Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner June 2012

giving notice & catholic wedding...

adiesummer2012, 28 September, 2011 at 14:04 Posted on Planning 0 7

Right - I hope this doesn't confuse you all as much as it does me! ?

So - me and my h2b live together in London. We are getting married about an hour away, in the area I grew up. My parents still live there and are very involved/familiar with a couple of Catholic churches in the area - Chruch A is where they regularly go and Church B is the one we're getting married in due to size.

For purposes of being able to get married in this parish, we are giving my parents address as mine. So, priest at Church A is signing forms for us to be allowed to get married at Church B.

My worry is this: when we go to give notice, I believe you have to do this in the area you live in? So for us, London. As I assume this is a legal thing I can't fib and say I live at my parents. So the form we get (which we will have to give to the priest and registrar) will say I live in London, not at my parents.

Does anyone know if I can in fact give notice in the area we're getting married in instead of/as well as London? Otherwise I'm going to have to go and see our local London priest who I don't know and start the whole process again...argh!

7 replies

Latest activity by happycamper, 29 September, 2011 at 08:55
  • kookik
    Beginner September 2012
    kookik ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm sounds complicated! I know its a legal requirement you have to give notice in the area you pay council tax to basically!

this means you have to go there with your ID and 2/3 forms of documentation such as utility bill etc. so don't see how you'll be able to get out of that one.

it might be though that the church is a lot more lenient due to the fact that you grew up in that area and want to 'come home' for the ceremony etc.

i dont know much about how the church part works so cant help more there i'm afraid

good luck though!

• A
    Beginner June 2012
    adiesummer2012 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the reply! Okay that definitely means we have to give notice in London in that case.

Hopefully as you say the priest will be able to sort something out! I just don't want to turn up on the day and have the wedding not be valid!

• kookik
    Beginner September 2012
    kookik ·
    • Hide content

Lol that wouldnt happen!

I wonder if you have to go to church first....

we're having a registry office (out of our area), so they gave us a letter and said we needed to take it to our local office and get the notice within 2 months. then once we get the notice we have to take it to the registry office so they would hold the legal documents telling them we are entitled to marry.

I'm sure its slightly different with a church ceremony, and also depends which religion I think - but not an expert I'm afraid.

best thing is to look on your local councils website and see what they stipulate.

x

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Surely priest at Church A knows you no longer live with your parents, can't you ask him for advice?

• A
    Beginner June 2012
    adiesummer2012 ·
    • Hide content

Well I think he does but is turning a blind eye as he knows it would be more hassle for us otherwise - just don't know if he has thought about the giving notice issue as he himself is not a registrar...

• H
    Beginner October 2011
    happycamper ·
    • Hide content

I didn't think you had to give notice for church weddings.....

• A
    Beginner June 2012
    adiesummer2012 ·
    • Hide content

That's just for C of E I think, as they are automatically registrars. Catholic is different as far as I know

• H
    Beginner October 2011
    happycamper ·
    • Hide content

Ah, ok. Well in that case, if it helps my OH moved house between giving notice and the wedding. We've checked and we just have to update the address with the registrar on the day. As ours is a civil ceremony we obvoiusly do not have to satisfy any connections to a church like you do, but I know with C of E churches a past connection to the parish is sufficient, so does the same not apply to Catholic churches? Then it wouldn't matter if you "moved" in the next few months. Do you have anything you can use as proof of address at your parents house?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics