Connor
Beginner October 2022 Cheshire

Giving Notice and Getting a Registrar

Connor, 10 September 2021 at 10:43 Posted on Planning 0 5
Saved

Morning all,

So me and my other half live in Chester now we are getting married in Liverpool.

The whole giving notice and getting a registrar thing has baffled me a bit so do we need to give notice to our local office (Chester) and then book a registrar with Liverpool's office or do we need to do both with either Chester or Liverpool?

Cheers

5 replies

Latest activity by Charlotte, 15 September 2021 at 05:30
  • Charlotte
    Rockstar April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·

You give notice to the office where you live and pay your council tax. You need to book the registrar for the area you are getting married. Call the registrar office in Liverpool and they will tell you exactly what you need to do as some areas work differently and may require notice in both areas but normally is just where you live. The main thing is to have your registrar confirmed before you confirm and sign your venue contract, just in case they don't have any availability for your date and time, or you could end up having to move your date or doing the legal bit on another day. You then give notice locally within before your date but no later than 29 days before, that said, a lot of offices are so busy they wont let you give notice over 3 months before at the moment. your notice is valid for 12 months but with Covid we are waiting as long as possible to give notice so we are covered in case we do have to postpone, hopefully by April 2022 we should be fine!

• Ladybird1088
    Savvy April 2023 Kent
    Ladybird1088 ·

So every council/borough has slightly different rules. I'm getting married in Kent, I can and did book my registrar 2 years in advance and paid a deposit to hold the date. I can give notice up to 1 year in advance, and need to do it in the county that I live in, which is Surrey. Your venue should be able to give you all the information you need or be able to point you in the right direction

• Sophiehannah
    Savvy June 2023 Cheshire
    Sophiehannah ·
    Ring your local council and ask because every district is different. We have just paid £765 for a registrar to come to our venue to marry us....couldn't believe the price! Try and confirm the registar before you book your venue date because the registrar may not be available. I think when you give notice you have to do it 28days before you get married. X
  • Yorkshirelass
    Dedicated July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    View quoted message
    Ours was £645 so I know the feeling!
  • Sophiehannah
    Savvy June 2023 Cheshire
    Sophiehannah ·
    View quoted message
    I can't understand why they charge so much. We can get married by the same registrar in the Registry office for £75 but to get them to come to our venue it's £765🙈

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics