Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner October 2015

Glasses vs contact lenses

MrsFRtobe, 30 of January of 2015 at 13:22 Posted on Planning 0 27

Hi all, I know there is no definite answer to this but I can't decide if I am to wear my normal glasses on my wedding day or contact lenses (which i use, but very rarely)

I wear glasses every day and don't have problem wearing them but I'm paying for a MUA so maybe it defeats the object if I'm then going to put my glasses back on.

My OH just says whatever you want! He likes me in my glasses.

like i say, theres no magical answer but just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how did they decide! lol

27 replies

Latest activity by I-go-by-many-names, 3 of February of 2015 at 18:09
  • F
    Beginner November 2015
    FizzyPixie ·
    • Hide content

I love wearing glasses but I'm going with contacts as I want my make up to by drag queeny and I don't want to ruin the effect.

• Lui
    Beginner October 2015
    Lui ·
    • Hide content

I’m going with contacts in the day as I normally wear my glasses to work and contacts when I’m going out for the weekends and have time to put them in.

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    squid2015 ·
    • Hide content

I'm doing contacts as i don't want my glasses to 'date' the photo's in years to come!

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsFitt2B ·
    • Hide content

Contact lenses every time for me - but then I wear them every day. I finally found a pair of glasses I don't mind wearing out, but I still hate seeing pictures of me wearing them. You should wear whatever makes you comfortable.

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

I've worn glasses for 31 years, apart from a couple of years with contacts a long time ago. I feel naked and exposed when I'm not wearing them, and I'm not sure I like the shape/look of my face without them, but I got some to use when I run and as I wanted to wear false eyelashes for a Christmas party and they touched my glasses.

Will probably wear them for the wedding as I so rarely wear make-up I don't want to hide it, but will probably take the glasses to wear in the evening as my eyes will be uncomfortable by then. Also, I have a bit of an astigmatism and was too tight to pay the extra for corrective lenses, so eveything is a bit fuzzy in them lol

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

It depends what makes you feel more 'you'. I went with contact lenses, but I wear my glasses and lenses equally often. I know of one other bride who got herself a special pair of wedding glasses.

If you feel more comfortable in your glasses, then go with them ?

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

I wear contacts all the time (although I have back up glasses) and I will wear contacts.

I think I'd probably go with contacts as long as you are 100% as comfortable wearing them as you are glasses.

• RogueSnowflake
    Beginner July 2015
    RogueSnowflake ·
    • Hide content

I love my glasses as a day to day look, they rock. But I have yet to see a bride that looked better with glasses on. Maybe do a few trial days in contacts and if you aren't comfortable go with the glasses.

It is obviously totally your decision, and I think we are all aiming to look the best versions of ourselves as brides, rather than looking like generic catalogue brides. So if the glasses are important to your identity and you won't feel like 'you' without them, keep them.

My eyesight isn't too bad, I only need glasses for reading. So I might bring them along for my speech.

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I cannot wear contact lenses so I'll just be without glasses and squinting. Smiley tongue

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    jesikab4u ·
    • Hide content

I wear glasses most of the time but I do take them of when I get my photo take(and I'm pretty blind!) I much like the look of my face without glasses. I had contacts a few years ago and have recently started again so people will get used to me not wearing glasses. This isant something in just doing for the wedding although getting married made me want to wear them again.

• TrixieSaurus
    Beginner August 2016
    TrixieSaurus ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm with you on this one... cant stick my finger in my eye... So i'll bring them with me so I can see in the evening, but for the most part I'll just have to try and remember what colour everyone's wearing ??

• E
    Beginner July 2016
    ExpensiveOrangeStationery250 ·
    • Hide content

I would wear contacts personally (and I am a regular contact lens wearer!) however my advice would be a) make sure you're confident getting the buggers in (my mum gave herself a migraine trying on her wedding day and she still moans about it!) b) DONT GET CAUGHT OUT! Pop a spare pair in your bag and always have a little bottle of solution in your bag to drop onto your eyes if feeling a little dry (and it makes your eyes sparkle in photos!)

this isn't just wedding advice, I have to have that every time I wear them! The times I don't, I'm always caught out!!

• samidolls
    Beginner September 2015
    samidolls ·
    • Hide content

I got my eyes lasered for this exact reason! I wore glasses for 14 years, and wore contact lenses every now and again, but I knew by the time I got married I didn't want either!

Fortunately my OH took his time to propose and its not been nearly 2 years since I had it done.

Personally I would wear lenses, as you may get a bit of flare in photos from your glasses, whilst a Tog can avoid this your guests probably wont.

I would advise if you do go for contacts start wearing them more to build up your tolerance so you will be able to last the day in them. remember you'll be putting them in before putting on your make up so its going to be a very long day!

• M
    Beginner October 2015
    MrsFRtobe ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone, loads of good advice and food for thought. Im swayed to wear my lenses through the day and glasses at night time. I never thought about glasses looked 'aged' in years to come but thats a really good thing to think about, my specs are also black and thick framed so I feel may ruin the look with my beautiful ballgown dress.

best start wearing my lenses more to get used to them again!

Thanks ladies!

• TreacleTart
    Beginner May 2015
    TreacleTart ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sounds like you've already decided on the CL, so I'm just another echo of wear whatever you're comfortable in!! And just take your specs with you in case you need them later in he day Smiley smile me, I wear specs everyday, always have, and I don't quite get the 'oh no can't wear specs as a bride' thing, if that's what you're normally wear, but that's just me. I am lucky in that I've been chosen by my bosses of all people a lovely frame which I'll be wearing on our wedding day tho.

Also, obviously as a speccy bride I'm going to completely disagree with this

Like you said we're not all aiming to be magazine models-there are lots of gorgeous bespectacled brides out there! ;-P

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

I've worn glasses since I was 5. Unfortunately, thanks to years of NHS Deirdre Barlow-style plastic frames and associated teasing, I grew up despising them, and now even though I see loads of people really rocking glasses I just can't ever find any that I think look good on me. I can't have laser eye surgery (very longsighted and have astigmatism), so I'll be wearing contacts on my wedding day.

• M
    Beginner March 2016
    MsJ ·
    • Hide content

I've worn glasses most of my life, and don't wear contacts, so will be wearing glasses on my wedding day as I feel naked without them, and also don't want to look squinty in the photos. My sis also wore glasses for her wedding and she was a beautiful bride.

I'm not too bothered about whether anyone will look back at the photos thinking if they're aged, be proud of the moment and do what feels right for you.

• E
    Beginner October 2015
    elvira-darkside ·
    • Hide content

Id be a bit concerned at getting 'glare' from the camera. but other than that, whichever you fancy. ive seen some gorgeous brides wear theirs.

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    McHelenz ·
    • Hide content

I sort of don't like the comment of you've never seen a bride that looked better with glasses on.

I will be rocking my glasses, as thats me, I look a fool with contacts and if i sit squinting the day through I won't see a thing. Smiley smile

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

I'll definitely be wearing my contacts as it's what I do every day. I do worry about how long a day/night it is as when I wear them for a really long time my eyes get really dry and tired, but I'm just going to take some solution to use as eye drops late in the evening and hope for the best! I couldn't get away with nothing as I am extremely short sighted, -12.5!

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    McHelenz ·
    • Hide content

Yea i'm minus 7!! I've just bought some new ones, Im wondering whether to have some wedding specs too.

I feel my face has adjusted to glasses and my friends have never seen me in contacts - maybe its something I could start trying, I just feel more comfortable in glasses. I have a nervous twitch in my face when i wear contacts where i try to push my imaginary glasses up with my nose!! Look so silly!

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me too!

?

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

It's not just glasses that will look dated in wedding pics, your wedding dress will too...

• CBeckford
    Rockstar July 2015
    CBeckford ·
    • Hide content

I started wearing contacts in the summer of last year but I still wear glasses too. On the day I've decided to go for contacts I've asked my MUA to give me a nice dramatic look for my eyes and glasses would just cover it up.... Also I pictured our first kiss as husband and wife and me having steamed up glasses! ?

x

• RogueSnowflake
    Beginner July 2015
    RogueSnowflake ·
    • Hide content

Aw look, I just gave an opinion, and I regret it now. I LOVE glasses, they are a big part of my life. Tina Fey is my idol!

When I put that comment I was thinking about this wedding I saw recently and the glasses covered the bride's eye make up. She still looked beautiful. I'm spending top dollar on my make up (I need it!) and wouldn't want it to be covered up.

I should have thought more about it before answering. Of course a glasses-wearing bride is going to look amazing. I actually really dislike the element of the wedding industry that tries to make us all look the same. I just want to look like a bridey-me.

As much as I love my thick rimmed glasses, I will be going without on the day. But if my eyesight was worse I would wear them, because actually being able to see the day and all my family and friends enjoying themselves is more important than a few photos.

• R
    Beginner May 2015
    RainbowBride2015 ·
    • Hide content

I wear glasses every day but do have contact lenses (normally just for holiday/swimming etc). I never normally wear contact lenses but I will be wearing them on my wedding day! X

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Saw this and thought of you:

http://offbeatbride.com/2015/02/29-stylish-ways-to-rock-your-wedding-glasses

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics