Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Pugsley*
Beginner March 2014

Grown apart from bridesmaid

*Pugsley*, 19 of August of 2013 at 08:45 Posted on Planning 0 12

Over the past few weeks/months I have really grown part from one of my BMs (I have two).

She's disinterested in anything I do, not just wedding related things. Doesn't answer my messages even though I know she's either read them or seen the missed call. And yet when it's something she wants she will reply straight away.

Shes not just like this with me, she's become like this with pretty much all the other girls in our friendship circle. We always knew she was a bit on the selfish side but recently it has got to the point where I am so fed up with it. I organised a photo book for another friend who is getting married in a couple of weeks and asked all the girls to send me a message which I'll type up and put in there, everyone did it except her and she is the girl who is getting married's oldest friend. And then when the book was given to my friend all she did was moan about the pictures that were put in there as there were some old ones she didn't like.

She has said she can't afford my hen weekend even though she knew it was coming and was involved with the planning as she's a BM! (Although both mine and my other BMs calls/texts went unanswered she had plenty of chances to say she couldn't afford it) as she had gone out and bought a new car on a whim the weekend before we were asking people for money. But then she called me the weekend after telling me that she was buying a new outfit complete with new makeup for dinner with all the girls that evening.... The one time she calls and it's to tell me she's spending money she told me the week before she didn't have for my hen weekend. And she must have spend at least the £70 we had asked for.... I think this might be my first bridezilla moment!!

There are more things but I won't go in to them as this will end up a longer and rantier post. I just can't decide what is best.

Shall I have a quiet word with her knowing she will think I am completely in the wrong (just as she did to the last friend who tried to talk to her about how she behaves) or do I like it and lump it for an easy life and then after my wedding just stop making any effort too (she never contacts me to see how I am and my texts go in answered, she only calls if she wants something)??

12 replies

Latest activity by LEN11212, 20 of August of 2013 at 08:19
  • adgabe
    adgabe ·
    • Hide content

Hi Pugsley,

I am sorry that your relationship with you BM is becoming quite distant...

Not being in possession of all the facts, but hearing your side of the story as the bride, I can only say that if I was in your position I would have to speak openly and frankly with the BM (but nicely, of course) and ask whether she still wishes to be part of the wedding party.

I assume that, if you asked her to be BM, you had a close relationship before all this?If so, there may be a number of reasons why she is acting in this manner and it may be better to find out now.

Just imagine... If you are feeling this stressed with her now, what will it be like on the day (and building up to it) if you just let it continue?

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you all the best!

Andrea de Gabriel.

• S
    Beginner December 2014
    Soontobe_mrsG ·
    • Hide content

Can you have a quiet word with her, see what she's up against ? Lots of people spend money on things they don't need when they arent in a position to do do, but it might be easier to use credit for a car/dress whereas a hen night probably needs real hard cash? O

Would also be hurt/upset, but there may be a reason, and you do know that this isn't personal to you as your other friends have also seen a change in her.

But if you do talk to her, do it face to face, or at worst a call. Don't email or text or Facebook. It'll go horribly wrong if you do, as it's far to easy to rad the wrong tone /intent to what's meant.

Hope it all works out ok

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HundredMonkeys ·
    • Hide content

I guess you have to really think about whether you still want her as a friend. I have seen this happen a lot to my friends as we've got older; one person in the group distances herself from everyone, doesn't come out for nights out, etc, doesn't reply to texts or calls, the usual behaviour...sometimes they just don't realise they are being like that and other times it is deliberate as they are just moving in life and feel they want new friends (thus has actually happened in our group). So I guess you have to ask yourself if you really want this person in your life anymore, it seems they aren't bothered whether you are in theirs or not. From experience of this, I would try and talk to get and if it doesn't work (sounds as though it won't...) I would just leave her to it. Don't bother with trying to keep in touch and don't have her as bridesmaid. It sounds harsh but sometimes people don't realise the consequences of their behaviour until things change. If it is making you upset then I would just deal with it head on. Life is too short to allow people to treat you badly. Part of me thought (when reading your post) that perhaps she might not be very well (depression?) but you will only know if you try and speak to her. If talking only results in her being angry then I would just walk away.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your replies.

She's never been in a 'real' relationship or had a proper boyfriend and genuinely does not appear to want a boyfriend. I did wonder whether she feels a bit detached from all of us as we are all but one (who very recently came out of a long term relationship) settled and either married, engaged or living as though married. But I'd like to point out that we have never in my opinion made her feel like the odd one out or anything like that and don't often do coupley things so I don't think this is the issue.

I think what I'll do is ask her casually if anything is ok and mention how she has been and see what her reaction is. I'll also ask whether I have done anything personally which may have upset her unknowingly.

I'm sadly at the point where I feel like giving up as it's not a 2 way friendship and hasn't been for a while. One of the other girls in the group has basically washed her hands of her and only sees her when we go out as a group for the same reasons I feel like giving up.

My concern is that by asking her not to be a BM anymore it will damage any friendship which may be there and I would also not like it to be awkward for the other girls which it could end up being..... there was another girl who we all used to be very friendly who stood up to this girl once years ago as my bm did something pretty nasty/selfish and couldn't see that she was in the wrong. Although we all tried to stay out of it as much as possible (although I did try telling bm what she did wasn't nice... she had a one night stand with the other girl's ex who she was clearly still in love with) and we tried to stay friends with the other girl we don't see her anymore.

I just wish she would listen to what so many people down the line have said to her (I know of 3 people who've sat her down and told her she is selfish, in her own little bubble and is only out for herself) as I think she will end up losing more and more friends over the years for the same reason.

I also wish I hadn't chosen her as BM and had realised sooner what she's like. More fool me. ☹️

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Bridezilla moment may have been justified. I think one of the girls hear said it best that she maybe feeling awkward with friends marrying off. I'd put her to side one in my mind and move on, you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink. Sorry your dealing with this situation, its not pleasant.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Elixia.

I spoke to my other bm (who has already given up) and she said she thinks the best thing is to ignore her and deal with it later as she can see the stress dealing with a fall out would be a lot to cope with before the wedding.

Obviously if something is staring me in the face or crops up I'll deal with it otherwise I'll leave her to it. For now i'll just distance myself a bit and see what happens.

• M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content

Everyone had given you great advice, - I can't add anymore!

But just wanted to say I am thinking about you, not a nice thing to go through. I am glad you have a supportive BM though

x

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I think giving her some distance and leaving her to make a few moves as someone else mentioned would be the step I would take. Some people when they are asked to be bridesmaids initially find it exciting that they've been asked and will be wearing a fabulous dress and 'glammed up' for the day but also find it hard to cope with the fact that they won't be the centre of attraction. A lot of women hate this and don't like the idea of being upstaged by someone else. If she is a person who tends to be on the selfish side, then this may be part of the problem.

Others, like your other bridesmaid, look upon it as an honour that they can be part of your day in a special way and support you as a true friend on what is one of the most important days of your life.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Is she unwell, mentally or physically? Could she have some sort of stress going on in her life that you're not aware of - family/financial/work/other? What you're describing is ringing a few warning bells for me.

People don't usually just drop off the radar like this for no reason. Making unwise spending decisions can be a symptom of something else and isn't always just selfish/thoughtless. It is sad that she's made you feel this way to the extent you're considering dropping her as a BM, but I wouldn't want to write off your whole friendship just yet. Try to get together with her for a proper chat, not a confrontation, doesn't even have to be about the wedding stuff as you've still got plenty of time, and work out what's going on with her.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Thanks again for your replies.

I did wonder if something is really wrong but I don't think she's hiding anything & we are usually an open group who share our problems & pick up on each others.

As she has always been a bit selfish for all the years I've known her the only thing I can think of is that as we haw got older she just finds me boring now I'm settled down and don't go out drinking as much which is all she does. Or if we do go out my idea of a night out is a bit different to hers now.

I definitely don't want to write off the friendship, I just feel exhausted by her behaviour and having to do whatever she wants or risk her sulking.

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEN11212 ·
    • Hide content

If this has only happened over the last few weeks/months then maybe something has happened in her life that she is struggling with and she just doesn't want to talk about it. A close friend of mine distanced herself for our friendship group when she was made redundant, when she finally spoke to us about it she told us she'd felt like such a failure compared to the rest of us and that coupled with the financial implications really got her down and she just hid herself away for a while. We all felt really bad when she's finally opened up to us as we'd all had a good moan about what a rubbish friend she was being, turns out it was us who had let her down when she needed us.

If you are really sure that there's is nothing stressful going on in her life then I would just try and ignore it and not get you down. At the end of the day she's missing out on having fun times with her friends and that's her loss.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics