Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner August 2011

Greta Green weddings...

engaged2011, 19 of January of 2012 at 03:13 Posted on Planning 0 19

Anyone else getting wed at Gretna Green? If so, what venue?

or anyone on here no of of any weddings that they could tell me how they went? Any feedback greatly appreciated

It is 3am and i clearly cant sleep! my mind is in overdrive right now....arrgghh!! x

19 replies

Latest activity by Samantha, 29 of August of 2024 at 17:50
  • G
    Beginner April 2012
    gheko ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

I am getting married in Gretna. Our venue is the Anvil Hall, its beautiful and all candlelit (is an ex catholic church). We are then having a small reception (14 of us going down) and having a huge party when we get home. We have been down to visit so if you need feedback on any places give me a shout. You can either arrange it yourself or there is the gretna wedding bureau who will do it all for you.

• E
    Beginner August 2011
    engaged2011 ·
    • Hide content

Anvil Hall looks ideal and love the candelit idea! Where are you having your reception? I have never even been to Scotland, let alone Gretna Green!! Just the idea of a big, expensive wedding is making me really anxious. Doing it small in Gretna is appealing to both us of right now Smiley smile

• G
    Beginner April 2012
    gheko ·
    • Hide content

There are quite a few hotels in Gretna where you can have a small reception. It is very scenic. There are those who say it is very touristy but the Anvil is not near there. If you did it at the Blacksmiths then you would expect a few tourists as the tourist centre is there. Depends where you go. Also you dont witness a queue of weddings lol, some folk seem to think this.

If you look at Gretna Wedding Bureau's site, this can give you an idea. Another one is One Stop Weddings.

• B
    Beginner March 2014
    babybl00 ·
    • Hide content

We are also thinking of the Anvil Hall at Gretna. Neither of us want a big wedding and would probably go abroad to do it but I want my gran to see me getting married as she didn't see my sister. There are loads of wedding places in Gretna and all beautiful in different ways.

• S
    Sheer Gold ·
    • Hide content

We got married in Gretna Green in 1997, it was Christmas Eve,I arranged it all myself over the phone as I didn't have a computer then , it is very easy to arrange DIY is so much cheaper, you can download the form you need online from the registration office in Gretna ...it's the M10 all the info you need is on their web-site , you will also need to book a minister if you marry away from the registration office.

We married at the Blacksmiths Cottage, there are various venues around Gretna or you could choose to stay in some lovely places near by, from country hotels to city hotels, the choice is vast.

• E
    Beginner August 2011
    engaged2011 ·
    • Hide content

This might seem like a silly question, but are there any venues where you have the evening party without having to share it with other couples?! I have been in contact with The Mill Forge and it looks lovely, but thr evening disco, you share with the other couple. I cant imagine the first dance being witnessed by strangers! But I just want to get married now and I could get over that if I had too!

Cxx

• E
    Beginner August 2011
    engaged2011 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your reply! I am still finding it hard to imagine how it will all go with other couples being there!

? do you have an account of how the day went anywhere? would love to read it!

Clare x

• S
    Sheer Gold ·
    • Hide content

You can get married at Gretna Green and stay in any hotel of your choice either in Gretna or on the outskirts, we stayed at Kirkconnel Hall Hotel then had a car to take us the short drive to Gretna then returned to hotel and stayed in the bridel suite. There are lots of hotels that would do your evening reception to suit many budgets. The registry office is right in the middle of the village ....personally I wouldn't get married there but choose another venue. Around the blacksmiths shop gets very busy with tourists they arrive in coaches to visit.After your wedding you have to return to the registry office in person to collect your wedding certificate....not too sure what the time scale is now but they will advise ?

• G
    Beginner April 2012
    gheko ·
    • Hide content

I know lots of girls from the Gretna forum who got their certificates posted out to them, they didn't have to pick it up in person. We were originally going to be staying at Whitecroft which was lovely but the folk did a runner.

• S
    Sheer Gold ·
    • Hide content

Thing must have changed since I married there then ? OMG hope you have got it sorted out.

• G
    Beginner April 2012
    gheko ·
    • Hide content

We went down and sorted it all, picked a new hotel. Luckily had paid deposits for reception by credit card so was covered and got money back, was still a downer though. Have fully fledged wedding insurance now. If ya can pick it up that might be better idea, i never thought of that lol.

• S
    Sheer Gold ·
    • Hide content

Pleased to hear you have got it all sorted out ? I hope everything goes well for you, I recently watched the video of our wedding in Gretna it still brings back lovely memories, we have returned to Gretna many many times since and are very lucky now to be able to help other brides to realise their dreams ?

• G
    Beginner April 2012
    gheko ·
    • Hide content

Just noticed you do wedding cars. We are tied to who we use as went through the bureau but do love the car. We are having the windsor royale.

• S
    Sheer Gold ·
    • Hide content

Yes after getting married in 1997 on Xmas Eve at Gretna Green we intended to start a business, we love classic cars and have owned several over the years, so we searched high and low for our Rolls Royce cars, we wanted a pale champagne gold ( our trade mark ) we had to go to Ireland for one of them .....cut a long story short we worked hard to realise our dream.

I'm sure you will be very happy with your car ? Hope you have a wonderful day !!!

• E
    Beginner August 2011
    engaged2011 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all your replies.

I have too'd and fro'd a number of times as I so indecisive.

I think if we do do GG we will stick with the Mill Forge and have a party back home

Thanks again

(any more reports or advice for GG weddings, I would be most grateful)

• M
    Beginner December 2011
    MrsR2013 ·
    • Hide content

Hi I got married in Gretna in november, and it was perfect! I always wanted the big white wedding but when it came to it just couldnt face spending all that

money out on one day, we got married at the anvill hall , which is beautiful, and booked it all through gretna weddign bureau, they were so helpful! We then had our wedding breakfast at the gretna hall hotel, they were brilliant too , we only had 21 people including ourselves so it was perfect, would definitly recommend, its so different to what people think, i also did mine all over the internet/phone , id never been to gretna, , so just based it on photos!!

xx

• Samantha
    Beginner August 2025 Dumfries Galloway & Ayrshire
    Samantha ·
    • Hide content
    We are planning a secret wedding in August next year with just our teenagers as guest.

We are looking at the forge room.
    I don't know what we will do about photographs. I am happy for just the package that comes with it but I'm starting to worry about the getting ready.
    We plan to keep it a complete secret.
    I know I want a wedding dress. I know I want some photos.
    What more do we need?
    I want to keep it simple for just us. But also it's still our wedding day.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics