Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner May 2014

Gretna/Dumfries venue ideas? Caerlaverock Castle?

julz_s, 28 May, 2012 at 15:58 Posted on Planning 0 5

So we had originally decided on a lake district wedding but we are now considering moving it up to gretna/dumfries area to see if we can get something a bit cheaper. Looking for any recommendations for venues, prefer hotel/country house type and not right in the middle of gretna.

Quite like the look of Caerlaverock Caste for the ceremony, has anyone been to a wedding or got married there recently? The only thing that concerns me is that since they dont close the castle to visitors there will be bus loads of Japanese tourists in all my pics lol!

Going to head up there with the tent at the weekend and look at some places so any ideas welcome ?

5 replies

Latest activity by LuluJam, 14 November, 2012 at 14:51
  • Little Miss Tweety
    Beginner August 2012
    Little Miss Tweety ·
    • Hide content

Hello ?

I live in this area!

I have not been to a wedding at caerlaverock but it is always busy in the summer months and I dont think it particularly private, beautiful tho!

There is also sweet heart abbey in new abbey - popular for weddings

Comlongin(sp) castle

I'm getting married at Mabie House, Lovely but not sure if it what you looking for.

If you need any help just let me know!

• J
    Beginner May 2014
    julz_s ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

Thanks for the reply ?

yeah thats what I was thinking re caerlaverock. Hadn't thought of sweetheart abbey though - will have a look! Mabie House looks lovely, looks like it might be out of my budget though, do you have any rough prices for it? pm if u prefer. H2B does not like comlongan castle because of all the flags, shame because I think it looks lovely!

Just noticed you are getting married on my birthday!!

• M
    Beginner
    Magserelli ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I've stayed here & have seen weddings being held. Food, service & accomodation are all fabulous. The grounds are lovely, & the building is a mix of new & old,

https://www.easy-breaks.com/wmslib/hotels/aston-hotel-dumfries/detail/A_Aston-thumb-324x163.jpg

http://astonhotels.co.uk/(S(bvygzsqds0vgrk55zb3r1ie1))/Dumfries.aspx

HTH

Mags

• Little Miss Tweety
    Beginner August 2012
    Little Miss Tweety ·
    • Hide content

Mabie doesnt charge a venue hire. You just pay for the food drink and rooms etc.

Our meal is £28.95 pp (we having an option so a set menu is slightly cheaper depending on which you choose) and our evening buffet is £9.75pp (was a slightly cheaper option but thought it looked a bit limited)

The aston that the other poster recommended is set in lovely grounds but way more expensive!

I dont like the flags at comlonan castle either so im on your H2B's side with that one!

If you have any other questions feel free to ask, PM me if you want.

Send me nice weather vibes for your birthday so i can get married outside!

When are you planning to get married?

• J
    Beginner May 2014
    julz_s ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for that! those prices are really good! we are definitely going to have a look at Mabie House ?

We aren't getting married till 2014 so still got a while to go, will def be keeping my fingers crossed for good weather for you, I really want to get married outside too!

• L
    Beginner May 2014
    LuluJam ·
    • Hide content

I'm a bit late with this, and you have probably already booked somewhere, but have you checked out Springkell? It's just outside Gretna and is a lovely 18th Century house. And you can have it private if you like. I don't know any of the other places i'm afraid, but this one looks lovely. It's website is http://www.springkell.co.uk

Good luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics