Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner October 2011

Groom changing his surname?

SuperSpud, 8 March, 2011 at 12:42 Posted on Planning 0 12

Little bit of background so you know why we're asking: Me and OH have had a long running debate about our married surname. I'm happy to take his surname, even despite his mother saying "No Mrs {OH's surname} has ever been happy". I'm hoping I will buck the trend :o)

OH does not speak to his father at all, and therefore does not want to keep his surname. He repeatedly asks to take my surname when we marry. I have no major objections to this. OH doesn't want to double-barrel our names as "that's for posh folk".

Anyway, since it means quite a lot to my OH, I don't see a problem in using my surname but I wonder if we need to do something different? I mean after the wedding if I changed my name I'd just write / phone people saying "I'm married and this is my new name" and send a copy of the certificate. Can we just do that if OH changes his to mine? or do I take his name, then change both via Deed Poll?

Not sure if anyone can help, but thought it was worth a shot.

12 replies

Latest activity by Civil Ceremonies, 8 March, 2011 at 18:56
  • Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

THere's no problem in him using your name after you're married. You will just do nothing for you and change his name by deed poll/statutory declaration.

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

Got this from the Wedding guide UK website

Changing The Man's Name
    There is of course no reason why your husband should not change his name to your maiden name upon marriage. If you plan on doing this, you simply continue using your maiden name after marriage. However, your husband will need to take additional steps to change his name.

Most simply, your husband can just start using his new name after your marriage. However, if he wishes to get all his records and documents changed without any problems or delays (for example, his passport and records such as income tax, national insurance, bank and building society accounts), he should execute a change of name by Deed Poll

HTH x

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

I think it's lovely he wants to take your surname Smiley smile

As far as I understand it, unlike women, man's name can't automatically be changed on marriage, he would have to change it via deed poll.

http://www.weddingguideuk.com

This site explains it much better than I can do!

• urbanbridesmaid
    urbanbridesmaid ·
    • Hide content

Hi there

For your H2B to change his surname to yours - he just needs to change his name by deed poll and let everyone official know that he has changed his name. That would be the easiest way. He can do that at anytime.

Louisa

• MrsShark
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsShark ·
    • Hide content

Gosh I really don't know, there seems to be some information here

http://www.weddingchaos.co.uk/GroomsArea/taking-the-brides-surname.asp

But from what I can see, it is a more complicated process to change your name as a groom!

• Natalie2011
    Beginner September 2012
    Natalie2011 ·
    • Hide content

My OH also has nothing to do with his dad and does not want to carry his name on. he has changed his name by deedpoll to his moms maiden name and that's what we will marry as.

Deedpoll name change is relatively straight forward!

• F
    Beginner May 2011
    FutureMrsC ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Thanks for posting this we have been talking about changing our surname he doesn't want to double barrel and as he doesn't speak to his parents it seems strange for us to keep his name..

Most helpful! One Happy hitcher today!

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

I was just going to suggest he changes it to his mothers maiden name, then you both get a new surname! I've seen that done before

x

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

Excellent, thank you so much ladies!

Does seem a little more fiddly than me taking his name, but as his name means nothing to him and he'd be happier with mine (or his mum's maiden name, good suggestion!) then that's fine by me.

• JonCraven
    JonCraven ·
    • Hide content

I've had two or three Weddings where the Man has taken her name... Deed Poll is always the answer but never creates an issue on the big day!

• septemberbride2011
    Beginner August 2011
    septemberbride2011 ·
    • Hide content

Such a nice idea to take his mums maiden name :-) mind you that depends on her surname (wouldn't like to be a Mrs Shufflebottom/Mycock/Cockroft or something lol!) My dad never bothered with me and can't wait to change my surname (when I got divorced I reverted back to my maiden name but didn't need deed poll as it was on my birth cert) I didn't want my old married name and don't like my maiden name but was the lesser of two evils!

I so can't wait to be a Mrs B (even though my new surname will be a little unusual!) x

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

You could also merge names, if the merged name is aesthetically-pleasing. (e.g. Johnson and Williams = Wilson etc)

I wanted to merge ours, but H2B told me flat-out no, he wouldn't even consider changing. I'm happy to be a Mrs J, although I'd have preferred merging, and almost everything about this wedding is my choice so I let him have his way

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

Personally, I can't see any reason why a marriage certificate can not be used as evidence of change of name of either bride or groom.

What people are looking for these days is a 'trail' of someone's identity and a marriage certificate would show that. I certainly wouldn't always rely on a solicitor's advice as i have recently come across 2 horrendous pieces of advice from solicitors.

Legally, in this country, you can just change your name 'by usage'. This means that if you use a name for a lengthy period that then becomes your legal name. Problem is, not a lot of individuals/companies realise this and think you have to prove it. People like the IPS have decided that for passport purposes they will insist on some sort of evidence.

In my job I would accept a marriage certificate as evidence.

Oh, and as far as double-barrelled surnames are concerned, they seem to be used more these days by couples naming their new baby when they aren't married. eg Baby Smith-Jones to Father Jones and Mother Smith!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics