Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner August 2013

Gorton Monastery

bridetobe2013, 18 October, 2011 at 12:40 Posted on Planning 0 20

Anyone have any reviews on this weddding venue?

ThanThink it looks beautiful online Smiley smile

thanks

20 replies

Latest activity by bridetobe2013, 18 October, 2011 at 22:19
  • jaijai85
    Beginner October 2015
    jaijai85 ·
    • Hide content

Its absolutely stunning! we looked here and everyone was really helpful. it wasnt ideal for us as the church we are marrying in is in altrincham so it was a bit too far to travel. other than this it was perfect

• S
    Beginner April 2012
    shellsworth ·
    • Hide content

Oooo it is such a lovely venue!

One thing I would advise is maybe get married somewhere else as the ceremoney room ( the chapel) up the stairs is quite small and a little souless IMO - espesh compared to downstairs!

Did you go to the wedding fayre there on Sunday?

• monkeybride
    Beginner June 2013
    monkeybride ·
    • Hide content

I've been and it's gorgeous - very grand and atmospheric! The only thing is the main room is massive so it depends if you have enough guests to fill it or it may feel a little empty. Would be such a great place for photos etc though ?

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    bridetobe2013 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much for these replies ladies - always fab that someone can help!

I havent been yet, although my MOH has and loved it Smiley smile I am struggling with a venue thats got a wow factor and isnt too far Smiley smile

Where you ladies getting married?

Definately thinking about another church to break the day up a bit xx

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    bridetobe2013 ·
    • Hide content

Monkey bride - is it really that big x

• S
    Beginner April 2012
    shellsworth ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The place is huge! I agree with small numbers you may feel a little lost in the main room - best bet is to go and check it out Smiley smile

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    bridetobe2013 ·
    • Hide content

I may have to do that Smiley smile

I am just not sure on the area - where are all you ladies getting married or got any advice xx

• Wedding Photographer
    Wedding Photographer ·
    • Hide content

Its a stunning venue, I would LOVE to shoot a wedding at it... !!!!

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    bridetobe2013 ·
    • Hide content

I just want somewhere quite grand

I fell in love with Saddleworth hotel but something made me not want to book it, im the same with this!

You suggest any venues x

• monkeybride
    Beginner June 2013
    monkeybride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

When I went there was about 400 people so was pretty huge - they might be able to separate it off somehow to make it feel smaller so definitely worth asking! I'm hoping to get married more towards Chester so not sure if that may be a bit far for you?

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    bridetobe2013 ·
    • Hide content

Ohhh I seen this! Willington Hall looks fab!! Do you live that way?

I do like the monastery just dont know about the area - exterior xx

• foreverengaged
    Beginner February 2012
    foreverengaged ·
    • Hide content

My best friend got married there and yes it has the reall wow factor

The area around it is pretty dreadful, there is a small courthyard for pics

she had a small wedding and we did get a bit lost on there as it is so big, but it was gorgeous and i did think of it but there isnt any local htls so that put me off a bit, plus no where for good outdoor pics

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    bridetobe2013 ·
    • Hide content

May have to keep looking then! I know not in a nice place thats what puts me off it Smiley sad

• monkeybride
    Beginner June 2013
    monkeybride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My parents do and we live between chester and manchester so we've been quite lucky in terms of having quite a wide area to search in.

Are you having a summer or winter wedding? If it's summer I can see why the exterior and area would put you off as people might want to go outside for drinks etc but if it's winter then it probably won't matter for more than the first 5 mins as people will want to stay inside anyway!

I haven't really looked at many venues near Manc - more towards Macc and Chester - there's loads of nice places round there if you can travel that far? Or the midland in the city centre always looks very grand and impressive!

• S
    Beginner April 2012
    shellsworth ·
    • Hide content

Ok so the Monastery is in Gorton, and not a particually attractive part but once your through the gates the only time you see the estate is when you walk up the stairs to the chapel.

I have lived near by Gorton when i was younger, and yeh ok it isn't Hale Barns but 90% of the people will smile at you as you walk past not stare you up and down trying to judge how much money you have. They are goos honest people, and would you be a snob to miss out on your dream venue?

Don't want to offend anyone but what if the Monastery is your venue, and because your put off that it is hasnt got the best postcode youve missed out. Step inside and tell me you feel like your in Gorton.

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

Gorton is not a great part of Manchester, but it's incredibly close to the city centre- so at least any guests could book a hotel there if they wished?

Have you thoguht about manchester Art gallery or Great John Street hotel? Both are more contemporary, but really more interesting than a standard hotel?

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    bridetobe2013 ·
    • Hide content

I was considering travelling about 20 miles you think that’s too far for guests – even though I will provide the travel, so by all means fill me with some ideas if you have any that may be in that area.

I am having a summer wedding August 2013.

Thanks again x

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Definitely keep looking if you are after beautiful exterior shots. I posted something about this the other day, I don't live far from it and the surrounding area is estate and rough looking shut down pubs. The nearest hotel would be an awful Diamond Lodge on the main road into Manchester or going further out there is a Travelodge/Premier Inn type but again in a not very pleasant area.

I searched everywhere around Manc, Stockport and Cheshire. The nicest places I desperately wanted were the 2 Tailor Made venues, Haslington Hall and Davenport Green Hall, but they didn't have exclusivity plus my OH is so tall he would have either smacked himself on the beams walking back down the aisle, or had to keep ducking which wasn't ideal!

Heaton House Farm is my venue on the Staffs/Cheshire border and had everything we wanted. It is also going to be on DTTB at the end of Nov if you want to check it out!

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

What is important to you?

Does it need to have gardens? How many people? Does it need to be exclusive to you? Does it need rooms?

Where have you looked at so far?

• foreverengaged
    Beginner February 2012
    foreverengaged ·
    • Hide content

Heaton house farm is amazing, 2 of my friends got married there and i would have loved to but it was slightly out of budget for me

Davenport green hall is really lovely, i booked to get wed there then changed my mind as the ceremony room is very very small but if ur getting wed in a church the room where they have the evening do is a gorg coverted barn and they are flexi with price, i gave them my budget, they quoted way over, i said no, then they rang back and offered it me at my price!

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    bridetobe2013 ·
    • Hide content

Shellsworth - I know what you mean, I dont live too far from the monastry so I may still stick with it and go have a look for myself!

I always imagined exclusive, just big enough without being too much, outisde space advantage.

Thanks again ladies xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics