Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2013

Groom-to-be doesn't have anybody to be his best man

suebanana, 20 August, 2012 at 20:54 Posted on Planning 0 11

....so firstly i feel bad that he doesn't have anybody that he wants to be his b.man and I really wish he had somebody he feels he could rely on (his brother is not an option btw before anybody suggests family members step in!), although there is one mate he was 'close' (some guys just don't get close to people do they) to a couple of years ago but they only keep in touch intermittently now and he doesn't feel it's appropriate to ask him which is a shame.

ANybody else bucking a trend and not having a best man? I've only just managed to talk him into doing a speech himself - he hates speaking in public as most people do, but I do want some traditionalism to the whole thing, and at his last wedding (he's divorced) he didn't do speeches at all of any kind and didn't have a dj. !

Just wondering how common this is!!

11 replies

Latest activity by unexpectedpenny, 22 August, 2012 at 11:34
  • VIvixen
    Beginner December 2012
    VIvixen ·
    • Hide content

I am in the same position as you. OH doesn't have any one to be a best man, and doesn't want to do a speach!

• **Shelley**
    Beginner October 2012
    **Shelley** ·
    • Hide content

Mine hasn't either. My brother and brother-in-law will be there for him though. Don't let it worry you. X

• Strawberryqt
    Beginner August 2014
    Strawberryqt ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear he's having a hard time with deciding whether to have a best man or not.

If his brother is not an option, would has dad be perhaps? Or is family a complete no go?

If he doesn't end up having a best man and doesn't want to do a speech... it may be up to you and mum. Smiley smile

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

My other half struggled with this also and he has now asked a mate to do the job-he had felt that he should ask his brother as he was his best man.

• Zoomo13
    Beginner August 2015
    Zoomo13 ·
    • Hide content

I would say its better to have no one as best man than clearly have someone where it looks awkward, my OH couldnt decide between his 2 best friends so we are ending up with 2 best men. also nowadays it doesnt even have to be a best man it could be a best women. ?

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

He can have one of OHs is he likes?! OH is having two as one of his friends felt a bit put out that he wasn't asked and hinted that OH could have two.... I am not very keen on one of them so more than happy for you to have him!

in all seriousness, I don't think it matters.

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content

My H didn't have a best man. He isn't particularly close to any of his mates, and as we were having a ring bearer (pageboy) there seemed little point in having a BM just for the sake of it...so we didn't bother.

• C
    Beginner September 2013
    Caraboo ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it matters at all, but before you discount it completely, has he considered having a Best Woman? If there's any girl that could fill the role? My sister's H had a Best Woman at their wedding. It was really cool!

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

I don't have one either.

I must admit though, it's not something that bothers me.

• rainbowbride
    Beginner October 2014
    rainbowbride ·
    • Hide content

I dont think it matters these days weddings dont have to follow the tradition, dont feel bad some men just dont have a close relationship with others and family cant always be relied upon. Whatever is decided you will have a beautiful day x

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So who is going to make sure that you are ready for the photographer???????

As a serious point though, they are not 100% necessary. Some brides don't have bridesmaids either....

Peter

• unexpectedpenny
    Beginner January 2013
    unexpectedpenny ·
    • Hide content

I'm not having bridesmaids and OH isn't having a best man so it doesnt matter!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics