Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Groomsman or Usher

30 October, 2012 at 23:44 Posted on Planning 0 6

We are not having any ushers except for one which we termed as Groomsman.

At the last minute (this is OH responsiblity so when else would it be?) OH was buying cufflinks for the Best Man and Groomsman tonight but instead of Groomsman has bought Usher and is now panicking as when asked what his mate was, I said he was Groomsman in the Order of Service.

To me, there is no real difference, but OH has now gone and bought another pair of cufflinks with Groomsman

So was wondering, what is really the difference. I just assumed that the Groomsman was either the senior usher or the single usher when there was no other ushers.

6 replies

Latest activity by Agouti, 31 October, 2012 at 09:18
  • Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I always thought that "Groomsman" was an American import. You know how in US weddings (on TV at least!) they have the bridesmaids standing in a line behind the bride and groomsmen in a line on the other side? I think that's what they mean by "standing up with the groom."

Over here, I think it's pretty interchangeable. Though we called ours ushers as one was a girl so groomsmen wouldn't work.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Same as Helenia, I just always thought Groomsman was the Americanism.

• ellebob
    Beginner February 2013
    ellebob ·
    • Hide content

I'd never heard the term before coming on forums but then I assumed it was a collective term for best man and ushers. As noone seems to be that sure what it means I guess it doesn't matter!

• Agouti
    Beginner September 2013
    Agouti ·
    • Hide content

I always thought Groomsmen were just the American name for Ushers?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics