Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

clair_de_lune
Beginner

Gravy for Shepherds Pie

clair_de_lune, 26 of March of 2009 at 09:48 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 11

Google doesn't appear to be my friend today although I could be searching wrong. I'm making shepherds pie on Sunday (with minced lamb)- but how do I make a gravy for it? I really, really don't want to use sodding granules any more. I want to make gravy from the lamb I've got but don't know where to start. Can anyone help?

11 replies

Latest activity by Sparkley, 26 of March of 2009 at 15:12
  • SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

So you're using minced raw lamb as opposed to minced cooked lamb left over from a roast?

Brown the meat well. Take it out of the pan and add your onion, carrots, celery/whatever you're using. Saute until transparent and starting to colour. Return the meat to the pan and add a splash of red wine, L&Ps and some stock - lamb or chicken, ideally fresh but half a stock cube and a bit of water will be fine. Reduce it all down slowly for an hour or so. If you wanted you could thicken it by adding a bit of flour to the veg before you add the liquid, but I wouldn't bother. Essentially the browning of the meat and the veg, together with the liquid you add, makes your "gravy".

• clair_de_lune
    Beginner
    clair_de_lune ·
    • Hide content

Sorry Sophie, I can do the actual shepherds pie, I meant a separate gravy. I'm using raw lamb mince, yes.

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh, right, sorry. Why do you want separate gravy you freak? ?

• clair_de_lune
    Beginner
    clair_de_lune ·
    • Hide content

To put on the top, you Southern gravyphobe. ?

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and confess to my mother I don't know how to make gravy aren't I. ?

• WifeyLind
    Beginner April 2006
    WifeyLind ·
    • Hide content

OK, this can apply to any style of gravy.

use the left over fat from the meat and heat this up (if you don't have any residual fat use butter). Add a tablespoonful of plain flour and mix together over a heat. Then start adding some stock (I've used knorr stock cubes for this). don't add all in one go, but just add a little then mix all in and keep going until you have the desired consistency. You will then have a gravy...I've just realised a flaw in my instructions....the colour of the gravy won't be brown, as the only way I get it brown is by adding "Kulor" which is a danish product they put in their sauces here. It's my cheat way of getting it brown, but it is literally a caramel that doesn't add any flavour, but colours the sauce/gravy.

Not sure if that helps you or not. ?

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

But you won't have any juices from the meat to make it with like you would with a roast. You can't make gravy from scratch like that, you need a base for it. Just go to Waitrose and buy some soddding gravy if you must. Otherwise you'll have to resort to the Bisto box, and we don't want that do we? ?

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

Actually, there is a way, but we're talking faff-tastic.

Buy some lamb bones from your butcher. Roast in a hot oven with onion, carrot, celery. Remove bones and veg and make stock. Sprinkle some flour into the juices in the roasting pan, add liquid and proceed as for normal gravy.

• geekypants
    Beginner August 2008
    geekypants ·
    • Hide content

I sometimes make a marsala based one, a bit like Wifey Lind.

Melt some fat (without a roast, it'll have to be butter0, make a roux with flour. Splash in some marsala, and then add stock until its at the right consistency. Its not dark brown, and its a very different taste to biso or similar, but its yum, especially if you did what Sophie suggested and boil up some bones for stock.

M&S/Waitrose 'fresh' gravy is probably the way to go.

• clair_de_lune
    Beginner
    clair_de_lune ·
    • Hide content

Lamb bones indeed. I think I might buy it ? I can't risk a disaster as it's for my PILs

Thanks all, will keep a note of these. ?

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

Theres a really simple way to do this.

when you make the filling, just double the liquid you add, and add a bit more flour. when your filling is cooked and ready to make the pie, strain all your filling through a sieve. add your filling to the pie dish, and pour over enough of the liquid to make the pie moist enough, then add your mash etc.

reduce the rest of the liquid a bit to concentrate the flavour a nd theres your gravy.

• clair_de_lune
    Beginner
    clair_de_lune ·
    • Hide content

I think even I could manage that Nick, thanks, I'll give that a go.

• Sparkley
    Beginner September 2007
    Sparkley ·
    • Hide content

I always have to make gravy to go on my shepherd pie.

Well, mine are always cottage pies as I haaaaaaaate lamb.

What's wrong with Bisto? ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics