Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

katiebelle
Beginner May 2012

giving notice...booking the registrar...im so confused!!!

katiebelle, 12 October, 2010 at 21:09 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi im really confused and hope someone can help me!

i am due to get married on 25th may 2012 and when we booked the venue we were told to book a registrar. we are living in trafford, manchester and are getting married in macclesfield.

who do we contact for the registrar? who do we give notice to? which do we do fisrt?

ive heard that you cant give notice until 12 months before the wedding date but can you book a registrar before this?

please help as im soooo confused !!!!

4 replies

Latest activity by judeclarke, 12 October, 2010 at 22:13
  • Frizzball
    Beginner October 2010
    Frizzball ·
    • Hide content

Im not sure about when you do it this far in advance we booked the venue and registrar 8 months before

But we rang the Registrar in the district we are getting married in 1st and they penciled us in and when we gave notice in our district this automatically confirmed our booking.

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi katiebelle!

You both need to give notice in person in the district in which you live, even if you both live in the same district and pay a fee. You can "provisionally" book the registrar to ensure they're free on the date of your choice. We are getting maried in Dec 2011 but we have already provisionally booked the registrar and paid a non-refundable £15 deposit over the phone. now we have to give notice between 12 months and at least 15 days before the wedding. In your case, you could provisionally book the registrar, pay £15 and then nearer the time give notice and confirm the booking. Fees vary from area to area, for us in Leeds is £412 for a Friday wedding in approved premises (it's cheaper in a Registry Office). The sum includes: £32.50 x 2 for giving notice, £15 deposit paid over phone when i provisionally booked, and the fee for the Registrar to come to our chosen venue.

Hope this helped.

More reading here: http://www.weddingguideuk.com/articles/legal/englandwales.asp#civil

• J
    Beginner September 2011
    jellytotlou ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married in a different county to where we live. I booked up the ceremony itself with Worcestershire registry office, and if we lived in Worcestershire we could have made an appointment at the same time to go in and give notice. You have to give notice to the registry office in the district you live (i was told this was whoever you pay you council tax to). I called the Birmingham registry office and they told me to come in at any time to give notice. We went in yesteday, with our passports & driving license and gave our notice. It was really straight forward and they said they would contact Worcestershire registry to let them know notice had been given. (Although we have to collect some documents from the Birmingham registry office to pass onto the registrar who conducts our ceremony) We paid the giving notice notice fees of £33.50 to the Birmingham registry office and then will pay the ceremony fees to the Worcestershire registry office.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Some registry offices will let you give provisional notice up to 18 months in advance and then go back when you're within 12 months of the day to confirm. A lot of venues will also take provisional bookings and then wait for the notice to be given before they confirm.

That's the advice we were given by various venues and registry offices anyway.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

Kent makes it fairly easy - but we're paying £700 for the privilege! Mind you, they guarantee to provide a registrar for you as long as you give them at least a month's notice.

Our venue has notified the registrars, and we have confirmed with them and paid a deposit to secure the booking - you can do that at any time.

You can only give the legal notices from 12 months to 2 weeks before the ceremony - you have to see someone and produce documents etc and pay a legal fee (about £33 each here) and they post your details publicly and invite objections.

We then set up a meeting with the guys doing our ceremony to discuss requirements.

I do find it a bit odd that other counties' registrars don't co-ordinate with venues, seems to work really well here.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics