Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vikster79
Beginner July 2011

Grand National

Vikster79, 13 April, 2012 at 09:07

Posted on Off Topic Posts 48

Do you have a sweepstake at work/with friends and what are your feelings on the race itself?

Do you have a sweepstake at work/with friends and what are your feelings on the race itself?

48 replies

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

I've never really got involved with horseracing or the GN but flicked over and caught a few minutes of it. My god it was awful to watch, very distressing. Seeing all those horses falling over is horrendous. Imagine the outrage if two jockeys had died? Yet the horses that have no choice in the matter die every year and yet it continues. I dont even like horses but this is barbaric.

• M
    Beginner July 2013
    MissMeaghan ·
    • Hide content

This may be a stupid question but don't know a great deal about horses or the GN ..

If it's just a leg break why do they have to be put down? Even if it has ruined their career as a racehorse surely they can still live a happy life somehwere else in a field or whatever if the leg eventually heals properly? ☹️

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

Horses can't rest and recover in the same way we can and the break would never heal so to euthanise is the kindest thing to do (apparently).

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

And this is the thing that sickens me most about the Grand National particularly. I can't argue well against a horse-owner who tells me that horses want to run, they love to race. I don't know, I am not very horsey! But the Grand National (and maybe other steeplechases) aren't a natural expression of a horse's desire to run, they are course designed to trick horses into dangerous positions. How can any racecourse justify lowering a landing site so far below the takeoff point? The horse has very little time to correct and is likely on an incorrect stride pattern.

Imagine a person jumping over a foot high fence and then seeing it was a four foot drop on the other side? Broken legs might be a lucky escape.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You are right, I was looking at the deaths at each jump.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Well I didnt win any money this year.☹️

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Horses can and do recover from broken legs but they would have to be on box rest for months and months, which isn't nice for a horse. They would usually need to be harnessed too, to support the weight of the horse. It's often better to "put it out of it's misery" before it feels the pain though. There's also infections and pneumonia to worry about.

• NewYearRose
    Beginner December 2012
    NewYearRose ·
    • Hide content

If any human sport saw deaths at such a rate, it would be scrapped, but yet people seem to accept it as being "part of life" when it's animals.

Pah.

Thankfully, it seems that with every passing year, more and more people realise how barbaric this event this is.

Hopefully it won't be too long before it's scrapped.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It'll never get scrapped. They make too much money from it.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

I've never really watched it and certainly wouldn't bet on it.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Even when F1 had many deaths and injuries during the 70/80s, it was the drivers that had to pay for their own medical cover and ambulances as the track owners didn't care. It took years of campaigning, more accidents and threatening to boycott races for there to be changes.

Realistically, if it's that hard to get safer measures in for a human life, then those money grabbing organisers aren't going to care about some poor horses ☹️

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics