Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kat44
Beginner August 2011

Guest invite headache!

Kat44, 5 April, 2011 at 23:00 Posted on Planning 0 4

With our venue, we have a package deal with a set number of guests to the wedding breakfast. With this in mind, we carefully chose our guest list with our closest family and friends, deciding to limit child invites to evening only (except for bridal party) and we were happy that we had invited everyone we loved the most.

We sent our invites out (still have a couple of weeks to reply) to our day guests only but so far we have had 4 people say they can't make it, due to having problems with looking after their children. 2 are coming to the evening but 2 aren't coming at all. I have half a feeling that another guest is also going to decline, as whenever I've mentioned it, she just says nothing!

Anyway, we made the decision we would send day invites early so if anyone declined, we could 'bump' evening guests. The thing is, we're struggling to find ones that we want to bump! We are going to invite 2 family members so there's only 2 more places to fill but it's giving us a right headache! We're not close enough to any other family (christmas card type!) and wouldn't say any of our friends on our evening list are that close, really, either.

I know in theory all guests should be as important as each other, but in reality, my immediate family and bestest mates are more important to us than friends we see a couple of times per year or family we only see at weddings and funerals! (is that bad??) Hence the reasons for being on daytime or evening lists.

Guess I'm saying, has anyone else had to bump and how did you make the decision? Was it obvious or did you have the same problems as us that you just don't know who to ask?

4 replies

Latest activity by Kat44, 6 April, 2011 at 08:35
  • L
    Beginner October 2012
    listenwong ·
    • Hide content

Hi, i know the best wigs store, most of the pictures are taken from the real wigs made from them.

they also have large collection of designer wigs and you dont need to pay them at designer price.

i also purchased my wigs ($99) from that store http://www.thiswigs.com/,

just received the wigs! Guess what, they're gorgeous and comfortable fit. love it!

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content

We did. Had 2 of my OHs closest friends unable to come as it was the same time as their holiday (which had been planned for a while so couldn't be changed and we had given them short notice for the wedding!). I had the same issue about who to bump that I actually wanted- there were 2 of my friends but I am also close to their OHs so could not invite one couple and not the other! I'd invited 2 close family friends to the evening- used to spend most weekends with them as children but grew apart of the years. My parents still see them at least 4 times a year and are still close- so I have invited them to the day. I'm really happy to have them there, and I know my mum is chuffed that they are spending the whole day with us as they have to travel a couple of hours to get to us.

Is there anyone like that you could ask? I guess you can't invite children of the couple attending the evening only now either, as would be unfair to other guests...

• lizzie1982
    Beginner October 2011
    lizzie1982 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Could you not leave the day list as it is? If there is nobody else on the evening list you really want there in the day then I would just have 2 less. I know what you mean though, there are not really many people on my evening list that I would want to put on the day list if day people can't make it.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

I have 40 places for the day, and extra 50 for the evening. I have a reserve list of evening guests that I could bump up to daytime if I get some sapces, and a reserve list of people I can add at the last minute for the evening. But it is hard to decide who gets 'promoted' when you've so carefully chosen who you want there.

I joked about selling tickets last night on another (!) forum, and 3 people I wasn't going to invite said they'd pay to come a to a decent knees up!

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We can't really because we are paying for 50 so we need at least 50 adults otherwise we're not getting our moneys worth. Without these two extras we only have 48! Plus, pandering to my need to match, it means we get all tables with the same number of guests!

There are some family friends of my parents who we are inviting to the evening, but there's a group of about 10 of them so it would be unfair to invite two over the others! OH's family is almost non-existent so I asked MIL2B but she can't think of any of them any closer than the rest either!

You wouldn't think it would be so hard to choose 2 from a list of 50 would you?!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics