Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner October 2022 Essex

Guest didn’t give a gift, should we say anything?

Dean, 11 of October of 2022 at 17:37 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 8
Hi all… so we got married on 1st - the day was fab (couldn’t have gone any better). We loved it and our guests did too. After the event and we’re now preparing thank you cards for everyone, everyone except 1 guest who didn’t give a gift. I know that you don’t invite in order to receive but my wife is pretty p’d off with this one person and wanted to say something to them. I’m not so sure… what’s the general feeling

8 replies

Latest activity by JamesCef, 9 of November of 2022 at 14:35
  • Jane
    Dedicated June 2022 Bristol
    Jane ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! Hope married life has started well.
    Not everyone who came to our wedding gave us a gift - we’ve just focused on the generosity of those who did (and did not send cards to those who didn’t give us anything). Only people who we think genuinely forgot are my brother and his wife (who are always crazy busy and bday presents etc are usually late!). My new father in law didn’t give us anything and we called him out on it but he ignored our text (and is known for being tight!)Id say that it really depends who the guest is but many people are struggling financially atm and they might just not have felt able to give anything - isn’t their presence at your wedding more important than anything else? After all, a wedding isn’t about the gifts. Good luck!
  • D
    Beginner October 2022 Essex
    Dean ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Jane and yes married life is awesome!

As I said in my original message we didn’t invite people in order to receive a gift. That was never even a thought in our mind when we invited everyone. It’s just that this one person is (meant to be) a close friend of my wife and yet you’d never have known it. Not even a congratulations to either of us at any point on the day and not even a goodbye when she left. Yes she could have issues at home that she is dealing with but it was almost like she just didn’t want to be there celebrating with us - so even her presence on the day was a bit lacking as well really - we’ll just not send her a thank you card and leave it at that
  • Lea
    Rockstar July 2023 Kent
    Lea ·
    • Hide content

Hi Dean,

Congratulations! I agree with Jane. Best not to say anything and just send a thank you card for attendance at your wedding. Like you said you invite guests to be with you at your wedding but not to receive gifts. Although I must say it's rude of them not to even to congratulate you and say goodbye.

• Jane
    Dedicated June 2022 Bristol
    Jane ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Id continue to focus on the good although that does sound odd and pretty rude. Maybe something to broach as more of a “is everything ok” rather than “where is our gift” conversation (not that you’d be that blunt but hopefully you get my drift).
  • H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't mention the no gift to her but I agree with Lea and think you should still send a thank you card for her presence on the day.

• E
    Dedicated October 2022 East London
    Ebony ·
    • Hide content
    We had a relative who didn't gift us but came and several people who didn't come and who we don't know (MIL cancer survivor friends) gift us quite generously. We sent relevant thank you cards to everyone but didn't day anything to the person who didnt gift us. People are funny and we don't know why they didn't gift us but we weren't gonna let it spoil what was a perfect day for us.
  • Georgina
    Curious August 2022 East London
    Georgina ·
    • Hide content
    I wouldn’t mention it. Weddings are expensive for the couple and for those attending. If you weren’t expecting a gift then why say anything at all. If her behaviour was what you’re unhappy about then perhaps your wife (who is the close friend) can mention she felt something was off on the day and ask if the friend is alright. A couple of friends came to my wedding and didn’t give a gift, I’m just happy they came to celebrate with us.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I certainly wouldn't mention the lack of gift.

This person is supposed to be a close friend and yet didn't congratulate you or even seem like she wanted to be at the wedding?

Either she is not the close friend your wife thinks she is, or she is going through something major in her life that is affecting her ability to behave normally. Is this person really a close friend, (i.e. has she acted like one in the past). If she isn't, then your wife might want to rethink her definition of friendship and gradually fade this friendship in favour of some real ones. But if the 'close friend' has been a good mate until recently, that suggests she has something major going on in her life that she hasn't felt able to share - in which case, I'd suggest your wife give her a call to check how she is doing. Sometimes, we can be reluctant to share tough stuff with even close friends.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics