Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Princess_Dimples
Beginner August 2013

Guest List - Seating/Standing help!

Princess_Dimples, 30 March, 2011 at 09:13 Posted on Planning 0 13

Our Ceremony room only holds 65 seating, but the coordinator said we could remove chairs for standing.

What do you think about this?

At present we have approx 85!!! - we've only got 5 friends in that, and the rest are all family. Thing is I'm up for scrapping counsins, and giving them evening only, as they are all older now and drive, but OH won't scrap any of his in the fear of upseting people. If I scrap mine, it would be 5 less people. We could easily loose another 5-10 from his.

Do you think standing for a cival ceremony is an issue?

13 replies

Latest activity by Doris 5/10, 30 March, 2011 at 21:23
  • Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

How long will your service be?

I think it depends - 20-30mins for example is fine, but i'd be weary of anything longer . If you want a completely honest answer, i'd be shocked at having to stand and might not have consider that when choosing my shoes - so might be something to communicate in advance.

We have a church wedding and so i'd not be able to have standing guests - the service lasts 60 mins and i'd want them seated 15mins before plus standing time for the exit/photos would mean 2 hours on their feet.

• Princess_Dimples
    Beginner August 2013
    Princess_Dimples ·
    • Hide content

Service is about 20-30mins.

Yes your right about the foot wear aspect.

I hate this!!!!

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

We have maximum 65 too...and we currently have 96 people on our list! some of them we know arent coming and if we have the bridal party all standing, and all under 4's on laps, we're left with 12 people standing, we figured they can stand at the back / sides. We literally cant cut anymore people off. (well OH could but he wont...grrrr)

I just hope they dont start stopping people coming in!!!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I know trying to get a suitable solution can be a PITA!

Would you have all guests standing? Or just some? If so, you could make sure those who are standing know in advance etc and it could all work fine.

• Princess_Dimples
    Beginner August 2013
    Princess_Dimples ·
    • Hide content

It would only be some. 50 seated, the rest standing..approx 30-35

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Have you spoken to the registrar, there may be a number limit for fire regulations...... Most of the venue we went to said that you could only have x people including us tog and registrar and definitely no standing... which would be worse if you invited people and then they were not allowed in!! I would check with your registrar before you send the invites out!

• nicnol
    Beginner October 2011
    nicnol ·
    • Hide content

We have this problem too. We have a max of 74 coming (amount that can be seated for wedding breakfast) and going by the pic of the ceremony room looks like only 56 seats (7 rows of 4 on each side) I'm sure she said that it was 64 which would mean 10 standing.

So I thought i know I have 2 children who will def be on laps so that's 8 standing. The photographer is also a guest so thats 7 standing. Me and OH will be standing so that's down to 5 then in which case I'll get the ushers to stand at the back and then 3 random blokes who will be friends. I think that will work!

• Princess_Dimples
    Beginner August 2013
    Princess_Dimples ·
    • Hide content

Have spoken with venue, and they said its 65 seated, and 110 standing, so we're ok with the numbers!

I really want to cut it down, but the OH won't budge...it would save us money on the food front too!!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I have had to stand at a civil ceremony before The general atmosphere was fairly relaxed though, so we felt comfortable using the walls/sofa arms for support though.

• BustyB
    Beginner June 2012
    BustyB ·
    • Hide content

We are only allowed 55 guests to the ceremony, and our day list is 80 ish. So we are going to invite only family and best friends (who are in the bridal party) to the ceremony, and then the other 25 ish guests to the day and evening reception. Not sure if that is an option for you?

Bx

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

My venue has up to 12 seated and another 40 standing. It's a question of practicality because it's a working brewhouse and they can't get chairs into the place very easily. I'll be labelling the chairs - otherwise ladies in heels will try and pinch them!

I will warn guests though, just in case someone needs to reconsider their footwear...

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

I'd definitely be shocked if I attended a service and couldn't sit down - I'd probably end up stood behind some giant and then it'd be a waste of time me being there anyway!

Could you maybe tell people that they'll have to stand and give them the option of declining that part of the invite? Any elderly guests may just not be able to cope with it - and both my mum and MIL2B have very bad back problems and wouldn't appreciate having to stand

• Princess_Dimples
    Beginner August 2013
    Princess_Dimples ·
    • Hide content

The only oldies we have are my two nans, and OH's nan...they would have designated seating at the front anyway. I was thinking of informing everyone about the seating issue too,

I just made a suggestion to my mum...I'd put all names in a hat and just pick 65 at random!!! save's all the worry!!

• Doris 5/10
    Beginner May 2013
    Doris 5/10 ·
    • Hide content

What about asking the men to stand.............this may happen to me and I would ask a few uncles and younger male friends etc who I know would be happy to stand at the back. I'm sure they would be happy to stand if it means being part of your day.

Not sure if that helps?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics