essex for 8 days.

We are getting married in Leicestershire, so our registrar is Loughborough but we will be giving notice in our local council, which is Kettering (Northamptonshire).

• H
    Beginner May 2014
    Helybel ·
    • Hide content

Yes we are getting married in a different county to where we live so we gave our notices to the registry office in which we live. They're displayed in our area for so many weeks and then are sent over to the register office in suffolk (we're getting married there too)

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Oooh exciting!

When I gave notice I was so excited/nervous but OH was hungover so generally looked disinterested in the whole thing.

The actual thing isn't a big deal and nothing to worry or be nervous about but for me other than the venue booking it was the first kind of official thing we did to say we were getting married!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

You give notice to the council you pay your council tax to not the council in the county you are getting married.

For us we just went in together and we had to give our details and confirm details about our dad's

• lilmis
    Beginner May 2015
    lilmis ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We've been told this too. We live in Leicestershire but marrying in Warwickshire. Luckily my uncle has said I can put down his address as mine for those few days.

It confuses me greatly. Plus we're getting married in a Catholic Church outside our parish which just adds more confusion to it all!

• PinkButterfly
    Beginner June 2014
    PinkButterfly ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You don't need to stay at your wedding venue at all.... You need to give notice in Essex where you live.... They will ask you the date you are getting married and where! Once you've given notice and after 'x' amount of days 16 I think. They will give you paperwork to bring to the registry office where you intend to marry letting them know you have given notice and are able to marry!

Pretty simple really! I gave notice a few weeks ago but I'm marrying in the same place however my OH has to give notice where he lives and then bring the relevant paperwork to my local registry office.

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

We gave notice last week and it was absolutely fine - I was stupidly excited beforehand and it all felt very real afterwards. I used to look after one of the registrars children many years ago and so when she saw my name in the book she made sure that she did our appointment, brought in photos of the girls and told me that she would travel over to do our ceremony too! That was a lovely as I was desperate to have her do our wedding.

We went in separately and were asked simple questions - OH's full name, DOB, profession, his fathers profession etc. She said that she always asks the brides to go in first because they tend to know more details about the wedding! ? I could quite easily say what he does at work, where he works etc but I had a total blank when she asked me for his job title. It was fine though and she told me just to pop my head around the door and ask him. We both took the day off work and the appointment was at 9am (it took about an hour) so we made a really nice day of it too.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Actually need to sort this out myself Smiley laugh Weirdly can't wait!

• BrideCummins14
    Beginner April 2014
    BrideCummins14 ·
    • Hide content

HelyBel where are you getting married? x

• BrideCummins14
    Beginner April 2014
    BrideCummins14 ·
    • Hide content

Wow - confusing!!!

So usually you give notice in your own county but as I am getting married in a church in a different county that is not 'my usual place of worship' I need to go there on Sundays to make it my 'usual place of worship' HOWEVER...the church is not open Sundays etc it is literally used for weddings as it's part of the grounds of my reception venue. SO I am now off to stay in Sfufolk for 8 days and give notice in Suffolk....jeez.....!!!

• Jaysmonkey
    Beginner August 2014
    Jaysmonkey ·
    • Hide content

I actually gave notice yesterday, it's very simple and nothing to worry about.

I spoke to the registrar first alone, giving details for both me and O/H.

Questions were names, DOBs, employment, place of marriage, date and time.

Also passports and proof of address etc. Then they spoke to O/H and confirmed everything.

• R
    Beginner September 2013
    RomanticYellowCars2 ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married in Hertfordshire but live in a different county. We gave notice at our local registry office and then they contacted the registry office in Hertfordshire to let them know that we had given notice. After about 3 weeks, the registrars where we gave notice posted us our blue certificates for marriage which we had to take with us to our planning meeting at the Hertfordshire registrars office.

When giving notice we went into the same room together and were asked to provide our own personal details and not asked anything about each other. We had to provide ID documents for name, DOB, address and OH had to provide his decree absolute. Pleased we didn't have to answer things about each other as my OH seems to crumple when questioned! When previously calling an ambulance for me years ago he told them my birthday was on the 18th not the 19th and then couldn't tell them what year I was born and had to work it out by deducting my age from the current year! Also at the registrars office he got his own name wrong and when asked if he had been married before he said yes, they then asked if he was widowed or divorced and he said widowed when he is actually divorced lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics