Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

skinnyboyweddings

Groom's shoes.

skinnyboyweddings, 6 of August of 2013 at 12:47 Posted on Planning 0 10

Am hoping someone on here might be able to point me in the right direction...

My little brother is getting married at the end of the year and we're planning a shopping trip this Saturday to look for his shoes. Does anyone have any recommendations for good shoe stores in London?

Thanks in advance Smiley smile

10 replies

Latest activity by skinnyboyweddings, 10 of August of 2013 at 18:23
  • *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Depends on what you're after and budget.

I'd reccomend going to a department store like Selfridges or Harvy Nichols etc as that way there's more than one shop under one roof.

If budget is lower then pop to Oxford Street or Westfield and look in places like ALDO as they also do a good range.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

^^^This^^^ Plus Harrods and Liberty if you have a healthy budget.

More mid range Kurt Gieger, Debenhams, House of Fraiser etc!

• skinnyboyweddings
    skinnyboyweddings ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the suggestions. Selfridges is definitely on the list and we'll hit all the usual suspects too, but I'm wondering if there might be a fab independent store that I haven't thought of?! His budget is around £200 and I've added a couple of his pins from
    Pinterest to give you an idea of his style.

Thanks again!

• skinnyboyweddings
    skinnyboyweddings ·
    • Hide content

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Maybe some nice Brogues from John Lewis or Kurt Geiger? Sorry, not sure what stores are in London but with a budget similar to yours my OH is looking at Brogues Smiley smile

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Kurt Geiger- yes!

I love KG & they're affordable but nicer than your average.

• B
    Beginner July 2013
    bellaZ ·
    • Hide content

If it's a classic black brogue he's after, he can't go wrong with either Church's or Loake's. Should be available from Debenhams, John Lewis, House of Fraser.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

This is my H (who knows more about shoes than me!):

For classic shoes around £200 I'd go for Crockett & Jones or Church's. They both have stores in the Royal Arcade by Bank, though since my parents live in Northampton (where they're both made) I tend to buy them from the factory shop. They're far better quality than anything you'll get from Harrods or Harvey Nicks at that price. I wore a pair of Church's monks for the day part of my wedding (changing to patent dinner shoes to go with black tie in the evening).

Loake, Jones and Barker are pretty good to look at if he wants to spend a little less. I think C&J and Church's are worth the extra - I have pairs of both and there is definitely a difference in quality - but not everybody likes shoes as much as I do! Kurt Geiger are nicely designed, but I've never been impressed by the quality.

For a wedding I think the style may be more important than the make. For a daytime wedding, especially if spending a fair bit of money, I'd go for something formal and classic that will stand the test of time - Oxfords probably, but monks, wholecuts or something else classic and formal in a matt finish (often calf leather if from C&J or Church's) seem good. I'd steer clear of anything shiny, and personally wouldn't go for Derbys as they're a bit less formal (Derbys open below the laces) but that's just my personal taste. Brogues or not doesn't matter too much, they seem to be in fashion but they're just as classic as plainer shoes.

Hope this helps!

• skinnyboyweddings
    skinnyboyweddings ·
    • Hide content

Huge thanks for all your suggestions! I've compiled a huge list for him and he's thinking brogues might be the way to go.

Wow, amazing shoe knowledge from your OH Helenia! Please can you pass on a massive thank you from us Smiley smile. Friends of ours in Northampton had also suggested Church's outlet, but we thought we'd start in London then plan a trip there if we had no joy.

Thanks again x

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

My husband wore some gorgeous blue brogues. I vote brogues Smiley smile

• skinnyboyweddings
    skinnyboyweddings ·
    • Hide content

W

We had a successful day and he found a perfect pair of handmade shoes; a happy groom to be! Thanks again for your help!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics