Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2017

Guest list help!

SurreyBridetoBe, 2 of August of 2016 at 13:29 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi everyone!

I got engaged last month so have just started the whole planning process with my fiance. We have drawn up a provisional wedding guest list, but while I have quite a small family (less than 20 in total), he has over 60 family members, most of whom he only sees at weddings and funerals, and some of whom he doesn't even know. Our reception guest list is now mostly made up of his family, as we can't afford to have more than 100 guests for the wedding breakfast..

His mother keeps remembering other family members (most of whom I've not met, or only met once) who also need to come, and with their partners and children (and, in one case 6 step-children!) the list keeps growing and growing, although she is understanding to our problem. She has now suggested that a solution is to exclude all his cousins and their partners and children from the reception, inviting them as evening guests only. She did say though that we will never please everybody and some people will be offended by this.

What do you all think? Has anyone had to deal with a similar dilemma as well before? Would it be acceptable for us to only invite some of the family to the evening, while inviting others to the whole day? Thanks for any help!!

4 replies

Latest activity by BuryBride, 6 of August of 2016 at 11:11
  • It Must Be Love Wedding Photography
    It Must Be Love Wedding Photography ·
    • Hide content

Hi Alex and Billy, I totally understand your dilemma, and I think everyone has this to some degree!

If I were you, I would just call it a 'small intimate wedding' with only the people you really love, and then invite everyone else in the evening! You can really arrange the day exactly how you please, you don't have to follow any set itinerary or protocol, so try not to let your MIL influence your thinking too much.

If you feel guilty about not inviting certain family members to the actual wedding ceremony, then you can help them feel more involved by adding more to the evening, e.g. speeches, cake cutting, wedding favours etc. Hope that helps :-)

xx

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I'm a great believer in people you know and love. close family and friends it would be for me and the rest of the family in the evening. If they only see each other at weddings and funerals they aren't close, they could chose to get together and dont! They will still b getting together at the evening do. If they are offended tough. I prefer the idea of marrying the one I love in front of close friends who I also love rather than aunts cousins their partners anf kids who I never see often or have never met. He can't help having a bigger family than you but if you never see them I would have friends over them.

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

Our registry office has a limit of 40, and that includes the photographer, so we went to first cousins on each side. Worked out roughly equal as while I have 2 sisters, with partners, and one has 2 kids, the OH is an only child, but has 3 cousins he wanted to invite, with partners and children. Only when he asked his mum for their addresses to send the invites to he was given a list of other people - cousins on his dad's side (the ones he's invited are his mums side), and she expected them to be there too! His dad died 11 years ago, so it's only really his mum who's kept up with them, whereas he's seen more of the ones who were invited.

If it's you and your OH who are paying for the wedding then I would put your foot down and just invite who YOU want to the ceremony itself. If they are helping out financially, then maybe agree to relax a bit for the evening. It's your day, and if she values her son and his wife to be she should respect your wishes to decide who's seeing you married

• B
    Beginner March 2016
    BuryBride ·
    • Hide content

We had a guest list rule - we only invite people we see regularly and send birthday and Christmas cards too. If people are not involved in your life I wouldn't feel guilty about not inviting them to the most special day you will share as a couple. Your day is about you two and if people don't understand then that's their problem. Don't get hung up on what others want. This is your day.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics