Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner March 2026

Gretna Green Elopement info

HappyRedFlowers158, 3 of July of 2014 at 18:22 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi Ladies,

This is my first post and hope someone can help me.

My OH and I are planning on getting marrie

d in Gretna Green on New Years Eve - just the 2 of us, in secret which is either very romantic or (knowing my mum) a suicide pact! We have both had big weddings before and as beautiful as my day was, there is no way I can go through that again!

I have booked the Blacksmiths Shop and just want to know what to expect. The more I read up, the more questions I have and I'm just getting so confused. The questions I have are as follows

We are staying in Smiths Hotel which looks beautiful but I read somewhere that when the couple returned to their room, it had been decorated with flowers and candles. - is this a one off or has anyone else had this?

I have many allergies and my OH is extremely fussy. Do we have to eat in the Smiths restaurant or are there other places and how close are they?

I think that's all for now, I'm sure I'll be back with millions of other questions. any other general information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks x

5 replies

Latest activity by HappyRedFlowers158, 5 of July of 2014 at 15:41
  • RizzieRazzle
    Beginner August 2014
    RizzieRazzle ·
    • Hide content

We're running off to Gretna too!

You don't *have* to eat at Smith's restaurant, but if you have allergies and stuff and tell them in advance they can cater for you (I know because one of my kids has a gluten allergy and I had to check that out). Also, the lounge menu is pretty diverse so there'll probably be something your OH would love Smiley smile

I think the room being decorated is an extra you can add, but can't say for sure as I haven't stayed there yet.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I'm also getting married at Gretna in January, at the blacksmiths and staying at Smiths. No, of course you don't have to eat there - it's just the same as staying at any other hotel! We are eating at the Mill Forge restaurant as they are cheaper, and I'm a vegan and they have far more choice. We've paid I think £30 extra to have flowers and champagne in the room, but the main reason I went for that is that it also includes a late checkout the next day.

• H
    Beginner March 2026
    HappyRedFlowers158 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for replies, helped a lot.

I've also read somewhere that it's a bit like a conveyor belt of weddings which to be honest doesn't bother me at all, I just like to know what to expect. Do all the wedding parties share a reception venue? It will be a little different for us as it's new years eve.

I wish it was 5 mins down the road intead of 8 hours!!

• RizzieRazzle
    Beginner August 2014
    RizzieRazzle ·
    • Hide content

I've booked a room for our mini-reception - it's private from everybody else but still the same venue, so I assume there's a lot of private reception rooms?

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

We're just having a meal and then back to our hotel room. My family are staying in other hotels/guest houses in the area. Does the package you booked include a reception? Surely if it's only you two you don't need one?

• H
    Beginner March 2026
    HappyRedFlowers158 ·
    • Hide content

No, our package doesn't include a reception because as you say, why would we want one as it's just the two of us. Just know we will want a drink and a dance on New Year's Eve!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics