Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner

gretna green weddings, and what to do after wedding if no guests?!

miss_r, 11 of August of 2010 at 18:55 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hello

Thanks for the help/suggestions/comments i've had so far on other posts. Still trying to decide where to get married.

Amongst other venues that we're considering, we're also considering gretna green, blacksmiths shop, probably the workshop/original room. Haven't ever been there so am feeling a bit unsure about it. Especially If we decide to get married in gretna green or somewhere else in scotland we won't go there/visit venue before we book/big day as we live in England (Midlands).

Have you been to gretna green?? Are you getting married there?? I am also wondering what it would be like in November, and what time of day to have the wedding, especially for the photos.

I Like the idea of it being by candlelight, as it will be quite a small wedding i'm hoping it would be atmospheric with candles. But if its dark out after wedding what about the photos?? Or should we have it earlier in day? Found out sunset is at approx 4.30pm in November and the last wedding they do is at 5pm, so what light/time of day would be best for photos???

Also the tradition of being apart the night before, how would that work if its just us 2 attending (hiring witnesses), would he go to venue first and I have to have other hotel room??

And go to the venue on my own?? I don't like the idea of walking around in my wedding dress on my own if there are crowds around. I am a bit scared of being the centre of attention, I am a nervous person anyway and often feel self conscious.

Also after wedding if its just us 2 what would we do afterwards????

Sorry i've so many questions!! Thanks for reading!

4 replies

Latest activity by Hayleyb242, 19 of November of 2018 at 14:49
  • agentblackcat
    Beginner July 2011
    agentblackcat ·
    • Hide content

My friends got married at Gretna Green in October - not sure of the time but they got lovely photos outdoors. In november it will def be getting dark by 4.30ish. They went on there own and had a lovely meal afterwards. Not sure about the night before though. xx

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

Not sure about photos. I'm sure they have coordinators who can answer all that for you. As for after the wedding... order room service and a few bottles of fizz and enjoy being married ?

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

OH and I had a road trip earlier in the year from South West, up to Gretna, Dumfries, then ferry over to Ireland.

While in gretna we went to the Blacksmiths and were really impressed with the location. there was a lovely courtyard and the area out side was really pretty. (we didnt see the room where the ceremony actually takes place)

It wasnt the best weather but it still looked nice and of course we had a photo by the Gretna Green sign and on a lovely gazebo with GG anvil! Here is a photo of the grounds that we took

Plenty of spots for lovely photos (this obviously doesnt show it all!)

not great advice about a wedding there but hopefuly my 'location advise' is useful!!

• M
    Beginner April 2011
    Morley2B ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married in Gretna Green next April, had it booked for a year!! Its fantastic up there, so romantic! Everything you need for a wedding is there and there is no stress in planning because that's what Gretna is known for so everywhere you turn there is a florist, photographer B & B etc

This is where I'm getting married http://www.anvilhallgretnagreen.com/

This is where I'm having my reception and staying over http://www.smithsgretnagreen.com/

If you need anything I've got a list of supplies the length of my arm!!

• H
    Beginner
    Hayleyb242 ·
    • Hide content

Hi I'm Hayley I've been with my partner 11years I have a 15 year old and and 8 year old to me getting married doesn't change anything .

I'm not one for traditional but me and my other half are considering gretna green.

Can i ask how your wedding went? I don't have guests as my mum and dad separated when I was a teen and they can't be in the same room so it seems simple to do it like that I'm one for simple relaxed and chilled as my son is disabled can you help?

Thank you x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics