Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner August 2015

Guest list nightmare

henrysnugget, 10 of August of 2013 at 18:32 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and I need advice, I simply can't formulate a guest list without offending someone!

Thinking about August 2015 (sooner if budget allows), H2B's family is tiny and mine is huge but I have minimum contact with most. I have 3 adult nephews that I've not seen in 18 months + and 2 nieces that I see regularly, how do I invite the nieces and partners without inviting the nephews. Or do I leave them all out of the ceremony and just invite them all to the reception?

The guest list is giving me such a headache and seriously considering a very tiny wedding. Please help!

11 replies

Latest activity by gizmobear, 11 of August of 2013 at 23:22
  • Bookish
    Beginner August 2014
    Bookish ·
    • Hide content

I've got a big family on my mums side with over 20 cousins. I've only invited four of them to the day do, the ones I was closest to growing up. In some cases this has meant inviting a brother but not a sister etc. Tough!

Also, mu aunty is getting married in September. She's invited me but not my brothers. I don't think they're that bothered to be honest!

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

We don't have much family at all. We're having an intimate (tiny) wedding with 20 day guests & that's including us & our son. There's relatives we barely know & hardly see, they're all being invited to the evening do. Strictly immediate family & a few close friends. If the rest don't like it they can just not come to the reception. No point in both spending money on people you barely know and having them there for daytime when you barely see them. Don't worry about offending people, I did to begin with and now I just don't care. It's your day so do what you both want and that's it.

Welcome to hitched btw Smiley smile

• H
    Beginner August 2015
    henrysnugget ·
    • Hide content

I had a cousin that got married and didn't invite me but invited 2 of my 3 sisters. My uninvited sister and I were quite upset and I don't want to put anyone out, the idea of running away is becoming very appealing. Smiley smile

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

For this reason we're not inviting any cousins etc and leaving out brothers and sisters. Either a whole family or none of them, in our case they're all going to the reception as its better for as than them all coming to meals etc. They can like it or lump it.

• H
    Beginner August 2015
    henrysnugget ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Smiley smile A local hotel does a great package for the couple http://www.grandeastbourne.com/second-weddings very tempted by this as would be a great excuse to have very minimal guests. Have enquired about an evening do for extra family and friends Smiley smile

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Yeah you should go for something like that then Smiley smile
    As I say ours will be a church wedding, moving onto our venue for meals upstairs then head downstairs and by 7pm/7:30pm the evening guests will be arriving.
    Just don't want any hassle with invites etc so it was either keep it minimal or invite everyone and we weren't prepared to please everyone (and pay for them) so small wedding it is, like I say don't have a huge family anyway and we're quite shy people so the day will suit us perfectly Smiley smile

• Bookish
    Beginner August 2014
    Bookish ·
    • Hide content

I don't feel particularly bad because the ones I've invited are the ones I'm close to and speak to regularly. The others I see occasionally but most are a lot older or younger than me.

• H
    Beginner August 2015
    henrysnugget ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your replies ladies, hope it will all come together. Good luck to both of you for your big days Smiley smile

• Bookish
    Beginner August 2014
    Bookish ·
    • Hide content

And you. I hope you work it out Smiley smile

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No probs, you too Smiley smile You should stick around hitched. Get some of your plans and flashes up Smiley smile Good bunch of people, I love it !

• Siobhan200286
    Beginner August 2015
    Siobhan200286 ·
    • Hide content

I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but will answer anyway! My personal approach to this is, it is YOUR day, and you have to invite whoever you choose. I fully understand that is easier said than done but a lot of people understand that numbers are limited at weddings and it is never going to be possible to please everyone.

We have a similar situation in that my OH's family is quite extended. His cousins are closer in age to his mum (due to an age gap between her and her brothers) - so they have children - three boys and a girl in their 20s, plus a girl who will be 11 when we marry and will be a bridesmaid. We wanted to draw the line at cousins (apart from the 11 year old bridesmaid), but we think the 20-something girl would like to come (being a girly girl she loves a good wedding). So we now have a situation where we will be inviting her, but not her brother and her two cousins. OH is going to speak to their mothers to explain our reasoning - we are crossing our fingers that three 20-something boys won't be too upset about missing the actual wedding!!

Aggh sorry just realised this may not be at all helpful - just wanted to empathise and let you know you're definitely not the only one!! Good luck deciding ?

• gizmobear
    Beginner September 2013
    gizmobear ·
    • Hide content

We have also had this stress mainly on my fiances side, he has family all over the world, and we have just had to be strict. Its your day, the venue will have max numbers and you have not to even worry what guests will think. I had a stress though as some of my friends at work were invited to the day and others to the evening. I think they all expected day invites as I have been talking about the wedding at work. Oh well, I get on better with some than others. You have to be ruthless even if its out of character. Just because a group of people ie cousins or nieces etc are close to each other doesnt mean you're close to all of them so you're bound to want some there and not others. Go for it, invite who you want.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics