Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Scottishterrier

greedy kitten help

Scottishterrier, 30 of August of 2009 at 12:05 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 5

We got a new kitten a few weeks ago and she is doing great, settled in well and gets on with the dogs and kids.

However she is extremely greedy, i have never come across a cat like this in my life. She will try to leap onto plates when people are eating, she jumped onto the hob 3 times in a row to try to get into the pot which was boiling away. despite almost burning herself she still went back for more. She eats like a horse and my vet has checked everything and says no medical reason.

Its such a shame as otherwise she is a great wee thing, she is best friends with my American bulldog and is very effectionate and loving but the kids and i can't sit down to eat without her jumping on us..if she is pushed away she comes back and grabs your hands, elbows etc. I have started to lock her away while we eat but she literally screams the place down!

ps she is now 5 months old

any help on this one? x

5 replies

Latest activity by Scottishterrier, 30 of August of 2009 at 15:09
  • Hawhaw
    Beginner February 2007
    Hawhaw ·
    • Hide content

Where did you get her from?

I only ask because our kitten was the same, his mother was feral and he'd picked up bad feeding habits from her.

He's now almost a year old and no longer tries to take food of our plates but we have to be careful not to leave any food out. He has eaten raw carrots, bread and tried garlic?

• Scottishterrier
    Scottishterrier ·
    • Hide content

She came from a breeder of Turkish Vans. all house cats from what i can tell. and yeah my little one has gnawed through a block of cheese, fruit in the bowl..can't leave anything out anymore! x

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I've got 2 greedy cats and they have only got worse as they have got older and are now 5 1/2. One of them, Harvey, is also a pretty stressed out cat and we have tried anti stress defusers, sprays, tablets everything possible and he remains stressed and greedy beyond belief. If we don't feed him by 8am and 5pm he literally pulls his fur out and cries constantly. He would love to be fed at 4am as well but gets put down the stairs instead.

My vet suggested worming them but it made no difference. They are both overweight and the stressy cat got called a 'double cat' at the vets last year ?. He should weigh around 4kg but instead was nearer to 8kg.

I think we are to blame for leaving out dry food for them all day when they were around 5 months old and we did this for a few years until Harvey got very ill and then needed a special food so they are probably used to eating too much and also when they want.

Can't offer any help other than to make sure the food gives them all the correct vitamins etc and that the quantity is correct.

• Peaches
    Super January 2012
    Peaches ·
    • Hide content

Water sprays work wonders, and even better are these things

• Peaches
    Super January 2012
    Peaches ·
    • Hide content

Http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/761717/how_to_curb_a_greedy_cats_appetite.html?cat=22

http://www.toptipsforgirls.com/tip/how_to_deal_with_a_greedy_cat_who_wont_stop_mewing_for_food/10114/

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071004085125AAEqB6P

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=11376014

• Scottishterrier
    Scottishterrier ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Peaches. lots to read up on now x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics