Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner July 2013

God Only Knows for Civil Ceremony??

Katybear, 1 January, 2013 at 20:38 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi there, I would love to walk down the aisle to the song God Only Knows by the Beach Boys but am having a civil ceremony.

I've just looked through the Wiltshire Council notes about civil ceremonies and it states that no religious or religious themed music can be played during the ceremony. Do you think this qualifies? It has the word God but it is by the beach boys!

Thanks!

xx

6 replies

Latest activity by EAC13, 2 January, 2013 at 18:52
  • Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

That is a good question..I don't have an answer, although I would suspect that its down to the registrars interpretation.

Only one thought....would the opening line "I may not always love you" be appropriate for your wedding day entrance?

I love the song too, although that opening line........

Peter

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

I think the title in itself would make it a write off but it cant hurt to ask

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

We had it playing whilst guests sat down before the ceremony. The registrar didn't object as it wasn't in a religious context, but it depends on the registrar.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

I second asking the registrar, each individual one tends to vary in preferences, so give the office itself a call Smiley smile

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

As far as I am aware it is law and formed part of the agreement with the church inorder to facilitate the creation of the civil wedding in the first place. Although it does seem petty and daft even things like Robbi Williams Angels are not allowed. But when you think about it, on balance it is a very simple rule to follow and is without ambiguity. You may well get a registrar who says yes - only for that one to be either ill on the day or to be overruled by another. There are millions of songs out there to chose, I would think again and then you will not have to worry

• C
    Beginner September 2013
    Caraboo ·
    • Hide content

If the registrar allows it, they shouldn't, because it has the word God in it. You can't even have just instrumental versions of songs that have really subtle religious connotations.

I agree with what's been said above, you have to be careful even if your registrar does accept it, they might not be there on the day and you'd be forced to change it last minute.

• EAC13
    Beginner June 2013
    EAC13 ·
    • Hide content

Perhaps you may consider a humanist ceremony? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you are allowed this sort of thing in such a ceremony x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics