Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner May 2018

Guest entertainment for afternoon weddings

Willowdragon1988, 25 of January of 2016 at 21:55 Posted on Planning 0 7

So here's my visualisation: marquee on the lawn of a stately home, wedding ceremony starts at 2pm, the event ends at 8pm (this is according to the venue wedding planners). They provide a violin to play you down the aisle, it's there for one hour. Following the ceremony is champagne, canapés, tea and cake on the lawn/ in the marquee. Two questions:

1. Is it reasonable to ONLY have a string quarter for the afternoon (3-8pm), or should I look into a dj too? H2B and I, plus a lot of our guests, are fans of classical music, but a large part of my family think music only exists in the form of a dj, but I am not fond of modern music (unless it's country). Also given the scenario, classical fits, but does it fit all day?

2: Also, can you even have a dj booth in a marquee in a field? (the good news is I have a free dj in the form of my stepdad, who has offered).

On another note, what are your favourite/recommended songs to add to a playlist for a string quartet?

7 replies

Latest activity by Karen84, 28 of January of 2016 at 13:20
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Sounds lovely. I walked down the aisle to Elvis can't help falling love with you by string quartet.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

It's normal for a dj not to start until the evening do. But you can do whatever you like really.

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

If your wedding finishes at 8pm, then you probably don't need a DJ. That said, 5hrs seems to be a long time for tea and cake. Have you thought about providing lawn games as an alternative to a DJ?

In terms of suggestions for a string quartet, I love Au fond du temple saint, although if it were played during your ceremony it would probably be best to refer to it as the Pearlfishers' Duet to avoid any issues around religious connotations. If your family like modern music, you could ask the string quartet to play some versions of modern songs. I went to a party last year where a string quartet played the theme songs to Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jurassic Park, and Star Wars.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I don't think you need a dj either but what about some taped music type. I can't see the quartet playing 5 hours without a break etc. Lawn games are a good idea.

• W
    Beginner May 2018
    Willowdragon1988 ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I like the idea of lawn games. I don't really want a DJ, I just felt realistically I should cater for non-classical tastes too.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

A modern song played instrumental by string quartet also sounds good. It doesn't have to be all classical. Check out you tube David Garrett for example doing smooth criminal and theme from jurrasic park.

• The Wedding Singer
    The Wedding Singer ·
    • Hide content

Whilst they would be fantastic for the ceremony and maybe earlier part of your drinks reception - especially for the classical music lovers. I'm not sure a string quartet would be available to play for 6 hours.

How about some more lively live music for when the string quartet finish? I'm a singer and do a really popular Daytime Package, see this video for what I can do for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mZOpPTTHC8

(To hear me sing, head over to my web site - https://theweddingsinger.uk.com/)! It could be as low key or as lively as your wish...

James

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

Sticking with your classical theme, but with a mainstream twist you could check out Vitamin String Quartet. They do string versions of modern songs. We plan to have some of their songs playing in the background during the meal.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics