Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner March 2013

Glittery shoes and lace?

lumc86, 23 October, 2012 at 10:44 Posted on Planning 0 17

Ok, so I've decided I really want some glittery shoes to wear with my dress. The kind of ones i'm looking at are something like this

https://www.dunelondon.com/dhirl-glitter-peep-toe-court-shoe-0093506700017435/ or this https://www.dunelondon.com/blaire-flared-heel-almond-toe-court-shoe-0083506700024217/

The only thing I'm worried about though is that my dress is lace, and the lace might catch on the roughness of the glitter and snag/pull it. This is my dress https://www.justinalexander.com/

What do you think? (any advice from OM's really appreciated!)

:o) thanks xx

17 replies

Latest activity by laura02010, 29 October, 2012 at 09:10
  • C
    Beginner August 2012
    chloe_chloe ·
    • Hide content

I love the gold shoes and your dress is gorgeous!

I had these glittery shoes and didn't have any problems:

With the lining on your dress under the lace I'm sure they'll be fine.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

With the lining, your dress should be fine.

However, the pairing of a classic lace dress in a vintage stylee with glittery shoes is a little....jarring?

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content

I agree. Love them both but not sure about together.

• Nicola_84uk
    Beginner October 2013
    Nicola_84uk ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have to agree with these comments i'm afraid. I think it might be better to go for a classic shoe.

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't think you need a 'typical wedding shoe.' There are lots of shoes out there that don't fall into the classic shoe category but will go with a lace dress. You could still have a different colour just not with glitter.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I'm afraid I also agree that as lovely as those shoes are, they don't really go with the beautiful lace dress.

ETA: Rachel Simpson do some gorgeous shoes in different colours that would go nicely.

• S
    Beginner May 2014
    staranise ·
    • Hide content

I disagree with most of the comments above, ok so perhaps the first thing you think of when choosing a pair of shoes to match a vintage dress isn't a pair of glittery shoes but as people keep saying on this forum, its your wedding and it your choice, you don't have to go the traditional route if you don't want. I have chosen some gorgeous diamante shoes which again are not really traditional bride but so what, OH thought I was joking when I showed him them but I like them and I think they will make me feel that bit more glamorous on the day, even though its unlikely anyone will be able to see them beneath the dress, I will know they are there and feel great. I don't like the traditional bride shoes, they are so far removed from my usual style and in all honesty I do not recall ever noticing a brides shoes when I've been to previous weddings. With regards to it damaging the lace, as others have said it will no doubt be protected by the under layer but even if it did cause some damage, you'll never need to wear it again right Smiley winking

• Cakeisawesome
    Beginner October 2014
    Cakeisawesome ·
    • Hide content

I love both, and i love the Lace and glitter. I've always wanted some gem encrusted bridal shoes, since the day i saw them, and since trying on dresses at the weekend, i've fallen in love with lace! I'll be pairing them together. In all honesty, not many people will see your shoes. I think if you love them, go for it. The layers under your dress will stop any snagging xxx

• D
    Beginner October 2013
    Debs12xx ·
    • Hide content

I have to agree aswell that I don't think they will 'go' together. I really wanted some glittery Jimmy Choo's but with the dress I have no chosen they just wouldn't go so I have gone for a more classic satin wedding shoe with a bit of bling on the heel instead.

P.S Kirstbubble I hate you hahaha

• Foote2c
    Beginner December 2012
    Foote2c ·
    • Hide content

Ow, the red ones! Then you'll be like Dorothy reaching the emerald city and her dreams coming true. How magical! Go for it!

• Sparkly Momma
    Beginner November 2013
    Sparkly Momma ·
    • Hide content

Not keen on the gold ones (but that's just personal taste) LOVE the red ones though. I am also having a fitted lace dress (exact dress tbc) and will more than likely be having some outrageously bright and glittery shoes. I don't see why not, they won't be seen very much,and when they are it will be a pop of colour. Plain bridal trad shoes just aren't to everyone's taste!

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

Love your dress! I think the lace and glitter will go perfectly together, glitter goes with everything Smiley winking

However... my bridesmaids had glittery silver shoes and they caught on the bottom of their dresses, which were like a silky/heavy jersey material. Glitter catches on everything! You should be OK with the lining as it won't damage the lace on your dress, however it is irritating as you can feel it snagging. Maybe buy the shoes, try the dress on again and take the shoes with you (before the end of the returns period!) and see how they feel together, if not then take the shoes back and keep looking xxx

• K
    karina@dragonfly-dresses.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Glitter is a lot less harsh than crystals and you should be absolutely fine. Go for it xx

• Skinnyrock
    Dedicated July 2023 Suffolk
    Skinnyrock ·
    • Hide content

We have the same dress! I have been thinking about different shoes as well. My mum has said that she thinks a modern shoe would look out of place but I really like the idea of these: http://uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_1,mon_1.16/2431020438 as my bridesmaid will be wearing the same colour and I love purple! But i thought I should go a bit more traditional and go for something like this: http://uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_1,mon_1.16/1430772036

I love my dress but I'm not sure either!

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEN11212 ·
    • Hide content

I have that dress too! I've gone for a pair of Ivory Hassall shoes for the ceremony and a pair of gold Rachel Simpson shoes for the evening party. I wasn't planning on two pairs but I really didn't want to spend a lot on ivory shoes I would never wear again. I'd already seen the gold pair but when I went to try them on the ivory pair were in a sample sale so I couldn't resist the two!

http://rachelsimpsonshoes.co.uk/shoe.php?style=222&query=#.UI2SWWtYCSM

http://www.rainbowclub.co.uk/wedding-shoes/blossom-time

• L
    Beginner March 2013
    lumc86 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No way! I actualyl already have these Monsoon shoes! I do really like them, and they are surprisingly comfortable, but I suppose I'm wanting something that not the 'traditional' bridal shoe! No doubt I will end up just sticking with the Monsoon ones!

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    laura02010 ·
    • Hide content

Aw wow, that is my dress too!!!!

I am in love with the Kurt Geiger shoes https://www.amazon.co.uk/KG-Womens-Dazzle-B-Decorative/dp/B007K4P5U4 - I think (hope) they will go with the dress!!!

I wanted a pair of shoes that I could wear again! xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics