Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner

Grievance at work - experiences/advice ** poss BT**

casgup, 21 of September of 2014 at 07:59 Posted on Off Topic Posts 1 14

Morning all. Thought I'd start my Sunday by writing a cheery post about grievances at work.

I'm wondering if any of yous have ever taken a grievance out at work? What were the outcomes? Do you feel it helped or hindered your working relationships?
I'm seriously considering taking a grievance out at work against my manager, but am petrified of repercussions and what this may mean for my role and development in the future. I know employers are not supposed to discriminate, but I have seen it happen and know full well that if your cards are marked, then you've got no chance.
I've been keeping a log with times/dates/witnesses etc and believe I have grounds that I am being bullied.
Any help, experience or advice would be greatly received.

14 replies

Latest activity by Peter, 26 of September of 2014 at 01:53
  • pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I have from both sides of the fence...what I would say think carefully and be 100% sure of yourself. Think about what if you did nothing? Bullying in the workplace is a terrible thing and can't go unchecked but it will be stressful. Counter-accusations will fly as the "accused" defends their actions. Witnesses will be called and there will be tensions as a result. But that's no reason not to raise a grievance as long as you do have robust grounds for complaint. You can't predict the outcome, but you would need to prepare for it not to go your way and think about what if the outcome wasn't in your favour. A tough one and I feel for you xx

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

A few years ago, I was been involved in a protracted disciplinary case (charges brought by me and another, against a third party) that went all the way to external i.e. national review. Although we were supremely confident in our case, and judged right by every committee on the way up, it still took an enormous amount out of me. I'd say I wasn't really in the right work head space for a couple of years.

I guess I'm saying that even if a case is found in your favour, it can be really draining.

Do you belong to a union? They might be your first port of call.

• C
    Beginner
    casgup ·
    • Hide content

Thank you both for your great words of support and advice. It's everything I had already thought.

Seems greatly unfair and unjust that senior management can abuse their authority and make employees feel in such a way. I believe that although I am confident in what I have in terms of evidence and timeline, to expect colleagues to act as witnesses would be incredibly unfair. I also believe that although I am confident, I am a very small fish in a big pond. My career is something I've worked incredibly hard for and I am passionate for what I do. It just leaves a very nasty taste in my mouth that this woman can make my life difficult when there's no need to.

I am part of a union, but can't say I've ever had any dealings with them in the past. Im not sure how much faith I have in their support. I don't want to sit back and let it continue, but I also don't want to make life difficult for myself.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I suppose my question would be what sort of company you work for. Is it one that has an established hr dept and does things by the book or a small one who just pops on the acas website everytime someone has a question? The reason I ask is I think that would have a basis on whether I went ahead with it or not. In the company I work for a grievance wouldn't affect your future as far as management or hr are concerned but in a less established company (such as my previous one) you would be labeled a trouble maker.

I investigate grievances as well as hear them so I've got a fair bit of knowledge on them (I work in HR) so if you wanted to email me I'm happy to try and help if you don't want it all on here?

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I made hubby put in a grievance at his work because they were treating him like dirt and we agreed that the situation couldn't be any worse after a grievance.

I am experienced in putting legal cases together through my work (although not employment law) so wrote all hubby's letters and prepped him for the interviews etc. Just be mindful you have a 3 months from the date of the incident to bring a case to tribunal if you get no joy following the grievance procedures (I thought it was 6 months originally so unfortunately we ran out of time after exhausting the grievance procedures) on reflection I think they knew this so dragged their heels in response to the allegations.

in Hubby's case they didn't admit responsibility in any of the allegations but strangely he got a pay rise before the case had even concluded (which was part of the grievance) we also appealed the outcome of the original grievance and took A new grievance against the area manager who conducted it. I asked hubby to record the interview (with permission) which was granted, so we had all the evidence we needed in this case. The area manager was strangely moved to a different part of the company and shortly left after.

The manager who the original grievance was against now completely licks hubby's ass.

As others have said the process is completely draining but in hubby's case it was totally worth it. (But I would only start one if you are prepared to go all the way to tribunal)

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Funkyone- aren't you on holiday?!?!?

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes!

I'm by the pool but left my book in the room and I can't be arsed to go back and get it so reading hitched instead. First world problems.

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

Hi casgup, I didn't want to read and run on this one. I took a grievance out on my manager, I have experienced her bullying and intimidation for the past 5 years, I work for a local authority who have their own HR and I am in the union too. First thing I done was to write notes of what had been going on, dates, people who were there, at times it was only my boss and I too. I took advice from my union, put a formal complaint in against my manager by the way of a letter to our overall boss. I then had a meeting with HR and I took in my union rep as this way you don't feel alone. I didn't get the outcome I wanted, they twisted everything, she denied it, my work colleagues never backed me up and after that meeting I was ready to quit my job. I was never going to 've getting promoted prior to my grievance anyway as I don't suck up enough. It made me feel emotional, desperate to get a new job, upset that my colleagues didn't stand by me and I can only guess it's because they didn't want any repercussions, I didn't feel right at work for over a year. I didn't feel myself. I am still in this job, still trying to get out. She isn't my boss anymore thank goodness however we still work in the same office. Please don't feel alone in this! Do you have a close work colleague you can speak to and trust? Can you start looking for other employment? If you feel you are being bullied I say put a grievance in, I am sure some companies actually listen to their employees instead of backing up their managers. Don't let her belittle you, it's taken me to now to actually have the confidence to go to interviews, before I would apply and cancel. Hope this helps! Xx

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

I raised allegations of bullying against my boss, after 8 months of hell and the final straw was when she did something that I knew could be proved and felt like I had nothing to lose. It was awful but the right decision for me, but without the final thing she did, I don't know if I would have been able to do it. Sorry, I appreciate that's not very helpful to you.

Do you work in a large company? are there oither managers? how long have you both been there?

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Should also give credit where it is due (before getting back to my holiday) our mini was the one that enlightened me to the 3 month rule (among other things) she does give good advice when she's not been on the vino........

• C
    Beginner
    casgup ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all for the help.

Most of you are swaying me to what I was originally thinking. For an easy life keep my mouth shut. I am going to go on mat leave in feb, but it seems since telling them I'm preggers things have been made very difficult. Including ridiculing me in front of staff in a team meeting, insisting on me doing duties that weren't risk assessed, and speaking about me behind my back to work colleagues. The final straw was being told I was stupid and shouted at in front of fellow team members. (Along with a string of other sh1t which i shall not go into here).
    I work for a local authority. I've been there for five and a half years. My boss has been there for eight (maybe more). I'm not the only one who has been experiencing problems, but I have witnessed her make other people's lives very difficult when they've approached the union, which is making me more inclined to keep quiet and hope my leave comes around quick.
    I wouldn't want to leave because I absolutely love my job. It's amazing. It's just her.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha! Who would have thought it- I'm actually good at my job.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Is your union Unite??

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Keep a paper trail of all emails etc and dates. If you revisit your decision at some time, this evidence will be crucial.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You ok with this Funky????

Peter

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics