Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner November 2014

Gretna Green

RomanticBrownFlowers155, 18 of June of 2014 at 19:02 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I'm hoping that i could have some help please.

We (Mark & I) have been engaged since the end of November and have since then been deciding on what we want to do for our wedding. Neither of us have much family and we have made a decision that getting married and spending the rest of our married life together is more important to us than having a big wedding plus the cost of a wedding around here (Essex) is silly.

We recently made a decision to go away to Gretna Green to get married taking with us Marks 2 lovely girls (17 and 11) to share our special day. Upon our return we are planning on having a party with all our friends to celebrate.

I would love to hear from anybody who has got married in Gretna Green or even anybody that has eloped, we don't plan on telling anybody about the wedding because we feel it would be too much pressure and take away from our special day.

I have looked at various venues and wonder what times people have got married, we were looking to get married early afternoon, have a lovely dinner together but this is as far as i have got.

I would like to hear from people about their day and what they did after the ceremony/dinner with only a few people.

Any help would be greatly received.

Thanks

Mark & Katy

2 replies

Latest activity by InkedDoll, 19 of June of 2014 at 11:16
  • M
    Beginner April 2015
    Mrs-S-to-be ·
    • Hide content

I wrote a lovely long reply and lost it! Argh, phones!

welcome to hitched! I'm not eloping, but a few are (I think some are actually away eloping). I read on here about the blacksmiths shop in Gretna and it looks stunning, so worth a look! Otherwise, at least I'm bumping you up so relevant people see you Smiley smile

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Hi and welcome to Hitched.

Quite a few members have eloped - although some end up being weddings in the end lol, and some have gone to Gretna.

Gretna can get very busy as lots of people go there to get married so you'll need to bear that in mind. If it's just going to be the four of you which sounds lovely, don't rule out other areas. There are some stunningly beautiful registry offices around the country and some have very small and intimate rooms. So if there's somewhere that's special to you, perhaps think about that. This might then help you frame and build your day.

How you fill the day really depends on what time you want to get married which will also be influenced by the venue and registrar. If you go for a Saturday or main bank holiday you'll find they get booked up quickly, but if you can be flexible you'll get more the wedding you want.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married at the blacksmiths shop at Gretna in January (on a Friday). We originally intended to elope but had a rethink and have now invited parents, siblings, aunts and uncles (will probably be 12-16 people total). Our wedding is at 3pm and we're eating together at the Mill Forge at 5.30 - we're staying at Smiths hotel, but didn't like their menu for dinner. I will do a report after the wedding! Re the point about it getting busy - that is true, but I quite like the idea of there being tourists around, and I absolutely love the history and tradition of couples getting married at Gretna. It feels like we are part, albeit a very small part, of carrying on a great tradition.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics