Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner November 2020

Giving Notice

Helenb75, 24 of November of 2019 at 17:13 Posted on Planning 0

Hello there

My partner and I attended our local registry office on Friday to give notice. We took all the documentation I was told to bring, when I showed my decree absolute the registrar told me I needed a copy of my marriage certificate to prove the link between my married name and my ID which is all in my maiden name.

Needless to say it's proving a nightmare to get a copy as I was married in the Dominican Republic, the original was sent to my solicitor in the divorce process and I had no copy. I was first married 23 years ago and my solicitors no longer have my file, the court tells me it may or may not exist due to the length of time, the embassy won't help me and I've no other options!

A friend has suggested to me that I could potentially Change my name by deed poll to my former married name and then change my forms of ID, passport and driving license. I guess my question is does that sound feasible? I'll be popping in to the registry office tomorrow but I've been stressing so much about this, as we've already invested money into a wedding which we may have to cancel. Help!

• HappyPinkHair15172
    Dedicated September 2022 Merseyside
    HappyPinkHair15172 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Hun

Sounds to me like you will need to contact the authority which issued your first marriage certificate in the D. R. Just like the various regional Registry Offices in the UK, they have to record in perpetuity, all births, marriages and deaths.

Good luck !

Ali xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics