Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

kj82
Beginner December 2010

Guest list family problems....Please help me!!!!!!!!!!!

kj82, 10 June, 2010 at 19:50 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hello ladies, you got to help me Im tearing my hair out!

My dad is expecting me to invite his entire family. Now Ive offered a compromise and said I'll invite the ones I talk to (or would recognise in the street!) on facebook etc etc. However, he says (and I can see his point) I cant invite one uncle without inviting them all.......He has offered to pay towards catering but that isnt the biggest issue. The venue only holds 150 and we're already at 130 without any of his family and it'll add around 20 ppl just for one uncle and his brood. So I said we wont invite any of them and now my dads upset!!!! If i only invite a few, the rest of the family will take it out on him and treat him like poo, so....what do i do? Not changing venue and not taking anyone else off the list. I havent seen any of his family in years and as i said, i doubt they'd recognise me if they walked past me in the street. I dont want my dad to be upset if none of his family are there but i CANT invite them all and I dont want them to be off with him if i invite a few (they are a really competitive, shallow family!!!)

Help me please!!!!

13 replies

Latest activity by Storky, 9 March, 2011 at 09:33
  • P
    Beginner September 2010
    princess fantasia ·
    • Hide content

We had the same problem our numbers were 180 for the day, but now the rsvps are in and its 124 are yes's, remember not everyone will say yes.

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Are you inviting more people in the evening?

Can you not have aunts and uncles during the day and cousins in the evening?

• kj82
    Beginner December 2010
    kj82 ·
    • Hide content

Thankyou, I hadn't thought of that. But what if ebryone does come? Can i leave their invites til ive had everyone elses rsvps?? lol

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

what is it with Dad's having huge families!?? Aw well I'v a few cousins in Canada, who arent coming so that was them out. I also have some cousins who live a couple of hours away and I wasn't at any of their weddings, so again ppl ruled out. However My Dad's sister has 9 kids...most married or have a partner (those they change quite a bit), and V jealous of eachother! Well my mum and I decided that I would just invite the girls to the wedding with their hubbies. And if their BF isn't official, he aint comin!! So that cut things down to 8 People! Smiley smile Sorted! I have invited all the aunts and uncles tho!

I suggest you could do similar...what about inviting the uncles and aunts just. if there are 1 or 2 cousins you get on with...well you could invite them. But the ones you dont know...dont bother!!

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

I would sit down with your dad, shwo him your guests list and possibly where they come from, eg our friends, my work collegue, OH sister, OH aunt etc) so that he can see you are not being unreasonable saying he can have 20 people. Hopefully he will see that he can not have everyone there.

My OH has a massive family and we have turned fround and blatantly said that loads of them cant come, we are sorry but this is the wedding we want so tough. My Oh has 2 cousins he would like to come (out of 4) and both of them have kids, he is goign to phone both of them adn ask if they woudl like to come and explain that numbers are tight and if they come they come without their kids or not at all.

Good luck, hope it doesnt stress you out too much

• lamby
    Beginner August 2010
    lamby ·
    • Hide content

So difficult, really feel for you and your Dad - cos I know it's hard for him with family politics and all that jazz! But ultimately, it is your day - wish more people would remember that when they get funny about not being invited!

I have a big family on my mum's side with 40 cousins!! They are all older than me and when they got married started a sort of wedding policy because it is such a big brood, that when getting married, all aunts and uncles are invited but cousins aren't as it just isn't poss to accommodate them. Everyone has accepted it as cousins aren't usually that bothered - it tends to be the aunts and uncles that get offended - don't know if this is case - that they are the ones that would take issue with your Dad? (this is in my family anyway!) It works really well, then if there is a cousin or 2 that the bride is close to, they will get invited and everyone understands cos they're friends as well as cousins.

So we've done that and just invited 2 cousins out of the 40 and not had any complaints so far.... Even then though people can be cheeky - like my aunt never brings her husband (he just isn't interested in weddings!) and the other day her daugher - so my cousin - apparently said 'well I could come as your guest...' Er, no you can't! It's not a free for all, and my lovely mummy is a widow and has never tried to get me an invite to all of their weddings - some people are so cheeky!

Sorry for ramble but feel your pain! hope you get sorted x

• M
    Beginner October 2010
    mrsmiller2b ·
    • Hide content

I've got a similar problem, as we've got quite a big family. I've invited aunties and uncles to the day, then cousins and their partners and children to the evening. With a couple of exceptions, 3 cousins will be there during the day as 2 live a few hours away and aren't old enough to make their own way (13 & 17) and the other is helping my uncle do the photography.

This however hasn't been broken to my Nanna yet so no doubt she'll kick up a stink when she finds out!! x

• M
    Beginner August 2010
    Martyne ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I had a similar thing, I have a very big family, we had already decided we didnt want anymore than 75 in the day. We started doing our list and we included my H2b's family, my family and the relatives on my mums side and our friends that had to be there and then it dawned on me that I hadnt invited any family from my dads side....oops but i had invited our parents friends...

So what I have done is just invited family from my dads side to the evening. (there is only 10 of them)

I have explained to my parents that I obviously only had a certain amount of numbers and that i had to work out when doing the day guests who i would be really embarrassed to tell that they wasnt coming to the day. I also said that as i dont see his family very much by having them in the day it would mean that i couldnt have people to the day that i acutually wanted to be there out of choice rather than repsonsibility.

i do feel slightly bad but my venue is costing me a fortune and i have got to do what is right for me and h2b.

So in a nutshell forget about pleasing everyone and just please yourselves and invite the people that you want or would be too embarrassed not too!!!

lol

Martyne xx

• W
    weddingjourno ·
    • Hide content

Hi kj82,

My name is Lynn Enright and I'm writing a newspaper article on the subject of drawing up a guest list and the family politics that come in to play when planning a wedding. I'd love to hear how you got on in the end - both positive and negative. You can email me on ***********@*******.***.

Thanks,

Lynn

• rachieb13782
    Beginner August 2011
    rachieb13782 ·
    • Hide content

Ive put my foot down and have only invited 1 auntie and 3 cousins from my mums side of the family as there the only ones i see. im not inviting any more as i never see them. They will not be happy but why invite them if i haven't seen them for like 5 years!!!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Argh, I hate bumped old threads!

• SamSam
    Beginner March 2011
    SamSam ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me too ?

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

My word, SamSam, 3 DAYS?! That's crazy, eeeeekk!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics