Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner April 2014

Glass v plastic cups

cearstaidh, 28 of October of 2013 at 10:18 Posted on Planning 0 5

We're getting married at a venue that hasn't ever had a wedding before. They are providing the bar however we need to supply the glasses. In the past they have had other events but have just used cheap plastic cups for drinks which don't really look the part for a wedding. We will need a new glass per drink as there are no washing facilities so we do need quite a lot of glasses. We had thought that we'd get some nice looking plastic disposable glasses but we can't seem to find any.

We really don't want flimsy plastic glasses like what you get at festivals but we're resistant to paying £400 odd to get nicer looking "reusable" plastic cups that look nicer but will get thrown away after the wedding. I could sell them on, but realistically who is going to want to buy 1000 or so plastic glasses??! We've looked online at Party plastics and drinks stuff but are also worried about buying online as a picture doesn't really show how sturdy a glass is. So we've started to look into getting real glass as it actually works out cheaper (buying from Ikea or somewhere) than reusable plastic, but are worried about dropped glasses smashing on the concrete floor. Hiring glasses is also more expensive than buying cheap ones...

I've seen people given a jam jar at the start of the wedding reception and told to drink from that the whole night, but I can't really see many of our older guests going for that. I'd also like the guests to be able to have a glass of wine, a drink of coke, then a whisky if they would like, which obviously wouldn't really work well if they can't wash out the glass in between drinks.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice???

5 replies

Latest activity by Sange!, 28 of October of 2013 at 12:36
  • Ola
    Beginner February 2014
    Ola ·
    • Hide content

Supermarkets such as waitrose, sainsburys give free glasses etc for a damage deposit of like £20

• C
    Beginner April 2014
    cearstaidh ·
    • Hide content

Do you not need to be buying wine from them? Do they do tumblers and highballs as well or just wine glasses?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. Hire them. But you may find you need to buy your wine/beer with said supermarket.

• C
    Beginner April 2014
    cearstaidh ·
    • Hide content

We're talking around 1000 glasses due to the lack of washing facilities at the venue, do sainsburys/waitrose really do the hire for that sort of number? It's a lot of boxes to pick up, wash before and after, and return....

• Ola
    Beginner February 2014
    Ola ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I think waitrose can give you lots of glasses and when we hired (cousin got married in feb) we only paid the deposit. We bought nothing from them.

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/Browse/Entertaining/Glass_and_Fish_Kettle_Loan

http://www.sainsburys-live-well-for-less.co.uk/products-values/instoreservices/glass-hire/

• Sange!
    Beginner January 1997
    Sange! ·
    • Hide content

We found a local company who delivered and took the galsses away dirty. Ideal and it wasn't that expensive.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics