Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

knitting_vixen
Beginner September 2011

giving of gifts at the wedding, this is getting ridiculous...

knitting_vixen, 1 February, 2011 at 10:34 Posted on Planning 0 17

Hi ladies, I wanted your opinion on the giving of gifts at weddings... particularly in my situation.

I have been to a couple of weddings where the amount of gifts given away during the speeches by the bride and groom has seemed insane: parents of the bride, parents of the groom, ushers, bridesmaids, the groom (he got a season ticket for his football club, a premiership team so would have been at least £1000) bride and groom's children, bride and groom's neices and nephews (some little more than babies!).

These are family members (on h2b's side). He agrees with me that this is a bit overkill. In fact he thinks we should hand out no presents!

I feel a bit of pressure and think I would quite like to give a present to mum and MIL as this is traditional, plus they are both giving us money (MIL is giving us 5k!!!), and I know that they would both love a keepsake. I thought I would buy my BMs presents and give them on the morning of the wedding (vintage clutch bags that can be used on the wedding day).

So during the speeches it would just be mum and mil who get presents (I am not handing out lots of presents to nephews and neices, we are not having any flower girls because we can't afford and it would look daft having a massive entourage in a small registrry office). Then I thought that I should really give a present to my step-mum. She has had no part in my upbringing as she married dad when I was 20 (I am now 29), but I really like her and I wouldn't want to exclude her. Then I thought if I am doing that then I should give a present to my gran. My gran put a roof over my head during the university years (during the long holidays) and would drive me to and from uni with all of my stuff (I fell out with my mum for a time- over my step dad mainly, if you remember any of my previous posts about him you will know why!). The I thought if I am giving my gran a present, then I should give one to my other gran (who lives in Australia, I love her but hardly ever see her and she is actually a step gran because my grandparents got divorced).

So now it looks like:

Mum, MIL, step mum Gran and step Gran... this seems a bit silly... what do you think I should do ladies? (my h2b would say not to give any but I really want to give presents to my Mum and MIL).

17 replies

Latest activity by kirstycat, 1 February, 2011 at 20:05
  • *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

KV, do you have to give the presents in front of everyone? I personally don't want to do this and might give my Mum and BMs their gifts before we leave, and give PIL2B and H2B gifts to open the morning of the wedding too. All in private

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

Actually, I think that this is a good idea...

I could give MIL hers before to open on the day??

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS....

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Agree with everyone else. We won't be handing out any presents during the speeches, partly because we're doing them in the evening during the sit-down meal and so making the speeches longer will result in a shorter disco in the evening! I don't think it's necessary to hand out gifts during the speeches and presumably it's a bit boring for the other guests...

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

I think giving people gifts in front of everyone, and expecting them to open them so everyone can see, is rather tacky and tasteless to be honest.

We'll be giving out our gifts to the bridal party either in the morning (jewelery for the girls, ties for the guys, and whatever else we settle on for both) and gifts to the parents privately during the evening reception.

No need to go overboard, even if you've got the money spare.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

We'll also be doing the gifts privately at the beginning of the day.

• Kooks
    Beginner September 2011
    Kooks ·
    • Hide content

I would do as others have suggested and give them all their gifts before.

We're not giving out any gifts during the speeches - I think it's boring and makes them longwinded! My friend did her speeches in the evening and the gift bit went on and on; she gave stuff to all sorts of people and it took an age.

• W
    Beginner March 2011
    whiteroserachel ·
    • Hide content

I'm afraid that I can't offer any advice, only sympathy! We're only having a small wedding and I feel like if we give gifts to everyone that we're "supposed" to then a) that'll be more than half the guests and b) the groom's speech will last about an hour! I don't want to come across as rude or ungrateful or stingy but it just seems completely unnecessary and I'd be much happier if we weren't bothering!

Sorry, rant over. ?

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

There are so many people I want to thank that we aren't giving presents other than to Moms during the reception - we are having a Thank you line with personalised thank you notes to each person - everyone will see them and they can be removed at the end of the night.

Bridesmaids will get their necklaces on morning of the wedding, as will Usher/best man/Dad's and brother as I want them to wear them.

I then have gifts for BMs/Pageboy which I will give out to them individually at the reception, not part of speeches.

Finally my step-moms will be delivered to her house on morning of the wedding - My mom could never know about this, she would make my life difficult but I feel my stepmom deserves the thanks.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I dont think giving gifts in front of people is tacky or tasteless - until it goes on for aaaaaages and then it does feel a bit show-offy

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

If you were to give presents to everyone for things they did for you over the years then you are going to be there for ages and I didn't think that's what it was about. Every wedding I have been to they have only ever given gifts to the people that helped during the wedding (Mums, Bridesmaids etc). My Nan for example did so much for me when growing up but I wouldn't have thanked her for that by giving her a present on my wedding day. I would just say it on a normal day if that makes sense.

• D
    Beginner
    Doodle ·
    • Hide content

We've seen this at weddings too and though 'sheesh!'

We made a point at ours of only buying mum's presents. Our master of ceremonies and MOH also gor presents but both not given out (weekend away / spa) - everyone else including best man and friend who made our cake got our heart felt thanks.

Perhaps say you want to give presents to the very special women in your life? Or give Mum and MIL in public and other mementos in private?

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

At the top table both our mothers will receive flowers, bridesmaids will receive wine glass charms (they will have got ther jewellery in the morning), best man & groomsmen will receive a similar token gesture (I seen engraved hip flasks and beer glasses on ebay so maybe those) and out of the guests my aunt who is making us our fruit cake tier will get flowers as will my aunt who has always been a granny' figure to me.

I will also get my parents a meal voucher & a parent album as they have done so much for our wedding and we really couldnt have done it without them.

I think its lovely to give gifts to those who have had a special input into your special day - its a bit of recognition for them as well. x

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

I am glad I am not the only one who thinks it's a bit long-winded and showy. I will deffo just give pressies to BMs, Mum and MIL in the am of the wedding.

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

We're in a bit of a different situation because we're eloping and having a 'sham' wedding when we come back, but the Thursday night before our sham wedding we're taking BM, CB, our parents, my brother and his girlfriend, his sister and her husband and our grandparents to a tiny cinema to watch our wedding video, then out to dinner afterwards to say thank you for letting us do it our way I suppose, and we'll give out the gifts then. That way it's a bit more personal and we don't have to have the great gift giving at the reception.

I've only decided on this because I love the little cinema though!!!! Probably would have just done it at the reception if it wasn't an option lol

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

I personally hate the part where presents get given out, seems so pointless and to be honest it just bores me. Instead we are giving all the presents before. OH has bought his dad a fishing rod which he has been after for ages and he is going round and giving it to him tonight (25 days till our wedding) so that he can use it on the stag weekend.

• aecy
    Beginner October 2011
    aecy ·
    • Hide content

All our presents will be done in the morning, however the mothers will be given broches after the speeches just before we cut the cake - as we're using them to decorate the cake. These will be our only 'public' presents.

• kirstycat
    Beginner April 2011
    kirstycat ·
    • Hide content

I'm going the traditional route for this - bouquets for my Mum and MIL handed out during the speeches and that's it. My BMs will be getting jewellery in the morning to wear during the day. And we're paying for the BM and his wife to stay in the hotel for the night of the wedding - although they don't know that yet

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics