Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

purpletaff
Beginner June 2012

Got me a dress but HELP!*flash*

purpletaff, 13 April, 2011 at 09:40 Posted on Planning 0 9

Have found my dress (made me cry when I put it on!). H2B wants grey suits, which I like too but not sure about shirt colour? Suit company recommend white but will this look strange with my dress? Got over a year yet but the weekend we are getting married is the busiest so far next year according to anyone we try to book with! Think I am of the opinion that nobody will notice? What do you all reckon? Anyone got any pics of dark ivory dress with groom with white shirt?

Here's hoping

Marie xx

PS I have got face but share this computer with a range of people!!!

9 replies

Latest activity by Mrs C, 14 April, 2011 at 15:21
  • Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Before you read this - I have a major major OCD on colours, and i'm not saying everyone should agree - it is what some Hitchers call "sweating the small stuff" which I regularly do but:

This is a white dress next to Ivory waistcoat - IMHO I can see a big difference but I wouldn't say it looks bad.

And an ivory one with a white-shirted groom

• purpletaff
    Beginner June 2012
    purpletaff ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, H2B is also a bit OCD so might have to show him the very thin spare strap that came with my dress to show him the colour!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it matters - most grooms will wear a white shirt, after all!

You could always have your groom in neutral colours (white shirt but ivory waistcoat/cravat) which would look lovely with the grey suits. Your ushers etc could then wear any accent colour you might want to have (Maybe tie in with the bms?)

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content

My initial reaction is that it doesn't matter, but that's probably a bit hypocritical as I'm having a champagne/light gold dress and have stayed away from having a white/ivory flower girl dress for that reason - I just think it would look wrong!

Funnily enough though I wouldn't have minded if OH was having a white shirt (maybe cos it's less visible under a jacket?), but he's opted for a light pink one instead for a more fun, casual feel - we are having an informal do. Perhaps that could work for you?

• Little fluff
    Beginner September 2011
    Little fluff ·
    • Hide content

Your dress is gorgeous x

• Kooks
    Beginner September 2011
    Kooks ·
    • Hide content

I don't think anyone would notice - I'd stick with a white shirt and maybe neutral accessories.

Saying that - I have vetoed the ushers having silver cravats as my dress is light gold and the rest of our colours are creams and ivorys! The white shirts I'm fine with!

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

My dress is the similar in colour to yours and to be honest before reading this post I hadn't thought about white shirts, but I can see what you mean! Maybe just an off white shirt would look best, or maybe a creamy colour one. Pure white may be a bit harsh. But really, most suits look good with white shirts and then its the tie that matches bridesmaid colours etc so I think it would look fine. Can I ask what colour grey suits your having? My OH is going to have brown now, was originally going to be grey but thought it'd look weird with that colour dress!

This post has brought up a lot of questions for my own wedding ?

• purpletaff
    Beginner June 2012
    purpletaff ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure what the colour is called but they are a lightish grey, not a really dark charcoal colour. Am thinking, grey suit, white shirt and ivory ish waistcoat maybe?? Find it hard to picture everything together. Our bridesmaids will be wearing sage green.

• purpletaff
    Beginner June 2012
    purpletaff ·
    • Hide content

Thanks! I wasn't really looking to buy anything but bought this off the peg as I loved it and it's fits perfectly! Just got to stay the same size for another year now!!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

<~~~~~ In my avatar... ivory dress, white shirt... nobody noticed!!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics