Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner June 2012

Groom's father..

l6ah, 4 October, 2011 at 21:07 Posted on Planning 0 16

Hey! Im new to this web site! looking forward to looking around Smiley smile

Im getting married in the dominican Republic June 2012..

I have a quick question, does the father of the groom wear the same as the groom, best man, and my dad??

My Oh's mums BOYFRIEND is saying he should wear the same (his real dad isnt coming) but as we are getting married abroad, his mums bf will just be sat with all our other guests...so should he be wearing the same?????

Hope someone can help

Leah

16 replies

Latest activity by MacyLil, 6 October, 2011 at 11:54
  • Tracy2012
    Beginner June 2012
    Tracy2012 ·
    • Hide content

In a word no.

The only people that wear matching suits are the groom, best man, father of bride, ushers and possibly page-boys. Everyone else wears their own clothes.

• L
    Beginner June 2012
    l6ah ·
    • Hide content

This was my thoughts too! Thank you!

• princesssaraht
    Beginner December 2012
    princesssaraht ·
    • Hide content

My dad, OH dad, ushers, best man and groom are all wearing the same suit, but with you going abroad you could just suggest he wears his own clothes as it may be a bit hot to be in a full suit!

• kittykat9/9
    Beginner October 2011
    kittykat9/9 ·
    • Hide content

My now FIL wore the same hire suit as my dad, usher and BM and my husband wore a different suit altogether and it all looked fine. My OH wanted his dad to feel part of the bridal party and as the suits were his priority I was happy to go along with whatever he decided. If this guy is the boyfriend of your future MIL and not your FIL or stepFIL then I think it is perfectly reasonable to not have him in the same suit but I'd leave it to your OH to deal with - it is his side of the family and if he feels particularly close to this guy and he has been around for years then he ight feel differently. We had corsages/buttonholes for all immediate family which included my mum and dad's OH's and my only sister's husband so that they were marked out in this way - perhaps you could do something similar if you are having flowers for the menfolk which will probably be cheaper and more subtle than a whole suit

• vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content

It won't look out of place if he does wear the same so as kittykat has said, if OH wants him to feel more a part of the bridal party then go for it. i would see this as oh's decision.

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

I disagree with comments saying no the grooms father should not.

He is part of the wedding party and if my OHs dad were alive he would definately be wearing the same kilt outfit as his sons etc,

However as this is your OHs mums boyfriend not his dad, the fact of him being in the wedding party is debatable and therefore I'd say no.

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS. There was no way I would have had my dad in a matching suit to H and his BM and not had my FIL dressed the same. I have never been to a wedding where the grooms father was notdressed in matching atire to the rest of the male wedding party either. He is as important as the FoB! As for your OHs mums boyfriend, I guess it would depend on how close your OH is to hi as to whether he should have the same suit. You could just give him a button hole? We gave button holes to all of our family members that were not BMs/Ushers/etc.

• skyrocket
    Beginner July 2012
    skyrocket ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WTS

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

I had all the men in the same suits, in fact I had 22 of them in the same suit!

The Groom & Best man had different coloured flowers and waistcoats, cravats.

• L
    Beginner June 2012
    l6ah ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all of your opinions!

They have been together for about 7 years?! since OH was a teenager.. I think i wiill leave it down to him to decide... it prob doesnt help that i cant stand the guy lol!

We are doing button holes for the rest of the family.. so will go along with this, and not mention it for the time being!

What also bugged me was the bf said " if i am allowed to wear the same as them, i will by BIL's suit too..." but nothing about buying the grooms! just OH's brothers! They are also paying for BIL flights to get to our wedding, but are not contributing to the wedding in any way atm...

This was AFTER slagging off what my grooomsmen are wearing...

• xtine88xx
    Beginner September 2012
    xtine88xx ·
    • Hide content

I have my dad and step-dad coming to our wedding - both will be in the same navy blue suits as my OH, BM and Ushers.

OH's Dad is having one too - I think it would look a little strange if everyone was in matching navy suits apart from my stepdad or OH's dad and it will show that they are a part of the wedding party.

We are only getting button holes for the people in the wedding party but might get OH and best man and maybe my dad slightly different ones so they stand out - not really thought of that so far.

The only suits we will be paying for are OHs and Best Mans and one usher (other usher is insisting on paying for his own) parents/step-parents are getting their own if they wish to match. Maybe suggest that if they want a matching suit then that's fine but he can order his own? See what happens then?

• BespokeTailor
    BespokeTailor ·
    • Hide content

I don't know if it really helps, but most couples who come to my shop tend to include the FOG now. They never used to but it seems that most people like to include him in the whole suit thing.

At my own wedding we all wore our own suits, I made my Dads for him, which was bit daunting considering he was a tailor for 40 years. ?

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

From past experience groom, best man, ushers and BOTH fathers wear the same outfit. However, if your OH's mum's boyfriend isn't that close to him then no i wouldn't put him in the same outfit.

• caweena
    Beginner
    caweena ·
    • Hide content

It's one of those contentious questions here on hitched. My answer would, in this case, be that seeing as you do not intend him to be part of the bridal party and he's 'just a normal guest' that he probably shouldn't expect to wear the same suit as everyone else. But sometimes it's easier to give in to these 'little' requests (think of it as he'll pay for his own - no cost to you, and future BILs - less cost for you. Bonus!!) than to risk upsetting MIL2B over something which essentially makes little difference to the day. Give in here and maybe you can win another mini-battle that means more to you later on in the planning?

• MacyLil
    MacyLil ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What a fantastic idea Sherrie!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics