Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner July 2015

Going away outfit - do people still wear them?

KimmyP84, 17 of June of 2015 at 18:25 Posted on Planning 0 4

I was talking to my mum and she asked if I had a going away outfit sorted. I hadn't planned on wearing one, in fact it hadn't even crossed my mind. We are going to a B&B on the wedding night, but it's close by. Do people still wear going away outfits? I was hoping to leave in my dress as I want to make the most of it. Advice please!!!

4 replies

Latest activity by overtherainbow, 18 of June of 2015 at 09:10
  • Cache13
    Beginner August 2015
    Cache13 ·
    • Hide content

On the wedding night, definitely stay in your dress. Make the most of the one day you get to wear it, and your guests won't want to see you as anything but the bride.

We have a garden party next day so I'll have an outfit planned for that - that's where we wave everyone off as we head to the hotel, as well as a comfy outfit planned for our long haul flight the following day.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I think the tradition was based on the times when couples left the reception to depart for their honeymoon. They needed to change for travel.

In your case that doesn't apply.

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

I wouldnt bother changing into a going away outfit if you are going to a local B & B close by. As long as you have transport sorted and are not walking you should be ok.

I have accommodation sorted on the wedding night and I ll probably leave in my wedding dress as it ll be more comfortable to change in the hotel.

• K
    Beginner July 2015
    KimmyP84 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.

I'll stick with my original plan and leave in my wedding dress.

Thanks again!!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This was the tradition until evening parties became the norm after the wedding reception. The couple would nip away somewhere and get changed and then come back to the reception in their going away outfits to say goodbye to everyone. This was the opportunity for everyone to dress up their car and put tin cans on the back, 'just married' in lipstick on the back window etc.

I remember my going away outfit - white dress, blue jacket and white hat - very 80's!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics