Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner October 2014

Great fosters brides

Liz210284, 10 of October of 2013 at 11:39 Posted on Planning 0 28

So it's now 364 days until my wedding!!!! Eeeeek

we appear to be taking a very laid back approach to it all I haven't even been dress shopping yet. I plan to make Make my own invites and I'm considering doing the flowers myself with the help of some very crafty friends :-)

Just wanted to hear your experiences of getting married at great fosters. Who your suppliers were etc. our whole day is there ceremony and reception.

Anyway that's my introduction to me :-) hope you're all well

Xx

28 replies

Latest activity by Shoe_girl09, 13 of January of 2014 at 14:23
  • B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

Great Fosters is a lovely venue, the grounds are to die for, getting ready rooms are a bit dark and small but nothing to be worried about.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

I'll tell you tomorrow as that's where we're having our reception ?

well maybe not tomorrow....

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I've been to a couple of weddings there and it's such a gorgeous venue. The food was amazing too so you're in for a treat

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    Liz210284 ·
    • Hide content

Hi gnashers,

how was your big day?

xx

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Absolutely brilliant!

It rained all day but it didn't matter one bit, we still got outside for pics, and it meant people stayed in and enjoyed the lovely inside. The food was immense and my tog said the banqueting manager was the best on the day coordinator she had ever experienced.

im getting my photos tomorrow and will aim to get my report done by the end of the week, so you can see it all then.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    Liz210284 ·
    • Hide content

Fantastic I honestly can't wait to read about your day. I love seeing other weddings at great fosters it just makes me more excited for ours!

Xx

• Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

Ohhh I LOVE Great Fosters.

I have done a few stationery orders there and our Post Box has been on hire there quite a few times.

It's a very nice venue ?

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    Liz210284 ·
    • Hide content

Gnasher's I've just read your finished wedding blog and it was lovely :-)

i didn't want to hijack your thread so posting in here.

A bit of advice from you if possible, when you sent out your invites did you provide dets of alternate accommodation near by and if so any recommendations?

Also, the fairy lighting in the barn, if you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for that? We got a quote from another company but it was very expensive and so looking for cheaper options.

xx

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahhhh thanks,

the supplier of the fairy lights is on my report, the second page, there is a list of all the suppliers I used...they cost £389 which is a lot but much cheaper than other quotes we had.

i created a wedding website which had details of local accommodation - I'll find you a link later so you can have a look at it - I also emailed people when the Travelodge rooms in Staines went on sale, most people only paid £25 a room.

they are also opening a Travelodge in Egham next spring which would be ideal for (not sure when your wedding is though)

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    Liz210284 ·
    • Hide content

That would be fantastic thank you.

the fairy lights are a lot cheaper than what we were recently quoted!!!

Our wedding is ion the 9th October! Around same time as your anniversary lol

any advice is appreciated x

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha, yes I realised that was a daft question when you said about it being 364 days to go!

Our wedding website was https://kirstyandmark.gettingmarried.org.uk/ (password is loftuslola)

Hope that helps!

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    Liz210284 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much that's so nice of you! Seeing how it all comes together in our venue makes it so much more exciting.

Unlike yourself we are having the ceremony there too so getting married in the orangery. :-)

we have Sarah as our wedding coordinator.

X

• Photo Productions
    Photo Productions ·
    • Hide content

Hi Liz

One of our colleagues got married at GF in January - it was a wonderful wedding, very picturesque along with that beautiful snowy garden.

They had a cermony in the Orangery and around 100 people in the Barn for dinner.Here's what i remember, if it's any help..

They had a 6 piece band ( i think) on a stage at the end of the room near the big doors, and an area left as a dancefloor just in front

Lots of candles on the tables and around the room which made it all very romantic and intimate, plus big tall flowers in the middle of the tables

The staff seemed really pleasant and the food was excellent!

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful day!

Best of luck

Marc

• S
    Beginner June 2014
    Shoe_girl09 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Getting married at Great Fosters on the 20th of June 14 and not done much planning - where is your blog so I can steal some ideas please? Smiley smile

Bit of a virgin to this website!

Thank you all!

xxx

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

Not sure who you are asking but heres a wedding from Great Fosters

slideshow
    http://www.inframeweddings.co.uk/great-fosters-surrey-wedding-photographer/
    stills
    http://www.inframeweddings.co.uk/search/great-fosters-surrey/page/2/
    facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150252525581680.324033.104021251679&type=3

• dearbarbie
    Beginner July 2015
    dearbarbie ·
    • Hide content

WOW I'm so jealous! I live around the corner from Great Fosters but we daren't even enquire as we probably can't afford it. Trying to not spend more than £6000!!!!

• Bride2Bmarch15
    Beginner March 2015
    Bride2Bmarch15 ·
    • Hide content

Im not far either, where did u enquire i booked mine for under 7100k all included (most places exclude taxes so b carefull) and i did have extras on top of mine. i booked in cowley uxbridge

• dearbarbie
    Beginner July 2015
    dearbarbie ·
    • Hide content

Not sure if you mean me - we haven't enquired. I live in Egham and it would be my dream place but alas it's obvs not to be :/

• S
    Beginner June 2014
    Shoe_girl09 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry all, I was looking for gnashers' wedding blog- which I have found since then - gorgeous wedding by the way!

Great Fosters is now booked, we're doing it on a Friday just in the orangery (which is my favourite room anyway) to keep the costs relatively low.

So now it's a question of just organising the rest (chair covers, flowers etc). Debating whether to have their house wine or bring my own wine in- what do people think?

When is everyone else getting married?

Getting very excited!

xx

• S
    Beginner June 2014
    Shoe_girl09 ·
    • Hide content

Hello all -would anyone who got married at Great Fosters be willing to let me know who they used for chair covers and sashes and roughly how much it was?

Thanks a lot

Laura

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You are probably better off looking at my wedding report, it's in my signature ?

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Can't help as we hired in chairs but my florist suggested Host with Style before I told her I was getting chairs. You're looking at about £4 a chair I think.

ETA On the second page of my report is a list of suppliers I used, all of whom I would recommend.

• S
    Beginner June 2014
    Shoe_girl09 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Smiley smile We are having quite a small wedding already - only 60 (ish the list keeps on growing EEEK!) guests so we are spending as much as we can per person.

I am really particular about wine so we were thinking instead of serving their house we would get some chablis wholesale as it'll work out about the same as their house with corking on top. Have you tried their wine and which ones would you recommend? We have a tasting arranged for March.

Re chairs I'll speak to Host with Style to see what they quote- £3 seems quite a lot, I thought it was more like £2 Smiley smile

Your wedding looked amazing! I want a slightly more bohemian/tea party atmosphere - with wild floweres in mismatched vases, teapots and mismatched china on tables... I might end up doing some decorating myself (i'll no doubt be telling you closer to the date if I bit off more than I can chew!)

Thank you so much for all the tips and keep them coming please Smiley smile
    Laura

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We went with a simple Pinot Grigio for white, as it's quite light, and then a montepulciano for the red, which was lovely. The Pinot was lovely and a lot of people liked it. I didn't want to buy in wine, as you put the corkage to your minimum spend, and then have to pay for the wine on top IYSWIM, and we didn't want to go over the minimum spend.

No chance getting chair covers for £2 I don't think.

That sounds lovely...I think it would work in the Orangery and it is quite light...the Barn needs a lot of big impacty stuff, hence the huge flower arrangements!

I'm not sure what you are doing about flowers but I would highly recommend my florist. If you supply her all the cups etc she would do it for you. It depends on your budget though.

• S
    Beginner June 2014
    Shoe_girl09 ·
    • Hide content

Wow, you managed to stay under the minimum spend? How did you manage that??? My minimum spend is £56 and I am looking at spending £100 per head at this stage...

Hence my flower budget only being about £500. I actually didn't want the Tythe Barn precisely because it's not that light, plus we had to have at least 100 people for a summer wedding and I just wanted a knees up with my closest friends (I'm also 'lucky' that I have a very small family). I was actually thinking of either getting the flowers from the Covent Garden Flower market or ordering them online... I have to say I thought that Great Fosters 'Trusted Suppliers' looked a bit crusty and old-fashioned so I was staying away from them.

Thanks for the heads up on the wines, I'll try them before making a final decision Smiley smile

Loved your lit-up letters although they are way out of our budget Smiley smile

xx

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our minimum spend was a lot more, can't remember the numbers.

I thought the orangery had a max of 80? That might be just the meal though? Not sure as we didn't use it.

Yea the barn is quite dark, which is why it worked for us and our October wedding. Plus it wasn't very nice weather wise on our day so we had them put the fire on, which was awesome

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I thought the orangery had a max of 80? That might be just the meal though? Not sure as we didn't use it.

Yea the barn is quite dark, which is why it worked for us and our October wedding. Plus it wasn't very nice weather wise on our day so we had them put the fire on, which was awesome

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

• S
    Beginner June 2014
    Shoe_girl09 ·
    • Hide content

Hello all - happy to report that I found a company that does chair covers starting from £2.50 including sash and VAT and set up thanks to the lovely Liz!

Well chuffed! They're sending me samples in the post this week so fingers crossed!

This forum is so useful!

xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics