Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner May 2014

Got the church, struggling with the venue - Help!

Shmoo_Legs, 15 August, 2012 at 15:03 Posted on Planning 0 14

Has anyone struggled to compromise on their venue & how did you overcome it? I have my heart set on a church and that's fine, but our venue is the sticking point. H2B has been married before, but wasn't involved in the planning. I'm pleased that he wants to be involved in our planning, but I just want to get the church & venue booked now. He likes 1 option only and would involve a whole DIY-Do. I can pick 2 (his would be my no.3...at push, but it's not ticking the boxes enough) - my choices are a toss up between a ready-made-Do or a whole DIY-Do in an alternative venue. If I'm honest - I don't think I can face the DIY option because I know what a stress-head I can be...despite him saying that he would arrange it all! Does anyone have any advice?

14 replies

Latest activity by Saisi, 16 August, 2012 at 14:06
  • gee_gee
    Beginner August 2013
    gee_gee ·
    • Hide content

When you say a whole DIY Do, what do you mean?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, I don't understand.

Are there three possible venues? Or two?

You like one and he likes a different one?

• S
    Beginner May 2014
    Shmoo_Legs ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh sorry, I mean that we'd have to arrange furnishings/Decor, catering, etc, etc. So the added stress.

• S
    Beginner May 2014
    Shmoo_Legs ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh sorry, I mean that we'd have to arrange furnishings/Decor, catering, etc, etc. So the added stress.

• gee_gee
    Beginner August 2013
    gee_gee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what I thought but thought I should clarify! I know you can get companies that do all that for you so it's not that you'd necessarily have to co-ordinate everything but there is obviously the added cost. If your OH is keen to help plan then perhaps you could delegate all that extra organising to him?

• S
    Beginner May 2014
    Shmoo_Legs ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol. Depends who you ask! I guess you could say 3 - one that he likes and 2 different that I like!

There are 2 in the pot, in my view. His top/only choice is my 'reserve' (or no.3 at a push), but it's not ticking the right boxes for me. Hope that makes sense!!!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

We had a 'dry hire only' venue and I will say that it wasn't as difficult as we initially thought. It was a very pretty venue in its own right so didn't need much decoration - that took about half an hour, we went with the venue recommended supplier and got some lighting in, very easy to sort. We then found caterers and they did almost everything else, including table hire, table decorations (including centrepieces etc), the food and drink obviously, chair covers etc. I actually found we had less to sort out than some brides getting married in hotels who still had to arrange for decorations, chair covers and centrepieces... we just had one meeting with the caterer and made choices that day, so it was easy as pie. They even had their own DJ we could have used, except we went with someone from here.

I don't know if there are other factors making that venue your no.3, but just wanted to let you know it may not be as difficult as you're envisaging.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Ok, that does make more sense.

What boxes isn't it ticking?

What doesn't your OH like about the venues you do like?

• S
    Beginner May 2014
    Shmoo_Legs ·
    • Hide content

Oh, we're happy to do it, but if anything we're just not getting over which to pick. He's a photographer and (fortunately) very busy and to be honest I wonder if we really need the added stress of arranging it especially as it's the only time I'm going to be doing it. ?

• S
    Beginner May 2014
    Shmoo_Legs ·
    • Hide content

Firstly, we're looking at May for about 60-ish people. OH likes - The Tin Tabernacle, Barcombe. I like - Stanmer House, Brighton, and/or Barcombe Village Hall (2 differetn venues!).

Tin Tabernacle - If I really knuckle it down it's the outside space/location. It's quite out in the sticks and has lovely views, but is limited in it's own outside space to move around in. No parking (we can arrange a vintage bus, but for those who want to drive, it s abit of a squeeze on a country lane) and no gardens...just a small gravel area which has seen better days. The main space itself is lovely, but I can't help thinking that people will feel a bit 'hemmed in'.

As for the OH - I should say he's probably got his work hat on as he's a photographer and he sees the pitfalls of a lot of venues, but I see it as being able to recognise those and make them work for us. He wants something a bit quirky that we can make 'ours' for the day, but I believe you can do that in your styling anyway.

Stanmer House - from what I can make out he has issues with the amount of garden furniture (it can be moved) and that we walk the dog there (it's in a nature reserve!). Personally, I think he's nick-picking.

Barcombe VH - that it's a bit 'clinical/angular'. Again, I think it can be worked with.

We don't have a theme as such, but we both like the vintage feel and are wanting to have afternoon tea and a BBQ in the evening.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Out of those three Stanmer House is definitely my favourite. it looks a lot more expensive though - is it?

Tin Tabernacle doesn't look like it would hold that many people for a sit down meal - are you having a sit down meal?

Barcombe Village Hall would require a bit too much venue dressing for my liking and I would imagine you would be in exactly the same situation as the Tin Tabernacle with regards to doing everything yourself?

• S
    Beginner May 2014
    Shmoo_Legs ·
    • Hide content

Mine too! As far as initial venue cost is concerned - yes, it is more expensive by about £1300 if we do it on a Thurs...add another £2k for a Fri/Sat. Plus catering too. It has gorgeous surrounding grounds and a nice flow of 3 connecting rooms (which you can have set up however you want i.e. dining, dance and bar/chill area and gardens exclusively. He just doesn't feel the 'love' for the place.

Tin Tabernacle is deceiving. When we went for an unofficial peek (we'd only aimed to press our nose against the window at this stage), there was a wedding party who were clearing up from the day before. They had 75 for a sit-down & said it was perfect. It's a nice space for our 60-ish people, but then you have the whole hassle of clearing down for a dance floor. I'd like it to flow as much as possible without stressing about what's got to be done next.

Agreed on Barcombe VH. I'm sure it can be done, but think we'd be 'making do'.

We're looking to have afternoon tea then a gourmet BBQ in the evening. Quite relaxed. But we are financing ourselves and OH loves to look at the pennies over anything else! Meh!

Somehow need to convince OH I'm right. I think we could do it on our budget too.

Btw, your wedding was stunning and your dress has been my fave for some time too - there was a slight intake of breath when I saw it! Just gorgeous!

• E
    Beginner
    ej1981 ·
    • Hide content

Message for Saisi! - Hi, I have seen a few of your posts and saw that your location is London and that you had a dry hire venue - was really hoping you could let me know where you picked (by private e-mail if you like!), desperately looking for cheap ideas! No worries if you don't want to disclose, worth a try :-)

Thanks

EJ x

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahh thanks Smiley smile

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

EJ, I think I have 'emailed' you through here, if you didn't get it you can send me a message: lowlitmemory @ gmail.com (take out the spaces)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics