Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner April 2012

Grandad

hollyberryleaf, 26 January, 2012 at 03:01 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 6

Hi all!

This is my first post in here, sorry if it's in the wrong place!

We're getting married in April (not long now, woop!), and after lengthy family discussions it's been decided that my Grandad, who is in a nursing home with dementia, isn't going to be able to come (he has been showing signs of behaviour issues and has a routine now).

I'm devastated that he can't come, but don't know how to 'honour' him. I thought about an area where I could put pictures of him, but I don't want it to be 'in memory' because it would seem as if he's not 'around' any more. I also don't want to upset anyone in the family.

I'd be very grateful if anyone has any tips/ideas,

Thanks, Holly xx

6 replies

Latest activity by AmnesiaCustard, 26 January, 2012 at 10:29
  • Hunry
    Beginner May 2012
    Hunry ·
    • Hide content

Hi Holly

My Grandad has passed away, so I know it isn't the same, but i am having a mini picture frame attached to my bouquet with his picture in it. This way he is there with me whilst I walk down the aisle, and it won't upset anyone else...as who will really notice it!

We are in exactly the same situation with the OH's grandma, so I know how upset you will be about this.

Hope you get something sorted!

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

My Granddad died before our wedding and my Nan was too ill to make it (she has Parkinsons). I had a photo of Granddad attached to my bouquet and my Nan's oridginal wedding ring tied to my bouquet too.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

My Nan couldn't make it for a similar reason. I had a quiet moment to myself on the morning of the wedding, thinking of her and the grandparents I'd lost. My dad then briefly mentioned her in his speech. It seemed to be enough. My mum then took my bouquet to her the next day. Photos seem a bit macabre.

• stripeyrache
    Beginner February 2011
    stripeyrache ·
    • Hide content

Again different situation as my grandad wasn't with us anymore, but I had the buttonhole he had worn at his wedding in my bouquet.

I think a simple mention during one of the speeches would be nice. As has already been said, photos of elderly relatives at events like this are generally assumed to be dead.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

We had similar as my FIL is in a nursing home with dementia, whilst my own father has passsed away.

We mentioned them both in the prayers (as in "those that can't be with us today" an specified them by name, and I proposed a toast to "absent friends" (unnamed) in my speech. This made sense to us as a frinds weho should have been at our wedding had died the week before and my H's Uncle died the month before the wedding too. It encompassed everyone without saying the word "died" so FIL (and another friend to ill to attend) were included as simply being absent.

We also lit candles in the chapel when we signed the register, but that was a private moment between H and myself - the congregation were unaware that this happened.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics