Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner October 2015

Groom has fallen in love with a bright blue suit - help!!

DiscoCat, 9 of August of 2015 at 08:48 Posted on Planning 0 23

Hello everyone

I am getting married at the end of October to my wonderful fiancé whom I have been madly in love with for the last 33 years.

We are having a very small wedding for 25 guests at a beautiful local Manor House and up until now our colour scheme has been muted golds, Browns and greens to go with our autumn theme. The ceremony and reception room is quite small with dark wood paneling, gold carpet and gold and brown chairs.

The problem is this .... My fiancé has fallen passionately, head over heels in love with a bright blue tweed suit. I have NEVER seen him like this before, he adores it to the point of obsession!! I have suggested the same suit in other less clashing colours but no. It has to be royal blue!!

The problem is that it's a very understated, muted room and he is a very tall guy. When people walk in to the room all they are going to see is his suit!! It clashes with absolutely everything!! From the walls, to the curtains, to the carpet!!

i really can't bring myself to come between him and his suit so does anyone have any ideas about how I could change the colour scheme to make it fit in more?

Do gold and royal blue go together? Is Royal Blue a step too far for a small dark wood panelled room?? Should I just let him marry his suit??

Our wedding is on October 30th so I need to act fast!

23 replies

Latest activity by HelenSomerset, 10 of August of 2015 at 06:40
  • Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

Yeah royal blue and gold go together.

I would say it's his choice - its unlikely he had a choice in your dress so just roll with it.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Ahh I agree roll with it. If it's an understated room at least you don't have two very bright colours competing.

• Runnergirl
    Beginner November 2015
    Runnergirl ·
    • Hide content

Tbh, I've never understood why the wedding party need to match the napkins. All people will notice is you and him, not if he clashes with the chair cover. I love that he is super excited about a suit, most men just go with flow. Have a lovely day and stop stressing.x

• J
    Beginner June 2016
    Jade8 ·
    • Hide content

The way I see it is that he is the groom so all eyes are going to be on him anyway whether he's wearing royal blue, black, grey, pink, whatever! Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things?

• Minna Rossi Photography
    Minna Rossi Photography ·
    • Hide content

Blue and gold do go together quite nicely Smiley smile I shot a wedding where the groom had chosen a deep turquoise suit (sounds terrible, but it looked amazing!)… x

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I think his suit should be OK. It's rare that the groom's suit matches anything. It's his tie that might match.

Do you have a photo of the suit, venue or other items you think will clash?

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Did you pick your own wedding dress? One that you loved?

Groom gets to do the same I'm afraid!

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

I think royal blue will look lovely with that colour scheme! I am biased though as my husband did wear a blue suit on our wedding day!

Would he wear the suit with brown shoes and belt and also a dark green waistcoat and possibly green and gold tie? I think that combination would be very stylish. You could also introduce some small royal blue accents to tie it all in if you wanted (accessories, napkins on tables, ribbons for decorating) but you wouldn't really need to.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Aaw, your set up sounds quite similar to mine Smiley smile my now hubby and I had been school sweethearts then had our lives and met up again 30+ years later. We had a small do with vintage shades of pink, Ivory and crystal with silver accents. Tbh I didn't give the venue colours a second thought, but there wasn't a clash. When it came to his suit, he said he wanted it to be a surprise and tbh why not, we choose our dress and it is a big secret so why shouldn't they get to choose their suit.

Oh then asked me to help. He decided he wanted a Ted Baker suit and fell in love with a bright blue checked suit. I was gobsmacked. He normally goes for much more muted colours. He adored the suit the suit and so so wanted it, who was I to say no, it won't match. The reality is your guests will be wearing different colours and people really don't look and think, ooh that's the wrong shade of pink, or blimey the grooms suit doesn't go with the chairs.

Let him have his moment. It's his wedding too and he deserves to be just as happy in his outfit as you.

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

Leave the colour scheme as it is, and of course he should get the suit. If he's happy, you should be happy for him. Not everything has to match! Smiley smile

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Yep, I agree, buy the suit! Let's be honest, they don't always get a lot of input in colours and clothes, if he loves it he should wear it

• D
    Beginner October 2015
    DiscoCat ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all so much for your replies!

To make it clear, I have no intentions of asking him to change his suit, I love that he is so enthusiastic about it!! I just wondered if there were any tweaks I could make to the colour scheme so that he wouldn't clash (this is a VERY bright suit!).

What I've thought about doing is adding some blue brooches to my brooch bouquet and perhaps wearing blue wedding shoes (I seen some lovely irregular choice ones).

P.S. We're very non traditional and my fiancé did help me to choose my dress :-)

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

To be honest nobody will notice if he will clash with the room. I'm pretty sure some guests that will wear things that may also clash.

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

That sounds lovely Discocat.

I would be tempted to tell all the guests on the day that your husband (to be) is your lucky "something blue".

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

My husband had a burgundy suit as did his best man ?

I think blue and gold will go together beautifully but if not, but adding some blue touches in here and there will tie it all together.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I want to see this suit. Do you have a pic you can flash OP? For any radio 1 listeners, it sounds quite similar in colour to the suit Scott mills made Chris stark wear to Wimbledon. Jazzy.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I'd love to see it too. Blue and gold is a great combination, how far along with everything are you, e.g. bridesmaids if you have them, table decor etc? I definitely wouldn't worry too much about clashing with the room, you're the stars of the show!

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I think adding royal blue brooches to your bouquet and the bridesmaid bouquets are a good idea. What are the groomsmen wearing?

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Honestly, I wouldn't change anything. You really don't need to. Xx

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Blue shoes for you to match his shoes sounds lovely. Sucker for blue shoes.

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

I think adding a blue brooch and blue shoes to your outfit is a great idea!

• BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content

I think it will all fit together perfectly. The idea of a few royal blue highlights elsewhere sounds lovely.

Whoever suggested introducing H2B as your Lucky Something Blue has a wonderful idea. I love cheese. Smiley laugh

• J
    Beginner June 2016
    Jade8 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't know what's come over me today but that brought a tear to my eye!!

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

Ha ha! I love a cheesy line!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics